U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM

1,766 posts, read 5,452,670 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to ShelbyGirl's post about getting called by DMV about cars she no longer owns. If I no longer own a car, I'm certainly not going to talk to the state about it. Let them do their own work in collecting taxes from the new owner. I'm not going to help them. I don't care what the seller claimed to have paid for it. The only money I ever owe to the state on a car is when registering it. Once it's no longer mine, and as long as I owe not unpaid debt to the state, they can deal with it. Two kinds of problems in the world - "theirs" and mine. Collecting taxes on a car I don't own sounds like one of "theirs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 23,583 times
Hey everyone, sorry to raise an old thread but better than making a new one right?

Anyways, I am trying to buy a '98 car that costs about $5k. I am determined to get it. My bank won't give a loan on anything older than '99, and I haven't been able to find anywhere that will loan less than $7.5k . So, my only other option seems to be officially sell my almost-paid-off car to my girlfriend, and use the money from her loan to buy this other car.

The problem is, it seems like I will be paying tax on two cars if I do this. We live together, I already paid the tax on my car when I bought it, it's BS that I have to pay tax on it again. I doubt there is any way to work it out but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:56 PM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
No one, not even big Rick, is going to get the best of the DMV.
Oh, I don't know, it does happen...
Fer instance, how about a car that CA DMV wouldn't allow to be licensed, wouldn't allow to have a temporary move permit, wouldn't issue a title for, just made life miserable for the owner?
That car is now sitting in Montana, with a Montana Title, (permanent) Montana registration and license plates, no problem.
In joint ownership with a Montana resident and a California resident, at the Montanan's address.
If the CA resident wants to take it back to CA, he can now get it licensed and titled without much hassle (or at least, nothing compared to what CA DMV previously wanted him to go through!)
Or the truck that CA DMV made dire threats about if the owner didn't renew the registration or pay the non-op fee on. The trouble was, the truck had been transferred to another state long before, so CA DMV was simply ignored.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Oregon is the answer.....

Old 07-10-2009, 04:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Actually Sports Car Market magazine had an article in "Legal Files" about how you can title, tag, and use a vehicle in Oregon immediately after buying it, then after some specific amount of time, the owner can move the car to a CA address, without paying sales tax.

Don't try to do this based on my post, get SCM and read the article.

Egg and I were posting back and forth about this.

Probably Montana works just as well.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,331,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
k ive never bought a car in CA but i might be getting a new used RSX-S
i heard in CA u have to pay tax, and to avoid that, u can ask the seller to give it to u as a gift but still paying him.
Does this work or what?
Please let me know
thanks
There is a stellar patriotic attitude!

Suck it up dude, pay your fair share!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually Sports Car Market magazine had an article in "Legal Files" about how you can title, tag, and use a vehicle in Oregon immediately after buying it, then after some specific amount of time, the owner can move the car to a CA address, without paying sales tax.

Don't try to do this based on my post, get SCM and read the article.

Egg and I were posting back and forth about this.

Probably Montana works just as well.
Don't think it will work, they will hit you a heft use tax when you register the car, believe many have tried this before.

DMV Search Results: sales tax

As a side note the CHP is asking folks to report cars that have been in state over 30 days with out of state plate and not getting them registered.

Case in point: Porsche in Laguna with Oregon pulls into a gas station on a regular basis, CHP sitting in restaurant notices and tickets the guy. Guy was a local property owner and was employed. Big fine on top of use tax.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 32,714 times
Default So how did this work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I bought a 1987 Porsche 911 in VA for less than book value and DMV tried to charge me sales tax based on book value. I told them I was not paying tax on a sales price I didn't pay. But I didn't have a bill of sale. The nice lady quietly told me to leave the bldg., take this DMV bill of sale and have someone else sign it and fill it out, then come back to her window and I wouldn't have to wait. I figured, if the state wasn't gonna believe me, I might as well lie. So I gave myself a big discount for the car and had a friend sign it. I later called the seller and told him and he was cool with it.
Have you had any repercussions from this? Has the DMV contacted you about this matter again? Do you know if they contacted the seller to validate the sales price?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Some yrs back in Calif a son sold his car and put down a LOW price for the buyer to save on tax.

Some months later son received a letter from the Calif DMV wanting to know what price he sold the car for...trouble was that he did not remember the amount that was put on the bill of sale. He guessed a figure and never heard back on the letter.

So if anything write down the price and keep it in a drawer for reference if needed.

Steve

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,874,004 times
If the state you bought the car in charges sales (use) taxes at the same, or higher rate than California, then you can get away with it.

If the state charges less, you pay the difference.

The Oregon trick was to get a new car into California which had Federal Emissions equipment on it, not get around taxes. I think Oregon require new vehicles to meet California Emissions requirements, or they will in the near future, so the issue is pretty much dead anyway.

I could be wrong on this, but I think how it works is the DMV usually sets the value at the minimum for that model/year. For example, if you state you bought the car for $100 they have a schedule for the value for that vehicle and you pay use tax on that value. There are some exceptions. I don't know what they are. I think a salvaged vehicle is one of the exceptions.

I've also had people tell me they stated a value far less than the vehicle was worth and the DMV charged them use tax on that amount, so all this may be up to which way the wind blows at your local DMV that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive