Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am hoping someone can answer this

I have a 2006 TSX and the back window defroster only "defrosts" the bottom 2/3s of the window
I took it in before and was told "dirt on the connectors" that they "cleaned"
Now noticing this happening again when I took the car in for the oil change I asked them to check because it was having the same problem
the Service Manager told me it is because the top 1/3 "wires" is the radio antenna and not defroster "wires"

Maybe it is me but I just don't understand because every other car I have had with a rear window defroster the whole window is defrosted add to that the "dirty connectors" explanation I got the first time and it make me wonder

So those with Acuras do you have the same defrost "pattern" of only the bottom 2/3

thanks

Last edited by FLPL75; 08-10-2008 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 AM

152 posts, read 651,369 times
Hi Karla with a K. I don't own an Acura but the bottom 2/3 is common with the top portion being the antanea. I'm just a little confused because you said at first 2/3 but ended your question with 1/3.

Don.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 AM

thanks don
I fixed it

so the top 1/3 should stay "fogged" then

Old 08-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Mine does but with the slope angle being what it is, the top 1/3 is not necessarily in my sight line for traffic behind me nor does it hinder my view for backing up.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 AM

thanks Don
I have a TL loaner and when I used the defrost yesterday morning there was only a 2" strip that didn't defrost not the 8 to 10"s I get
I guess what I need to find out, is how much of the the top third is antenna and if there is a mix of both in that section.
I wonder if there is a schematic for the back window in the Acura repair manual

Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 AM

I don't think that they would but I looked up for schematics for you and it brought up an item on a Honda forum. FM Stereo Reception/Rear Window Defroster - Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing. I'm also going to check mine out because I think that my window tinter may have broken a section of the defrost / antanae element.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:14 AM

hey don
well when I went to pick up my car yesterday the Service Manager had printed out the rear window schematics for me it appears that the top section is all antenna IMO not great design

Then service manager asked in his "I told you so about the antenna voice"
So how did you enjoy the TL loaner
He seemed surprised when I said "not really I prefer my TSX"
Not satisfied he said "But the TL s much quicker"
Sigh
So I just looked him straight in the face and said "have you driven the TSX with the 6 speed manual" No hmmm go give it a try "

Yup he did lol and he came back with this "little boy with a new toy" look on his face

p.s. I have heard that a lot of folks run into that problem when getting their windows tinted

Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Well, at least you now know the status on your rear defrost. Since you live in Florida, you don't need to use it to defrost ice like I do. If you use it to defog, try your air cond. for a few minutes.
+1 on a TSX with a 6 speed tranny. Nice car and I bet that the "little boy with a new toy" look on his face gave you great pleasure in a "I told you so!" kinda way.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 AM

funny thing is we do get ice & frost 2 or 3 times a year
I laugh when I see the neighbors out there using anything from CDs to credit cards to scrape off the ice
fogged & dew covered windows are pretty much a daily thing from june till sept
I keep a squeegee in the car instead of a ice scraper but you know those mornings when your rushing !!!

rofl and I did tell him "I told you so " !!!!!

I am friends with the manager of the dealership and when I went in Sat for service it turns out the new service manager they gave me was someone I knew years ago (small world) so I had even more fun giving him a hard time

I will try the A/C thing to help defrost the front window faster , thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
funny thing is we do get ice & frost 2 or 3 times a year
I laugh when I see the neighbors out there using anything from CDs to credit cards to scrape off the ice
fogged & dew covered windows are pretty much a daily thing from june till sept
I keep a squeegee in the car instead of a ice scraper but you know those mornings when your rushing !!!

rofl and I did tell him "I told you so " !!!!!

I am friends with the manager of the dealership and when I went in Sat for service it turns out the new service manager they gave me was someone I knew years ago (small world) so I had even more fun giving him a hard time

I will try the A/C thing to help defrost the front window faster , thanks
Cool. I was suggesting to use your ac's cooler air to reach the rear window and that should help to clear it. For example - point your dash vents upward and straight towards the back with the blower on high. kinda like how when your driver's window is down and you're in motion, you can notice the driver's side rear window start to clear. I know this may sound confusing but give it a try.
Don.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive