Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I have a '99 Chevy Tahoe that just rolled over 174K miles. I should have replaced it about 3 years ago, but now I'm stuck with it and morbid curiosity makes me wonder how far it will go.

It is time for new brakes. The transmission broke down at about 127K miles and I had the brakes replaced when that was remedied. Nothing has been done to the vehicle aside from oil and filter replacement since.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Just Brakes. I'm thinking about going in there and telling them that I will not pay for any work I do not authorize and just getting the basic service that they have been advertising. Should I give it a try or just take it to the dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Offhand I would say either just replace the pads yourself, which is not hard at all, if you can change a flat tire you are halfway there - failing that how about a good independent shop? IIRC this truck has 4 wheel disc brakes, they are easy to work on. Do you actually need brakes, if so, do you need the front only or all 4 wheels?

I would really suggest a complete change of brake fluid if it's dark, this will tend to prevent brake system leaks.

174K for a small-block Chevy engine, if well-cared-for, really is not extreme.

We don't have Just Brakes here, but I am skeptical as to what benefit a franchise can bring to the table when changing the brake shoes on a truck like yours. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I always do my brakes myself. They charge astronomical prices to cover the liability insurance. The probelm is that if you do not do it yourself, how will you know the truth when they say the rotors are warped, or the calipers need rebuilding or replacement?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Good point Coldjensens! Assuming the disc or drum is not obviously worn, I usually just leave the disc on the spindle, replace the pads, and go on down the road. I usually *don't* cheap out on pads/shoes though, for obvious reasons.

This is amazingly easy on our Subaru, BTW. Remove one bolt, swing the caliper up, pull old pads, retract piston, put in new pads, swing down, replace bolt, done. Takes only a little longer to do it than it does to describe it.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
While I don't have personal experience with the chain. They were nailed in Charlotte 10 years ago for selling unneccessary repairs and gouging customers.

We have them here in Vegas, but with their track record I wouldn't recommend them.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Hey guys. I have a '99 Chevy Tahoe that just rolled over 174K miles. I should have replaced it about 3 years ago, but now I'm stuck with it and morbid curiosity makes me wonder how far it will go.

It is time for new brakes. The transmission broke down at about 127K miles and I had the brakes replaced when that was remedied. Nothing has been done to the vehicle aside from oil and filter replacement since.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Just Brakes. I'm thinking about going in there and telling them that I will not pay for any work I do not authorize and just getting the basic service that they have been advertising. Should I give it a try or just take it to the dealer?
I wouldn't go to any chain tire or brake service store. They get their mechanics out of a cracker jack box.

take it too a local mechanic that you trust and get it done right. make sure you know what you need to replace then get it replaced at a shop. I would also look at your rubber lines to make sure they aren't already deteriorating. if so get new ones. I wouldn't necisarrily go to the dealer for this. go aftermarket. Also whoever does the brakes have them flush the system entirely and put in all new brake fluid.

if your car is worth it ge the trans replaced. I think for a chevy it might be cheaper than rebuilding. Depending if you can buy the trans new from the dealer like you can a long block v8. I would not personally recommend doing a full brake job unless you know what you are doing. Sure replacing wheel cylinders, rotors, shoes drums is easy and getting them adjusted but bleeding the brakes for a beginner can be fustraiting and a time consumer.

good luck. assess the worth of your vehicle and if its worth it dive in. Its going to be expensive but it will have a whole new lease on life.

good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I always do my brakes myself. They charge astronomical prices to cover the liability insurance. The probelm is that if you do not do it yourself, how will you know the truth when they say the rotors are warped, or the calipers need rebuilding or replacement?
easy ask them to show you. If they are telling the trueth you'll see it, if not you'll see they are lying or stretching it too milk the $$$$ out of you. simple as that

been there before ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive