Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

For many long years now I have been very unhappy with the color selections of the American Automobile. Usually limited to Black, White, Beige, shades of Grey, Silver, and Red, the American roadways are filled with the most drab, boring colored cars in the universe.

Oh, once in a while there is a blue that pops up - sometimes a green. For a while there you could get a Focus and a few other cars in Cheese Can Yellow (ewwww).

I'd love to see PRETTY cars on the road. Nice pastel blues, greens, pinks! Maybe a lemon yellow or nice peach color. Why not???? Why do we have to have these horrible, nasty, boring, dull colors to choose from?

Back about a zillion years ago I had a lime green volkswagon bug. It was, shall we say, noticeable. I had it for several years and then had it painted the most gorgeous color of pinkish beige. I currently have a black car, but when the day comes to paint it, I'm going for a rich, royal purple! That should be fantastic.

Does anybody else wish that cars came in prettier colors?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
I agree. We always joke about the white, silver, or gold cars in the parking lots. We see a lot in, what we call, "grandma blue". I like the bright reds because you don't see too many. Our Toyota is bright red. I don't know why so many people buy silver.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Because today's cars are ugly. The classics had so much style while today's are just drab and unsightly.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Because today's cars are ugly. The classics had so much style while today's are just drab and unsightly.
Well, I sure can't argue that point. I totally agree!

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For many long years now I have been very unhappy with the color selections of the American Automobile. Usually limited to Black, White, Beige, shades of Grey, Silver, and Red, the American roadways are filled with the most drab, boring colored cars in the universe.

Oh, once in a while there is a blue that pops up - sometimes a green. For a while there you could get a Focus and a few other cars in Cheese Can Yellow (ewwww).

I'd love to see PRETTY cars on the road. Nice pastel blues, greens, pinks! Maybe a lemon yellow or nice peach color. Why not???? Why do we have to have these horrible, nasty, boring, dull colors to choose from?

Back about a zillion years ago I had a lime green volkswagon bug. It was, shall we say, noticeable. I had it for several years and then had it painted the most gorgeous color of pinkish beige. I currently have a black car, but when the day comes to paint it, I'm going for a rich, royal purple! That should be fantastic.

Does anybody else wish that cars came in prettier colors?

20yrsinBranson
It's not just American cars. Most others, too.
For instance, an Acura TL is not available in green (not that I would want a green car). According to the brochure, only 9 colors are available.

The Lincoln Town Car has a good choice of colors... 16 including some two-tones.

Going back a few decades, the 1968 Cadillac offered 21 color choices, 5 vinyl top options and an incredible 147 upholstery combinations!

I have a 1969 Cadillac data book and what was offered by that company back then is amazing. For example, you could order a Cadillac with white seats and green carpet. A Fleetwood 60-special or Brougham could be ordered with a leather front seat and a cloth rear seat.
"Expanded leather" (leather on non-seating areas) was also available (still available on some of the expensive cars today).

And a past model color could be ordered.
Example: A 1969 Cadillac could be ordered in a 1964 Lime (green) or in a 1959 Seminole Red.

There really was a great choice back then!

Many '60s/early '70s cars had nice colors. Here are some:
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340-6 Pack

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 Magnum

1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440 Magnum, 1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6 bbl

(Back to front: 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, '76 Fleetwood 75 Limousine)

1967 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
NOT all new or newer vehicles are BLAND, Branson.

Last edited by Bummer; 12-14-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,452 times
Thanks for this observation! I've noticed that all new cars are light bronze, silver, bronze-silver, or silver-bronze. Every now and then a bright orange Cuda or green 442 blows by. It's a welcome relief to see the spirit has not completely died.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
It sure would be nice to have CHROME bumpers and trim again. Painted cheap plastic is just....ugly. Even on the older cars with colored bumpers (GTO, Challenger, etc) There were distinct bumpers that were not just plastic covered with plastic like we have today. The interiors still had some chrome and color.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
The main reason is that the buying public doesn't want a car with color. I sell Hondas and I agree that they are mostly earth tones: silver, gray, tan, black and white are the main colors people want. Most don't want even want the reds or blues. As for more out there colors, orange, yellow, purple, pink, people are afraid that such an odd color won't resell.

Because you as an individual like more personality in a color, the overall research (and believe me these car manufacturers research this) says these colors won't sell. These guys want to sell cars and aren't going to risk funky colors.

You will also find that the more expensive a car is, the more conservative the color. Almost all BMWs and Benzes are either black, white or silver. The grays and tans are even hard to find in these. Economy cars and pickups are more likely to have louder colors. As far as the Hondas I sell, only the S2000 convertible and the tiny Fit come in Yellows, oranges and bright blues. The Civic has a brighter blue too, but the rest of the lineup is pretty conservative.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
Color is hard to resell, so people avoid it. Many people also don't care about cars, they see them as appliances, and like appliances, they are neutral colored. "Fun" cars can be had in colorful paints, but you won't find such plebeian cars as Camrys and Accords with decent color. Americans are also just conservative about color. Bright reds and yellows are about as fun as American cars get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive