U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,535,678 times
Default Replacement Key for older Buick?

I just bought a 1999 Buick Regal- it was a very good deal, and the car was very well kept. The only problem... I only have a key for the ignition, and a button keychain for the auto-locks and trunk, and there is supposed to be another key to open the glovebox, the trunk, and the back seat-to-trunk passthrough- I dont have it, and the dealer doesn't either (he bought the car at auction, so did not ever deal with the original owners). Does anyone know if I can get the key from Buick, maybe with my VIN #? It's not a huge inconvenience, so I probably would not pay to have those things re-keyed, but if anyone knows how I might get a copy of the original key... that would be nice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 AM

4,212 posts, read 10,873,445 times
If it's a standard key and not one of those expensive chipped keys, about any lock smith can make you one.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,069,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If it's a standard key and not one of those expensive chipped keys, about any lock smith can make you one.
My G/F's 1999 Chevy Lumina has a chipped key; we took her original and had one made (using a genuine GM blank) for $25 at Ace Hardware.

Ao for a door/trunk key: they are the traditional ones that hail for at least 1969 so having a locksmith making another should be no drama.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 PM

140 posts, read 482,434 times
You can get a trunk/door key cut at your local GM dealer with the VIN number ,but you will need proof of ownership (title) and photo Id. This is a requirement that GM requires of all its dealerships ,to keep a record of who is getting keys cut by VIN.
There have been incidents of keys cut for people that didn't own the car but said they did.
I (a GM Parts Manager) charge between $12-15 for a VIN cut non chip key.
I have been told a locksmith is more..

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 25,770 times
have no chipped key to my 1997 mustang heard I can get one programmed and maid at ace hardware

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 25,770 times
[quote=crcif;8908971]have no chipped key to my 1997 mustang heard I can get one programmed and made at ace hardware for around 70 bucks

Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
A really good professional locksmith can probably look up the key code using the VIN.

Being an old car guy, to me 1999 is not that old.

The key you are missing would not have a chip.

It may be possible for a locksmith to "impression" the existing locks with a blank.

Just find yourself a good locksmith - although, the dealer should be able to help you out too. If not - Keep his cluelessness in mind when you need other service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive