Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Europeans have never been masters of electronics... always the Japanese and Americans. There is alot of semiconductor/electronic components in hybrids.
That's not entirely true. Granted that the Japanese and US are paving the way of electronics, don't cut out the EU yet! They have been on top of the diesel technology for some time!

Motor Authority » VW announces new hybrid and electric models
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
That's not entirely true. Granted that the Japanese and US are paving the way of electronics, don't cut out the EU yet! They have been on top of the diesel technology for some time!

Motor Authority » VW announces new hybrid and electric models
Im just saying they haven't really shown much innovation in that department. They are still clinging to their mechanical systems... which is fine, but everyone is caught up with mechanics already... not a whole lot of innovation has taken place with engine mechanics over the past 40 years, relatively speaking.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
I gottcha!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM

36 posts, read 171,866 times
Quote:
Europeans have never been masters of electronics... always the Japanese and Americans. There is alot of semiconductor/electronic components in hybrids.
You probably never heard of ASML, Philips or other companies like that. ASML used to have about 70-80% of the semiconductor market and is Dutch. Philips is known for a lot more that just lightbulbs, including electronic ocmponents and semiconductors.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiek View Post
You probably never heard of ASML, Philips or other companies like that. ASML used to have about 70-80% of the semiconductor market and is Dutch. Philips is known for a lot more that just lightbulbs, including electronic ocmponents and semiconductors.
Oh quite familiar actually, we have a couple machines here in the lab from ASML. Fact remains that Japanese and Americans have and continue to dominate electronic and semiconductor engineering.

Also ASML is only a litho company...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
The european automakers are smart enough to know that hybrids are a sham. But due to public demand they will be trickling out soon enough. You'll even see some diesel hybrids coming.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiek View Post
Not to mention developed the compact disc format.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
PHILIPS, SIEMENS, NOKIA, BANG&OLUFSON, ERIKCSON, VDO, BLAUPUNKT...It is seven am and it took me all of 30 seconds to put that list up! Your post does not hold water sorry I believe you no not of which you speek!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not to mention developed the compact disc format.
In the early '80s they even made VIDEO 2000 a VHS like player with a tape like a cassette tape where both sides could be used. playing time as I recall was 10 hours! It went the way of BetaMax, but was truely the better thatn VHS and Betamax.

My point being, "just because the products don't come to the USA does not mean that they don't have them "

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
PHILIPS, SIEMENS, NOKIA, BANG&OLUFSON, ERIKCSON, VDO, BLAUPUNKT...It is seven am and it took me all of 30 seconds to put that list up! Your post does not hold water sorry I believe you no not of which you speek!
I am confused on where you think I said that Europeans had no role in electronics... could you please point out where I said that? JAPANESE AND AMERICANS DOMINATE ELECTRONICS!!!

Oh, and at least I "speek" proper English...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive