U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

21,682 posts, read 37,010,844 times
Question Haze, Fog How Do You Get Rid Of It?

It hasnt rain here in NC in ages and last night I was having some serious issues seeing due to either the Haze on the Windsheild or the Fog that would build on the inside or outside of the glass.

I pulled over and wipe the interior side of the windsheild with windex then I spray the outside to see if it would help with the haze but it is still there.
I tried pouring coke on it but that seem not to work this time.
I think the haze is accumilation of drive thru car wash wax .

Fog:

NOt only am I dealing with the haze issue my windows fog up easily when it rains. I turn the a/c to the windshield and turn the air conditioner on to high and that only works sometimes or it will work but later develop a fog on the outside of the glass.

Which is better full blast of cold air or hot air?

Thanks I dont think I ever want to drive in the rain in the night again you just dont know how tense I was.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,778,950 times
For haze on the inside of the glass, turning on the car's a/c and the vents to defrost mode helps me. If you don't have a/c in your car, a blast of heat works to dry out the windows also. l've also used an application of Rain-X to help too.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM

3,108 posts, read 923,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
l've also used an application of Rain-X to help too.

Thats what I use. They are little wipes would wipe the inside glass with and it stops it from fogging up.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
If you have a haze buildup on the inside one of the neater products to deal with it is Invisible Glass Wipes from Stoner - you should be able to find these at any big chain auto store. Once you get it clean, you can apply an anti-fog type spray or cleaner.

If you have some sort of buildup on the outside, Invisible Glass spray (or the wipes) should take it off. Some people like to use Bon Ami cleaner to give the glass a good scrub. You should avoid spray waxes on the outside of the windshield, they will make your wipers streak. Maybe you need new wiper blades or refills?

The A/C will help with fogging inside the glass. If you leave it on full cold, it will tend to fog the outside of the windshield, but the wipers should clean that off, a sweep every now and then should be enough.

NC is a very humid area. I enjoyed working contract there for a while but wouldn't want to live there, and the humidity is a big part of why.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,329,871 times
I always turn on the defroster and set it between hot and cold. Usually does the trick.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,815,077 times
I never go anywhere without Rain-X on my windshield and in my windshield washer. Wiper motor went out in my car once and I went 4 years just using Rain-X, no wipers.
If the weather isn't real cool when it fogs up on the inside, roll your window down a little bit till it clears.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Ok I went shopping at Auto Zone and bought the rain x anti fogger and the rain x applicator for the outside.

I put the anti fogger on then sprayed windex on the outside and used a razor blade to see if I could get that wax scrape off the outside windsheild then I use the rain x applicator on the windsheild after I dried it off.

This help both problems some what but the haze on the outside is still distracting .

It hasnt rain in this area for some time and I would say I auto wax the car probably least once every month so there probably 6 applications of it that I am trying to get rid of. I think maybe wipe it with a hot rag would help or pour hot water on the windsheild?

My wipers are ok I replaced them about 3 months ago with Bosch Wipers

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,842,095 times
I think your Ac is on the fritz

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
I think your Ac is on the fritz
it blows cold air when on a/c and blows warm air on heat all vents work does not sound like a fritz to me

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,815,077 times
Sunny, have you tried some ammonia and water (light on the water) to clean your windshield? Don't know about it getting all that wax off but it sure does a number on the bugs and junk that hit the windshield before I put the Rain X on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive