U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,222,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Does anybody else wish that cars came in prettier colors?
Blame your fellow Americans. People who buy cars worry about resale. You may like a bright red car, but what if no one else does? That's why black, white and silver will always be popular. I've never owned a car that was a real color. Instead I had black, white, gold, gray, etc. The last time I went car shopping, I really wanted to get red. But not a bright red. More like the red you associate with rich luxury cars. The car I got offered a red, but the dealer couldn't get it for me in time. Plus, the red looked kinda brownish. So I went with black. Pain to keep clean, but it looks so awesome, especially with the light interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM

864 posts, read 2,980,835 times
I'm not sure but I'm afraid 70s color hues may be making a comeback in the near future. Working at the Port of Portland yesterday, I moved a good number of new Hyundais with a 2-tone brown interior straight out of 1977. One of them was coupled with an equally hideous brown metallic and the other with what can only be described as Kiwi Green.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I'm not sure but I'm afraid 70s color hues may be making a comeback in the near future. Working at the Port of Portland yesterday, I moved a good number of new Hyundais with a 2-tone brown interior straight out of 1977. One of them was coupled with an equally hideous brown metallic and the other with what can only be described as Kiwi Green.
Was this the Sonata? I saw the two-tone beige interior. They made the lower half black on all their interiors because it's easier to keep clean. Personally, I'm not a fan of that look. I also didn't care for the matching inserts on the steering wheel.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM

864 posts, read 2,980,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Was this the Sonata? I saw the two-tone beige interior. They made the lower half black on all their interiors because it's easier to keep clean. Personally, I'm not a fan of that look. I also didn't care for the matching inserts on the steering wheel.
The new Tucson actually. The seats, steering wheel and upper dash are all dark brown but the lower dash and door panels are a lighter tan.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Besides resale, some cars just look wrong in bright colors.

I'm ahuge fan of bright colored cars.. If they are the right cars. my '63 Comet is getting painted a blend to the new Lamborghini pearl yellow and pearl orange. my Fiat 124 was the Mustang Sonic Blue, and my MGB is Volvo saffron pearl.

I've had cars in bright red:

Purple:

BTW, that was a '93 Ford Probe color...

Lavender:

and even light pink:

My current daily driver, however, is black on black, and I absolutely love it, so sinister.

I may repaint it, however, in a dark candy red that looks black until the sunlight hits it, like this photoshop I did:

Interstingly enough, even that car was available in a few other brighter colors:

Imola red is rare but desired:

And actually fetches more money than normal colors for these cars.

Alpina blue is also a favorite:

Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
More bright colors:

The first with a touch of the second is what I'm using on my Comet..

And then there's the green...

Chrysler has returned Plum Crazy and a pearl version of Panther Pink to the lineup:

so it's not all drab out there...

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM

11 posts, read 36,524 times
i am also fed up wid these colors... i m waitin for new color .. something different... like burgundy....., bottle green, any new color, actually i m thinking of buying a new car, may b in Ford, Accords and Camrys... but they are not having new color.... just waitin for that..... i dont want old black, brown and white , e1 i had started hating them.... plz sumbody suggest to them to change the colorrsssssss plzzzzzzzz

Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,233,570 times
Well Teal worked on the old American cars, it looked good. Can you imagine a 2010 Accord in Teal? If so you have a better imagination than I. Yuck! Like in the 90's when GM had Cavaliers and Camaro's in Teal and Purple. Yuck! You really can't go wrong with Black or Silver. As many as there are on the road, they look good imo. White is just wrong, once again unless it's an exotic or an old muscle car. Certain models, and certain era's of cars have colors to match their integrity and design. That's why your not seeing many "peach" cars on the road today.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,027,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For many long years now I have been very unhappy with the color selections of the American Automobile. Usually limited to Black, White, Beige, shades of Grey, Silver, and Red, the American roadways are filled with the most drab, boring colored cars in the universe.

Oh, once in a while there is a blue that pops up - sometimes a green. For a while there you could get a Focus and a few other cars in Cheese Can Yellow (ewwww).

I'd love to see PRETTY cars on the road. Nice pastel blues, greens, pinks! Maybe a lemon yellow or nice peach color. Why not???? Why do we have to have these horrible, nasty, boring, dull colors to choose from?

Back about a zillion years ago I had a lime green volkswagon bug. It was, shall we say, noticeable. I had it for several years and then had it painted the most gorgeous color of pinkish beige. I currently have a black car, but when the day comes to paint it, I'm going for a rich, royal purple! That should be fantastic.

Does anybody else wish that cars came in prettier colors?

20yrsinBranson

There is a silly stupid mindset in the car companies that they want "earthtones" for colors. That's why there is no longer good colors on vehicles. And interior colors are even worst. It would benefit the car companies if they never used a gray or tan of any sort inside a car / truck again forever!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM

6,892 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
There is a silly stupid mindset in the car companies that they want "earthtones" for colors. That's why there is no longer good colors on vehicles. And interior colors are even worst. It would benefit the car companies if they never used a gray or tan of any sort inside a car / truck again forever!
Sorry, those that want bright colors in a car are in the minority. I sell Hondas and Hondas for the most part are conservative in the color palate. We have a green right now in the Accord, Mystic Green Metallic that is actually very muted, a medium gray with a green hint, kind of like a coke bottle, and it sits on the lot longer than any other color. The red and blue are both subdued and dark, but they sell less than the earth colors.

White and Silver are the top two color choices followed by black and gray. The champagne/tan/gold colors are fading in popularity, but still sell. These five monotone colors far outsell even conservative blues and reds.

In this day and age, car companies are having to cut costs and having a plethora of exotic colors that only a handful of people would want is not cost efficient. This is a purchase that starts in the $20k and up range. It's not like a piece of cloth for a dress or shirt that costs just a few dollars.

Cars will continue to be conservative in color for the most part. Sports cars and economy cars can come in louder colors, but mainstream sedans, vans and suvs will continue to be made majority wise in the five "colorless" tones: White, Black, Silver, Tan and Gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive