U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM

10 posts, read 39,752 times

Advertisements

I'm about to relocate to another state and purchase a new car. I decided to sell my old one here, so I'm not thinking of trading in at all. Here's my dilemma. I want a high mpg car with a good enough resale value. I know that Honda fits the bill, but I've driven Hondas all my life and am really eager to drive something else. None of the Toyota cars appeal to me. I've been thinking of either getting a Nissan Rogue, other crossovers (which, again, offer good enough mpg), or a Jetta. But which would cost more to insure? Should I get a hybrid crossover, even though they are pricier? I've checked edmunds, consumer report, kbb.com etc. but still can't make up my mind. Also, I plan to pay in cash, and my budget is 23K at most.

Thanks in advance for your advice/input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 PM

19,456 posts, read 17,694,222 times
Well at 23k, you are very limited in crossovers. The Nissan Rogue or Toyota RAV4 or even the Subaru Forester may fit the bill. You will have to settle on the base models though.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,385,879 times
VW's have had problems. I would stay away from them, I would say Subaru is pretty reliable as well as stylish.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,061,805 times
high mpg and nissan rouge, or any other kind of "crossovers" don't belong in the same sentance. try a mazda3 hatch. you should get low to mid 30's on the highway.

i've got a subaru impreza wrx, but if you're looking for gas mileage it's only rated at 27mpg highway. the forester isn't better but the base model impreza is. my subarus are terrifically reliable. first wrx had 40K when i sold it and never had a warranty claim. current one has 21K and likewise. also my wife's mazda 6 now has 50K and only 1 claim - at 1500 miles the sun visor would not stay retracted fully (oh noes!!!)

Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,042,635 times
If a Rogue gives you good enough MPGs, consider also looking at a Subaru Impreza hatbhack, without the WRX trim.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,651,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpricey1s View Post
I've checked edmunds, consumer report, kbb.com etc. but still can't make up my mind.
Have you actually driven any of the vehicles in question yet?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 39,752 times
Quote:
Have you actually driven any of the vehicles in question yet?
Thanks guys. No, I haven't test driven any of them. I will eventually after narrowing down the options. Seems like people have suggested Subaru, but I heard that Subaru resale price isn't great though.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,290,513 times
For 23k, you're limited to compacts if you're buying new. A hybrid takes years and miles to recoup the cost, so its not necessarily the best choice. I know you're bored with Hondas, but the fact is, Honda is the only manufacturer that went with small cars with small engines when everyone else went towards big engine SUVs, and that's a great thing to have these days. Tha bad side is Hondas are selling at full price as they are in such demand now.

If you are looking at the Rogue, you probably want to look at the Subaru Forester - its considered a better car and it was just redesigned. Subarus have about the highest reliability you can get, and resale is fine. Both get similar mpg, but its low 20s. Compared to a Civic of Fit that get 30 mpg easily, you're looking at real money in gas savings, so you have to make that choice.

I suggest you go to dealer lots and look at the cars in question - salemen can be pushy, but just go and put your hands on the cars and get a feel for them, what you like, dislike, etc. Take notes, then think about what cars make your short list and what you can live with or without - things like high mpg, cargo capacity, etc.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM

32,320 posts, read 59,651,407 times
How long do you keep your cars? I wouldn't worry about resale value unless you're intending to keep the car for less than four years.

Test drive cars you can afford and that have the features you want, and buy what you like, not what you think someone else would like years down the road.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,061,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpricey1s View Post
Thanks guys. No, I haven't test driven any of them. I will eventually after narrowing down the options. Seems like people have suggested Subaru, but I heard that Subaru resale price isn't great though.
Where the heck did you hear that?!? It's excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive