U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM

48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a pretty safe and careful driver but I made a major oopsie yesterday but got away with it.

Merging onto the interstate at about 60mph, had a guy kinda going fast\crowding up on me in the slow lane (he was going to exit in a mile or so...total weenie). So, I noticed the middle lane open and gave it some gas.

My mistake? I'd spaced out and was still in 2nd gear and not 4th (6 speed manual) and had toggled off my traction control likely by accident earlier.
So basically, the car surges (it has 505 horse power stock) and I "wagged" the rear end a fair bit before getting it under control.

No damage but scared the crap out of me (and likely some of the other drivers too). Anyway, I've had the car 2 months and this is the first time it's gotten away from me, just a wake-up call to remain cautious.

I now return to my corner to put my dunce cap back on.

Care to share any of your own stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
Heck, thats not bad at all, especially with the hp levels youre pushing.

My biggest oops was in my old Mercury Capri, a car with notoriously bad lift-throttle oversteer. Anyways, during some spirited driving on a super twisty country road, I dove into a 90 degree left hand corner. Well, I dont know if there was loose gravel or something, but the car erupted into massive understeer. At this point you would normally lift off the gas real quick, correct the steering, then get back on the throttle real fast. My mistake was forgetting about the lift-throttle oversteer plague. Well, I lifted off the throttle and BAM! the back end swung out to the right about 90 degrees. I corrected as fast as I could and it whipped back almost 90 degrees to the right and put me square into a mailbox. I had the top down and remembered the mailbox soaring right over my head. At this point I was still probably doing 40 mph or so. After I destroyed Mr. Mailbox I proceeded to smack the front right corner of my front bumper on a big ol' oak tree which then ricocheted me into another big ol oak where I hit it square on the back driver's side wheel/fender. Sometime during this whole escapade my airbag went off and knocked me out for a few seconds. I awoke to my friend coming around to open my door for me. I remember the acrid smell of smoke from the airbag and my bloodied lip like it was yesterday (this crash occurred 13 years ago). The car's frame was so badly bent that my top wouldnt even go up. Of course it started to rain when the cops showed up so the interior was beyond damaged.

Oops! lol

Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,809,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I'm a pretty safe and careful driver but I made a major oopsie yesterday but got away with it.

Merging onto the interstate at about 60mph, had a guy kinda going fast\crowding up on me in the slow lane (he was going to exit in a mile or so...total weenie). So, I noticed the middle lane open and gave it some gas.

My mistake? I'd spaced out and was still in 2nd gear and not 4th (6 speed manual) and had toggled off my traction control likely by accident earlier.
So basically, the car surges (it has 505 horse power stock) and I "wagged" the rear end a fair bit before getting it under control.

No damage but scared the crap out of me (and likely some of the other drivers too). Anyway, I've had the car 2 months and this is the first time it's gotten away from me, just a wake-up call to remain cautious.

I now return to my corner to put my dunce cap back on.

Care to share any of your own stories?
Whew..I was almost afraid to open the thread! Thought you had crunched her!
That wiggle is the reason I sold mine! Traction control seems non-existent in those cars!
Drive safe!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM

31,990 posts, read 17,271,482 times
Back in the late 70's I lived in southeast Los Angeles area. I was a teenager and had just bought a 65 Ford Mustang.

The first time I drove my 65 mustang on to the freeway on ramp, I looked down at the speedometer and I was doing 90 in 3rd gear. I just wasn't used to having a car with that much power and acceleration. Wow.

Thankfully, there wasn't any cars around... or maybe they saw me and backed off.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Whew..I was almost afraid to open the thread! Thought you had crunched her!
That wiggle is the reason I sold mine! Traction control seems non-existent in those cars!
Drive safe!
Thanks. Yeah, it's been a rough year for me so maybe karma took pity on me. I bought the car on looks, not to be a maniac with it so this generally is a non-issue as long as I don't have a brain cramp. Combination of having the trac control off, being in 2nd AND changing lanes.

They had a big ZR-1 roll-out party at a local dealership the other night, met a guy there that had just wrecked his Z06. Driving in light rain, hit a sqaull line at about 65 and there was a couple inches of water on the road. Totaled it from my understanding.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,034,108 times
Spun out in an 86 Maxima(which has the 300ZX engine) driving on a blind interchange. I was doing around 60-70 coming into the long curve into the interchange and the blind spot went by and saw dead stopped traffic ahead. Hit the breaks(no anti-lock or traction on these geezers), the car pulled to the left, tried to push it back to the right and lost traction and did a 180 sliding onto the rocky shoulder. I was about 3 feet from hitting the car infront of me and the people behind me(who I was now looking at) were looking at me like I just did the most heinous thing they ever saw. I did a uturn onto the road and ever so slowly in traffic made it to the next exit and got away from that embarassing situation

Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM

973 posts, read 1,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Be careful in the Z06. If you bought it for the look, why not just get the "standard" 400HP model? Even 400 is more than enough to get you into trouble..

Honestly, the best thing you can do when you buy your first high HP car is to take a class on high HP RWD cars. They'll teach you how to handle all that power when you might begin to lose control. Many tracks have professional drivers that offer these sorts of classes, and usually they provide the cars to beat on as well. The cost of the class ($250-$2000+) is easily worth it.

Another thing you can do is get a feel for your car's power on your own. Go to a large empty lot and fool around. Get used to fishtailing and bringing the car under control.

All the natural reflexes you can train by classes and on your own could save you from a major accident in the future.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Be careful in the Z06. If you bought it for the look, why not just get the "standard" 400HP model? Even 400 is more than enough to get you into trouble..

Honestly, the best thing you can do when you buy your first high HP car is to take a class on high HP RWD cars. They'll teach you how to handle all that power when you might begin to lose control. Many tracks have professional drivers that offer these sorts of classes, and usually they provide the cars to beat on as well. The cost of the class ($250-$2000+) is easily worth it.

Another thing you can do is get a feel for your car's power on your own. Go to a large empty lot and fool around. Get used to fishtailing and bringing the car under control.

All the natural reflexes you can train by classes and on your own could save you from a major accident in the future.
The standard vettes just don't look like the Z06, not even close to me.
Additionally, the Z06's are unique and I got mine new for 61k plus tax so pretty easy decision.

I have played with it a little bit where I've had plenty of room and that's probably what saved me this time. It's hard to "play" with a Z06 much because they don't make parking lots that big.

I am going to look into driving school, good point.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
Unfortunately, the Z06 is known for being twitchy, especially the 2007 MY. More than one car mag has noted that they were a lot more comfortable driving the standard C6 versus the Z06. I honestly don't mean this as a "told you so" moment but that factored into my recommendation of a standard C6 over a Z06 when you were inquiring about buying a 'Vette a couple months ago.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Unfortunately, the Z06 is known for being twitchy, especially the 2007 MY. More than one car mag has noted that they were a lot more comfortable driving the standard C6 versus the Z06. I honestly don't mean this as a "told you so" moment but that factored into my recommendation of a standard C6 over a Z06 when you were inquiring about buying a 'Vette a couple months ago.
Yeah, I weighed that against the fact that standard C6's look like next to a Z06. One foible in 2 months, scared me but wasn't an accident. I read about that and digested the comments, frankly still feel I made the right decision. Considering that for the last 10+ years I've been driving cars like Toyota Corollas so there is just going to be a training period for me and the problem this time was me and not the car anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive