U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM

5,271 posts, read 20,557,881 times

Advertisements

Colors are chosen based upon customer focus groups and past sales. Bright color cars are simply not popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

7,671 posts, read 24,832,031 times
Remember the "coral" Ford Probe? Yeah, that was pink. Good luck getting anyone to buy one!

On the other hand, I recently had to sell an orange car and I didn't have any problem getting a buyer.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM

732 posts, read 3,756,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Colors are chosen based upon customer focus groups and past sales. Bright color cars are simply not popular.
Bright clothes seem to sell well. Especially in minorities. I am sure if they offered cars in the same colors, they would by them, if affordable.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM

15,458 posts, read 29,006,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A great example there, such a wide range of colors!
I would choose that 1970 Dodge Dart 340 in True Blue Ird.
Oh - give me Moulin Rouge! Wow what a nice color.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 AM

4,220 posts, read 20,113,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Give me a plastic bumper with lap and shoulder belts and airbags, over that unsafe crap that used to be on the roads (lap belts only, no airbags, ridiculously hard and unsafe steering wheels and primitive, crappy brakes/handling).
Lol it's funny how there have been MANY people who have lived thru those unsafe cars to tell about it. But it's hard for a lad born in the 80's to understand that.

Anyways, as I seem to recall pastel colors were hot at one time. In the late 1980's. Back when mullets and parachute pants were all the rage and Madonna wore a coned bra. In 1969-70-71 Chrysler came out with the "high impact colors" that were a step beyond the norm at the time. Not sure if they were not good sellers or what, but by '72 it seems those colors sort of took an exit stage left much like the muscle car did. Ford also had a few high impact colors such as Grabber Green (was a bright greenish-blue color) and an Orange that used to be found on Boss Mustangs from 1970.

Today I think it's going to largely depend on what the buyer wants, but I will agree if they had more colors available it would break up the norm some. Then again I did notice the newer VW bug can come in a "ladybug" reddish-orange color as well as a creamy lemon. The new Mustang sometimes can be found in a bright orange similar to the color they were using 38 years ago.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM

31,043 posts, read 56,785,625 times
Hey, I really like that "Curious Yellow." No way could the guy that plows into you say "But officer ... I didn't see the other car!" LOL

[/quote=JoeCartpath;5319559]I think one reason so many people go for the neutral colors is that they hide dirt![/quote]
Amen to that, but I'd rather wash my car more often than have a boring-colored car.

Quote:
Then again I did notice the newer VW bug can come in a "ladybug" reddish-orange color
My neighbor has a Pepto-pink Beetle convertible. All she needs are some flower power stickers.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,648,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Lol it's funny how there have been MANY people who have lived thru those unsafe cars to tell about it. But it's hard for a lad born in the 80's to understand that.
And MANY who didnt make it. And FYI, I wasnt born in the 80s, and my family drove older cars even well into the 80s.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,347,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Color is hard to resell, so people avoid it. Many people also don't care about cars, they see them as appliances, and like appliances, they are neutral colored. "Fun" cars can be had in colorful paints, but you won't find such plebeian cars as Camrys and Accords with decent color. Americans are also just conservative about color. Bright reds and yellows are about as fun as American cars get.
I totally agree. Also, odd colors date a car....just like the appliances you mentioned. The manufacturers don't go there because the majority of the people who purchase cars really don't want to get out of the mainstream for resell value. For the past 30 years, every car I've purchased was either white or silver.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM

26,498 posts, read 37,770,550 times
Both our cars are silver or close to it.

1. We like the colors

2. They don't show dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The main reason is that the buying public doesn't want a car with color. I sell Hondas and I agree that they are mostly earth tones: silver, gray, tan, black and white are the main colors people want. Most don't want even want the reds or blues. As for more out there colors, orange, yellow, purple, pink, people are afraid that such an odd color won't resell.

Because you as an individual like more personality in a color, the overall research (and believe me these car manufacturers research this) says these colors won't sell. These guys want to sell cars and aren't going to risk funky colors.

You will also find that the more expensive a car is, the more conservative the color. Almost all BMWs and Benzes are either black, white or silver. The grays and tans are even hard to find in these. Economy cars and pickups are more likely to have louder colors. As far as the Hondas I sell, only the S2000 convertible and the tiny Fit come in Yellows, oranges and bright blues. The Civic has a brighter blue too, but the rest of the lineup is pretty conservative.
We bought a Maxima in '03. There were some beautiful colors available, but the dealer only had the bland ones. I asked and they said they couldn't sell them. Well, I said, you didn't sell me one, but not because I didn't want it. We bought Platinum something or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Color is hard to resell, so people avoid it. Many people also don't care about cars, they see them as appliances, and like appliances, they are neutral colored. "Fun" cars can be had in colorful paints, but you won't find such plebeian cars as Camrys and Accords with decent color. Americans are also just conservative about color. Bright reds and yellows are about as fun as American cars get.
Yeah, that Blue Ribbon Metallic is such a drab color on a Camry.

Toyota Camry - 2009 Pictures & Photo Gallery

Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 PM

4,220 posts, read 20,113,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And MANY who didnt make it.
Yeah and today there's also many who don't make it when their car crumples up like an accordion. About the only good point I saw was shoulder belts, which have been in service since the 60's. Airbags are for those who don't want to wear their belts. Where you get your "unsafe steering wheels" is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive