U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM

2,077 posts, read 4,144,605 times

Advertisements

Not from your local hardware store, but a specialized tape produced by 3M! They have been using it on the Germany Army vehicles for years, and now it's being use for the public demand!

I'm getting bored of my blue Ford Focus! How's German Racing Silver! Or Sunburst Orange!

BMW owner tapes black car to white - Autoblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:35 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,102,155 times
We have the 3M tape on almost all of our cars...especially the long nosed low ones. But it is the clear tape....does wonderful in protecting from rocks and road spit up. Never have it in color form tho!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,810,493 times
how much does it cost

Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM

I'm still searching for companies in the US...hang tight!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:19 PM

7,932 posts, read 15,942,097 times
Very interesting, Brikag . . .

GO FOR IT and keep us updated!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM

So here's the scoop!

3M in the US (St. Paul HQ) does not have anything like this except the paint gaurd like ShelbyGirl1 has mentioned. 3M reps were very nice to talk to though. I talked to Mary Lou in their automotive department and she was surprised that Germany is taking it to the next level. I told her of the many blogs that I have seen about this product and she'll investigate it for me.

She also added that if she get's enough calls for the tape/film for the car, they'll concider it! She said I was the first to call about this. No one in their department has heard such a thing!

So let's start calling!!!!! Let's get it here!

Contact 3M in the United States

Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,520,634 times
I see vehicles w/ wraps on them ALL THE TIME. I'm sure it is the same kind of process as it does not damage the car or paint and can be removed later on. Several businesses have them and one is an insurance agent I see w/ a Chevy Tahoe and the ENTIRE thing is one GIANT rolling billboard as is a local tutoring service and a couple of others I see often.

As ShelbyGirl mentioned, BMW does have a clear shield that can go on the front and back bumpers to protect from rock chips and such. I'm thinking about getting it myself.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I see vehicles w/ wraps on them ALL THE TIME. I'm sure it is the same kind of process as it does not damage the car or paint and can be removed later on. Several businesses have them and one is an insurance agent I see w/ a Chevy Tahoe and the ENTIRE thing is one GIANT rolling billboard as is a local tutoring service and a couple of others I see often.

As ShelbyGirl mentioned, BMW does have a clear shield that can go on the front and back bumpers to protect from rock chips and such. I'm thinking about getting it myself.
Do it! BEFORE you get the rock chips! I might also add...you can actually by the 3M tape thru "whatever" dealer and do it yourself...BUT...having watched the guy at Porsche do one car...we opted for them to put it on. It can be a very tedious process....not to mention expensive if you screw it up!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,520,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Do it! BEFORE you get the rock chips! I might also add...you can actually by the 3M tape thru "whatever" dealer and do it yourself...BUT...having watched the guy at Porsche do one car...we opted for them to put it on. It can be a very tedious process....not to mention expensive if you screw it up!
I'm planning on it. We just put the BMW in the shop to get a new front AND rear bumper along w/ the door dings out. She looks GREAT!!! Front bumper was damaged as hubby put a tire off of one of his cars w/ the wheel still in it against the front wall of the garage and bumped into it while pulling it in. URGH! Cracked it of course. Back bumper - dh propped her french horn up on it to get it into the trunk THREE TIMES!

Hmmm, so Porsche does it as well????? Will they do a Cayenne? Both cars are black and if they get chips it shows. It really was not that expensive from what I remember seeing in the BMW catalog. A LOT cheaper than a new bumper. I would not do it at all. I'll pay them to do it.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm planning on it. We just put the BMW in the shop to get a new front AND rear bumper along w/ the door dings out. She looks GREAT!!! Front bumper was damaged as hubby put a tire off of one of his cars w/ the wheel still in it against the front wall of the garage and bumped into it while pulling it in. URGH! Cracked it of course. Back bumper - dh propped her french horn up on it to get it into the trunk THREE TIMES!

Hmmm, so Porsche does it as well????? Will they do a Cayenne? Both cars are black and if they get chips it shows. It really was not that expensive from what I remember seeing in the BMW catalog. A LOT cheaper than a new bumper. I would not do it at all. I'll pay them to do it.
Yup...we have a Cayenne Turbo and we worked that into the deal when it was bought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive