U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,045,268 times

Advertisements

Does this car have a timing belt? If so, when does it need to be replaced? 60k? 100k? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM

19,646 posts, read 51,198,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Does this car have a timing belt? If so, when does it need to be replaced? 60k? 100k? Thanks in advance.
Yes, it has a belt. Our 2001 GLS V6 does, so Im assuming the 4 banger does as well. Id change it around 75K or so. And unless you have the tools, mechanical know-how and the better part of a day to change it, I suggest taking it to Hyundai and have them change it.

All the info regarding t-belt replacement recommendations should be in your owners manual.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Timing Belt Information

This covers up to 2004, says the 4-bangers are all with belts and all are interferance engines, ie, Mr. Valve and Mr. Piston will not play together nicely if said belt breaks.

Manufacturer recommends 60K, I know for the BMW small 6 of the late 80's, the recommendation was 60K but here in the high desert we saw a few fail at 50K.

I would caution against trying to get away with not changing this. It's way cheaper to change it than to do the repair if it breaks. It's not exactly miles that wear out the belt - it's heat, how often you start/stop the engine, etc. After 40 or 50K my BMW belt looked near new. So what. When I got things torn down enough to see it clearly, I was happy enough to change it (belt itself is only about $15). At a shop this is about a $300-500 job. It's a good bit of work and beyond many shade-tree mechanic's ability. My point is if you do a lot of city miles don't stretch it out to the full 60K.

Around Raleigh you should be able to find a good independent shop, usually the best bet for this work. You probably should include new coolant and the big radiator hoses as well, no added labor for these, just parts.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 09-30-2008 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: expand and clarify remarks

Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Interesting question, nynraleigh . . . have you consulted your local Hyundai Dealer or, even better, the Owners Manual?

Concerning the serious nature as well as the possible expensive ramifications, third party expert opinion could be dangerous.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM

I recall the salesperson when I purchased the car new that there was a timing chain, not belt, which did not have to be replaced. The dealer is telling me that it's a belt...I have researched online and finding that it's a timing chain as well, so I am confused, is the dealer just looking to make big money on a item that doesn't exist? My car is nearing 60k, and thought I would ask if anyone with a 2006/2007 Sonata with the same mileage had to replace their timing (belt??) or chain ??? I do not want to be ripped off. Thanks everyone. I also do not see anything in the owners/maint. manual. The car has had all it's recommended services/oil changes, etc... knock wood, no problems with the car to date...just want to be sure this is for real.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Does your owner's manual really not have this information?

If not, try going into a good independent car parts store, or NAPA, (frequently the big chains don't have very knowledgable help) and find one of the more senior guys behind the counter, ask them if it has a belt and what it costs. A good independent car repair shop should give you the same info.

In case you didn't know it, the sales people in the vast majority of dealerships know diddly about cars, and strive to tell you whatever they think you want to hear.

If you purchased the car from the same dealer who is now saying it has a belt, I would go elsewhere for service just on principle.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 AM

36,595 posts, read 57,867,463 times
The 2006 Sonata I4 has a chain, not a belt. Any dealer trying to tell you that you need your nonexistent timing belt changed as part of a regular service interval is either fraudulent or incompetent, and IMO both are grounds for never doing business with them again. A timing chain is not considered a "wear item" that needs to be changed at regular intervals. Accordingly, it would be covered under warranty if it were to fail while the powertrain warranty is still in effect.

That said, timing chains do fail on occasion since it is a highly stressed part. But it is designed to last for the usable life of the car and it will do so far more often than not. Usually you'll hear something amiss before it fails, but not always. If it is ever convenient to change the chain because the engine is being torn down for some other reason (say, replace the head gasket), then go ahead and replace the chain while you're at it since most of the labor cost would already be paid for. But it's not something you need to sweat every XX,000 miles.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks to all, its been awhile since I posted…I went back and forth with this dealer here in NC {no names mentioned}, finally today I receive an apologetic call from their service manager stating that they made an error, I understand mistakes are made, but come on…they were going to charge me $500.00 + to change a belt I don’t even have on this vehicle. I will never go back to this dealer again. I appreciate the honesty of the dealership {both sales and service}back in NY where I purchased the vehicle.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM

7,001 posts, read 14,577,787 times
In 2006, I almost bought a brand new 2006 Sonata GL with the 4-cylinder. I think the dealer said the recommended change was 60K on these, but I could be wrong.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,691,469 times
60K for a timing belt change? There's another hidden cost of the "affordable" Hyundai. Changing the timing belt every 60K can get costly. At least with Hondas, they only need timing belt changes every 105k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive