U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM

160 posts, read 501,399 times
Default How long does it really take to fix a car?

So I bought a new 08 Jetta five weeks ago. After having the car 6 days, we were in an accident where we were pushed of the road and we ended up side-swiping a light post. So we had the car towed directly to the dealership we bought it at, seeing that they have a great body shop on site. We'll they have had the car for 4 weeks and still are not done. When I first talked to them they said it would take 3 weeks tops. Last Wednesday they told me it would be done by yesterday... right at the 4 week mark. So I call this morning to find out and I have now been told it will take another week or two. I am so upset right now. I feel like I keep getting the run around.

Here is a pic of it after the accident.. Does this really look like 6 weeks of work?

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 AM

3,581 posts, read 6,788,949 times
It isn't just the time to fix the car, but the time to get the parts and your place in line.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM

160 posts, read 501,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It isn't just the time to fix the car, but the time to get the parts and your place in line.
Every time I talked to the guy he said we're in the process of working on it... they're currently working on this ... and he'd tell me what they were doing at that exact moment. I know it takes time to get the parts, but each time I talk to him he tells me that they have everything and its "almost" done. I think if you promise someone that the car will be ready (he's done that almost 3 times) that you should have pretty good insight on whether or not the car will actually be done. Last week he said the car was in the paint room and needed to dry and was headed over to service to get the air bags stuffed in and a few random things... now he's tell me the car has not even been painted yet. Get your **** straight and give me an honest answer. Thats my problem.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM

7,377 posts, read 11,499,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Well said..!
If the tech had all of the parts, started on it the day it arrived, and was only working on your job, it would be done in a week, but that isn't real life.
First, it could take a week or more before your insurance company goes to the body shop to examine your car, estimate the damage, and give the shop the go ahead to get started. No shop is going to touch it until they have authorization. They want to know for sure they will get paid.
Then the shop schedules your job when a tech is free. The guy working on your job is working on several others. If he needs a part, he orders it and goes to work on another vehicle. Some parts may take time to get, sometimes the wrong part arrives and has to be reordered. When the part arrives, the tech will get back on it when the project he is now working on is done. If he was assigned to work only on your car, he would soon starve to death.
There are many factors that add to the time of a job. Maybe the tech was out sick for a week. Perhaps the management just plain sucks..? Things happen in life.
To you, it seems like forever because it's the number one priority in your life, to the shop, it's a number on the job board. I know it's frustrating, but it will soon be just a distant, unpleasant memory....
Good luck....

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 AM

152 posts, read 311,038 times
+1 for what Donn2390 said however, that does not constitute a fabrication of stories when one tends to accept the truth in the day to day operation of commerce/business.
I'd be livid as well and more so when lies come to play. X, you should contact the GM of that stealership and complain. Also, when and if you receive a customer satisfaction survey form.
Don.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 AM

140 posts, read 499,863 times
I would ask then what the hold-up is. Why do they keep extending the done date?
Is it a parts aval issue. Being I work as a Parts Manager, I know the factories have problems getting parts at times. And the way they ship them to the dealership has gotten worse in recent times. They are looking to save $$ by shipping them econo.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 AM

152 posts, read 311,038 times
There are tons of viable excuses but they should always be stated. Their reputation would be much better if they maintained an honest relationship with customers.
There are other places that do the same business and one's reputation - good or bad determines future business from word of mouth or return business.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM

7,377 posts, read 11,499,881 times
[quote=Don57;4828849 however, that does not constitute a fabrication of stories when one tends to accept the truth in the day to day operation of commerce/business.Don.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I wrote my response before seeing all xfountaingirl said about lies and excuses. If it's a dealership, I would talk to the GM and give him a day by day written scenario of exactly what you have experienced. Give a copy to the body shop manager. It may help, but if you picked a bad bunch to do business with, you may have no choice but to bite your tongue and wait it out. I would tell them that it better be the best job they ever turned out, or you will be living in his office forever..!
There are no good excuses for stringing you along for that long. Saying it was painted when it never was isn't an excuse, it's a lie. If it were me, and I lived close, I would be there checking on it daily. You would most likely see it getting a sun bath....

Old 08-12-2008, 11:44 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,600,892 times
Ever talked to anyone who was trying to restore an old car and hired a body shop to do the work? Yes they usually end up with it for 6 months or more.

Not saying that they're going to have your car that long but from what I have seen body work is a time consuming job. That's why it's so tedious....and expensive.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM

946 posts, read 1,503,134 times
If you can wait as long as possible, let them take their time and do it right. If you continue to rush them they will get angry, do a poor job and say here take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive