U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM

12,140 posts, read 21,973,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
Sometimes I wish I grew up way back when, when you could take a roadtrip with your friends just for the hell of it and spend more money on food than gas because it was so cheap.
It was a blast! Used to drive, just to drive. Sometimes if I had a 4 day weekend, I would drive "out" for 2 days just to see where I would end up, then head back. Burning 60 gallons of gas a weekend just out in the woods Jeep driving 4X4 trails, blasting through sand dunes, and rock climbing just because it was cheap entertainment. (Still will drive with the family now to go see something for no real reason though.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 26,865,379 times
The only reason anybody needs to buy an SUV is if they do off-road work. Period. Of all our friends, I know precisely three people who actually need them. One is in construction, one is in forestry, and one is a nature photographer. For the rest of them, it's nothing more than a glorified Country Squire station wagon, except with considerably less fuel economy.

I'm always amazed to watch people pump gallon after gallon into an SUV the size of Iowa while they have 1 or 2 toddlers bouncing around.

Basically, in my humble opinion, if you buy an SUV without an express need for one, you're telling the Arabs, "Hey, keep sticking it to my country. I fully accept that you have us over a barrel, literally and figuratively."

Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 24,253,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The only reason anybody needs to buy an SUV is if they do off-road work. Period. Of all our friends, I know precisely three people who actually need them. One is in construction, one is in forestry, and one is a nature photographer. For the rest of them, it's nothing more than a glorified Country Squire station wagon, except with considerably less fuel economy.
Let's see: I have a boat that our family uses for recreation - GVWR around 5K pounds. Got a car for me?

We also have a Travel Trailer - GVWR around 8200 pounds - again - let me know the car that will tow it -

Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM

7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Growing up, we had a Country Squire with a 460 that got 8 mpg in the city and 10 mpg highway. Suburbans are pretty comparable in size, but taller... and I'm pretty sure they get better mileage than that. Not much though.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Growing up, we had a Country Squire with a 460 that got 8 mpg in the city and 10 mpg highway. Suburbans are pretty comparable in size, but taller... and I'm pretty sure they get better mileage than that. Not much though.
I get double that with my newer one.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM

25,080 posts, read 26,865,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's see: I have a boat that our family uses for recreation - GVWR around 5K pounds. Got a car for me?

We also have a Travel Trailer - GVWR around 8200 pounds - again - let me know the car that will tow it -
Why, a nice pick-up truck. But, more to your point, the large majority of SUV owners are using them to tow boats around. They're using them to toodle down to the Starbucks or ferry kids back and forth to soccer practice. Which leads me to ask, how on earth did we get along without these monster SUVs, which began being introduced in the 1990s?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,253,528 times
Quote:
Why, a nice pick-up truck. But, more to your point, the large majority of SUV owners are using them to tow boats around. They're using them to toodle down to the Starbucks or ferry kids back and forth to soccer practice. Which leads me to ask, how on earth did we get along without these monster SUVs, which began being introduced in the 1990s?
Are you aware that many SUV's actually get better gas mileage than do pickups? And your question "how we got along" is a good one - and the answer is, lifestyles changed.

When you stop to think about it - what we now call "SUV's" have actually been around for many years - Jeep has had one (Grand Cherokee), Ford (Bronco), Chevrolet (Suburban) and so on.

Then, we had the MASSIVE station wagons, manufactured by all domestic auto makers - and they were the "family" car - going to the beach, on vacations, hauling the kids around - you don't see to many station wagons these days do you? Wonder why? Hmmm - they were REPLACED by the more refined vehicles we now call "SUV's".

Of course the initials "SUV" has taken on a rather ominous sound to many so now we have "CROSS OVERS" - which are? SUV's with a different shade of lipstick.

Face it - many SUV's get pretty good gas mileage. And, they suit the lifestyles of their owners.

And, that is what FREEDOM is all about - isn't it?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:01 PM

142 posts, read 386,284 times
Greatday....all your points are on point!

Quote:
Why, a nice pick-up truck.
And where is he suppose to put the rest of the family? Sure, a nice pick up truck would be nice and would do the job....IF he were single and didn't have children. What is he suppose to do...get a pick up with an extended cab? They're a joke and I'm sorry but while you can haul things w/ a pick up you still need room to put your family of 4 or 5 or 6, or however many.

I disagree w/ your statement in that the only reason why people should buy SUVs are for off-road work. That's not true. Period. Like Greatday said, people may have things that they tow PLUS room for their family to sit, and unless you're paying my gas bill why should people be so bothersome about what people are driving. Alot of SUVs all aren't so bad on gas as what everyone thinks. I drive an H3....and yes we have a boat (that we will start to tow next year), and I have kids into sports and a DH in construction and we have a welding business. What CAR could I have gotten that can tow a boat, fit my family in comfortably PLUS all their sport gear AND to fit the big and bulky work he's done welding that I need to deliver to his customers when he's done???!!! My truck is only a 5 cylinder, so I'm not paying as much as you think I am in gas. I have a car too, that we kept. So sometimes I'll drive the car, and other times when I need to, I'll drive my truck. Oh, and my truck is only getting 2-3 mpg LESS than my car. DH has a truck, as I said, he's in construction, and his truck is a diesel.

Speaking of which....let me go as I need to get into my "nothing more than a glorified Country Squire station wagon", as I need to deliver all his work he welded by the deadline. You bet your bottom dollar I need this truck. As for me, personally, I sure wasn't going to get no gas-guzzling 8 cylinder, that's for sure. If the next person drives a 10-cylinder for all I care, why should I be all up in their business as to what they're driving and why they're driving it??!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Actually the "SUV" has been around for many, many years. The Suburban from Chevy and GMC started carrying that name plate in the mid 1930's and was a passenger vehicle based on their commercial delivery trucks at that time. Then as now they shared many of the same front-end sheet metal and running gear of the truck line. Chevrolet Suburban and Chevrolet Suburban history, 4X4 review - CarSeek.com.

Jeep (Willys/Kaiser/AMC/etc...) started their line of "SUV's" back in 1946 with the introduction of their "Willys Station Wagon" and have been around ever sense.Jeep - The Jeep Community - Jeep Legacy - SUV, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off-road 4x4s

So in essence, "what did people do before SUV's?" can be answered with: hitch up another horse for more pulling power. They have been around almost as long the automobile has been, just under a different "name". Utility Vehicle, or Carryall. If you wanted to get right down to the brass tacks of the argument, there has been vehicles that were larger then average and made for hauling heavy loads and/or larger numbers of people sense they started putting motors on converted horse wagons, So the "SUV" has been around much longer than most vehicle types out there. Some of us still need the extra room and capacity that they offer. I remember riding around in my Fathers early 50's Suburban-Carryall when I was a kid in the early 70's. They only thing that has been around sense the 90's is the designation "SUV".

Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 PM

12,857 posts, read 8,243,670 times
All of you with cheap gas are lucky. It's still $3.77 a gal. here with shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive