U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,193 posts, read 38,194,793 times

Advertisements

Best way to avoid paying tax for car in CA?

Have your car live next door at 'Boarding School' in Oregon, and don't get caught....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 923 times
Generally...if the price the seller reports via the "release of liability" form agrees with the price that the seller reports on the title....you're probably OK. A little history: Years ago (back in the 60's) I was watching a local talk show on TV. The topic was the tax on private sales of cars in CA. The hosts (Stan Bohrman and Maria Cole-wife of Nat King Cole) decided to call the state rep that sponsored the bill. They called him (on the air) and a CAR DEALERSHIP answered!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM

6,603 posts, read 18,191,759 times
Many decades ago a friend would buy a car...do some repairs/ paint whatever and flip it. Turned out he was the 8th person w/o re registering the vehicle. DMV went to the original owner on title and followed the trail to my friend. Just a true tale as I also did some turnovers then but was more careful by Legally paying the tax and title in my name while doing any repairs etc. Can be done using caution.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,099,297 times
Some states only allow the gift of a car to another person is they are related as parents or siblings and they have to prove it. If not the state will charge the tax on the bluebook value of the vehicle. (At least that was the law years ago in MI, it might have changed, not sure.) As for CA, you live there, pay the taxes; someone needs to keep Moonbeam happy.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 AM

56 posts, read 23,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Move to another state like OR that does not have state tax Wink Wink.
then they will want you to pay to put it on a flatbed and they will want to see a BOL. that's out of the question if the op don't live in CA

Old 03-28-2018, 11:52 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,504,294 times
Ok, wanted to revive this one. I'm shopping for a bike and it's likely going to be from a dealer in CA. They have to charge 9.3% sales tax unless I have it commercially shipped to AZ (where I will register it) .... which would cost about the same as the difference between sales taxes here and there. If I pay sales tax to CA and it's more than I would owe in AZ, does either state credit me back the difference?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM

9,333 posts, read 25,982,257 times
Good question, Rick . . .

No expert here but a few years ago I purchased a New, Never Titled Vehicle from a Chevrolet Dealer in Illinois.

Since I preferred to pay Arizona Tax, not Illinois, the Sales Manager attached an "In Transit Temporary License" to the vehicle and I drove home with only the vehicle's "Birth Certificate" and the Sales Contract.

Once I arrived home, the Arizona MVD Representative processed the paperwork and charged the routine fees but only the Arizona State Sales Tax which was considerably less . . . roughly half of the amount I anticipated.

To my knowledge the Vehicle Tax Laws have not changed since then.

Good Luck.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM

1,769 posts, read 5,504,294 times
Problem there is that dealers in CA won't let you drive off the lot without paying CA sales tax. You can have a commercial shipper take it for you, but that ain't free either. I have spoken to a few dealers who said they'd look the other way and let me ride off, as long as I had an AZ plate or trip permit. But the dealer where I want to buy now doesn't sound like he'll budge. And so I need to find out if AZ or CA refund the difference between the sales taxes in both states. I don't want to pay more than I have to, especially to a state where I don't live.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM

21,358 posts, read 26,636,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Move to another state like OR that does not have state tax Wink Wink.
If you plan to move to Oregon wink wink, be aware that Oregon does not issue driver's licence or car registration without proof of residence. They will not accept wink wink.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 PM

9,333 posts, read 25,982,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Problem there is that dealers in CA won't let you drive off the lot without paying CA sales tax. You can have a commercial shipper take it for you, but that ain't free either. I have spoken to a few dealers who said they'd look the other way and let me ride off, as long as I had an AZ plate or trip permit. But the dealer where I want to buy now doesn't sound like he'll budge. And so I need to find out if AZ or CA refund the difference between the sales taxes in both states. I don't want to pay more than I have to, especially to a state where I don't live.
I am certain the Chevy Dealer in Illinois was not performing an Illegal Act so maybe a call to the California DMV would help. There just may be a provision on file this dealer is not aware of.

You cannot be the first, nor the last person from another state attempting to purchase a vehicle.

By the way . . . have you considered a trailer and hauling the bike back to Arizona with only the minimum paperwork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive