U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 PM

243 posts, read 1,034,762 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I've never really used the automotive forum before so I hope this is an appropriate post. I'll try to keep it short...I was in an accident last week and my car was totalled. I have a rental car til Monday and need to purchase a replacement before then as I'd prefer not to pay for a rental car. I've been considering trading in my car for a Honda Accord (coupe) for quite some time, though I'm wondering if the Civic is a better idea since it is cheaper. On the other hand, I just saw the two door Altima and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Normally I spend months researching a major purchase like this and now I have a week to decide and buy. Was wondering if anyone had any advice between the two (Accord vs. Altima) or if my idea of the Civic due to price was better.

Some background - I could afford any of the three cars, though I hadn't wanted a car payment for another year or so as we're in the process of buying a house. Any help is definitely appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:43 AM

25,585 posts, read 30,229,791 times
Either of the Honda would be good. The Civic is slightly smaller than the Accord if I recall correctly.

Altima is also a good car. Of the three I would pick the Accord.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:02 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,100,924 times
If you plan to keep your car for awhile, the #10 car on lists of the least expensive cars to own (fuel, repairs...) is the Honda Civic DX Sedan. However, most people don't keep cars very long (my wife) and I buy a car with the anticipation of selling it in a couple of years. On your list, the Honda Accord is the #2 car on lists of all cars with the highest residual value, 2nd only to the Mini Cooper. If you buy a used Accord, you might as well buy a new one, as the price doesn't drop much. It would be a good investment.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM

41,506 posts, read 49,169,921 times
Hionda, Toyota, Nissan, GM - Find a car about 4 -6 years old, make all necessary repairs add new shocks and tires, and save a lot of money. Cars are transportation not ego, so minimize your expenses.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,530,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
Normally I spend months researching a major purchase like this and now I have a week to decide and buy. Was wondering if anyone had any advice between the two (Accord vs. Altima) or if my idea of the Civic due to price was better.
You need to test-drive all three cars. Once you do, I would imagine that you'll have a very good idea which one you want to put in your garage.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks! I test drove the Altima and loved it last night. Am test driving the two Honda's tonight.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

42,089 posts, read 49,227,596 times
If you can afford all three, I agree with 8 Snake. Drive 'em, flip all the switches inside, and then pick your favorite.

I have to spend a lot of time in my car every time I go to work, so enjoying my ride is really important. Figure out what's important to you and pick the car that addresses that point. Based on the three cars you've mentioned, performance and driving excitement are not high on your list. Figure out what is and then see which car fits the best.

Good luck and have fun! Getting a new car is always exciting!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM

48,289 posts, read 38,915,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
Hi -

I've never really used the automotive forum before so I hope this is an appropriate post. I'll try to keep it short...I was in an accident last week and my car was totalled. I have a rental car til Monday and need to purchase a replacement before then as I'd prefer not to pay for a rental car. I've been considering trading in my car for a Honda Accord (coupe) for quite some time, though I'm wondering if the Civic is a better idea since it is cheaper. On the other hand, I just saw the two door Altima and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Some background - I could afford any of the three cars, though I hadn't wanted a car payment for another year or so as we're in the process of buying a house. Any help is definitely appreciated, thank you!
Consider what kind of deal you can actually get on the 3. With gas prices higher lately the Civic might be closer in final price than you think.

Toyota Corolla is another great car in that general range too.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM

I just like the way they look.

I am not at all excited about getting a new car. This is definitely due to necessity. A tire (wheel included) bounced off the interstate and went through my windshield last week, totalling the car. I am really lucky I am even here to be car shopping, considering the tire hit right where my head was.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM

3,968 posts, read 9,819,289 times
Is your car primarily used for commuting or does it need to be a certain size? Will you be driving clients around? Do you have kids to cart around?

We choose different cars based on the above criteria. DH just needs a small commuter car. I need to drive the family car because I usually have kids with me.

the commuter car gets 40mpg.

If I were to buy a car today, I would look at mileage and price. I would choose a corolla over a prius simply because the gas difference is minimal when you consider it would take around 10 years to break even price wise.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive