U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM

2,922 posts, read 1,061,610 times

Advertisements

Basicallly, just plate and title the car in a plausible state where you can defensibly claim legal residence. Ideally, in the name of a trusted family member, in a state that has no annual safety or emission inspection. So you don't have to go back every year for a sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:04 AM

835 posts, read 448,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Basicallly, just plate and title the car in a plausible state where you can defensibly claim legal residence. Ideally, in the name of a trusted family member, in a state that has no annual safety or emission inspection. So you don't have to go back every year for a sticker.
This is not true. If you are the owner of the car, you need to register it in your name at your residence. You cannot use a family member's residence if it is not your own.

Old Today, 12:33 AM

8,853 posts, read 10,786,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazie View Post
Need help and advice on this situation;

I want to buy a used car from a dealer in CA. Because I am willing to pay cash for it, the dealer said he can give me the title and I can register the car in AZ myself. He cannot let me drive it off the lot, but I will need to have it ship it to AZ because once I drive it off the lot, he has to charge me sales tax (I'm fine with this). He cannot give me a bile of sale as "private sale" but has to be from the dealer.

With the title in hand under the previous owner's name, not the dealer, and the bill of sale from the dealer, will I be able to get away from paying AZ sales tax once I title it in AZ?

Thanks for anyones' help.
If you drive it off the CA dealer's lot, you pay CA sales tax.
If you pay to have it shipped to a dealer in AZ, you pay no CA sales tax just AZ tax.

If you paid CA sales tax and register it in AZ, the reciprocity agreement is AZ will calculate the taxes and if you paid CA the same as you would pay in AZ, it's a wash.
If you paid less in CA than what AZ charges (fantasy), you pay the difference.
If you paid more in CA (reality) than you would pay in AZ, you're out of luck as no refunds from either state.

Do the math and you have your answer if drive off or ship off is better.

Don't forget emissions if in an AZ county with emissions. I think if the CA emissions test is in hand, AZ may accept that in lieu of a local test but you have to send it to DEQ for a release and entering into the computer system MVD uses to verify you have a passing emissions test done before yo can register the vehicle.

Old Today, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is not true. If you are the owner of the car, you need to register it in your name at your residence. You cannot use a family member's residence if it is not your own.
The owner of "your" car is by definition not "you", but the name on the title.

While the legality may be questioned under tax and insurance considerations, any entity may own an automobile, and may authorize any person to use it. Certain regulations may be based on where the vehicle is principally garaged, which is what we may need to get around..

When I was under 21, I could not legally own a car, so I drove daily in State A in a car owned and plated by my father in State B. What is to be done?

Last edited by cebuan; Today at 02:34 AM..

Old Today, 04:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,193 posts, read 38,194,793 times
MT (sales tax free) has an entire industry for this purpose. (Registration of Boats / Planes / RV / costly vehicles.

~$700 will set you up a MT LLC to own and register your vehicle, BUT, your OWN state rules will apply / supersede.

Follow the rules, be legal. or.... do time and fines.

IMPORTANT... your insurance needs to be correct to where car LIVES (is garaged).

Old Today, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MT (sales tax free) has an entire industry for this purpose. (Registration of Boats / Planes / RV / costly vehicles.

~$700 will set you up a MT LLC to own and register your vehicle, BUT, your OWN state rules will apply / supersede.

Follow the rules, be legal. or.... do time and fines.

IMPORTANT... your insurance needs to be correct to where car LIVES (is garaged).
That's true, but the state has the burden of proof if it disputes your declaration of where it lives. I got away with it for decades. Nobody ever asked, just kept renewing.

Unless you can plate in one of the 4 tax free states (DE OR MT NH), you're going to pay 5-12% sales tax anyway. And in many states, an annual personal property tax as well.

Last edited by cebuan; Today at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive