Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times

Advertisements

Was delivering a load to Louisville, KY this morning. The I-71/I-264 junction is quite dangerous with sharp curves, short ramps and a rock formation in the center so that visibility at the merge points is very limited. Merging onto I-264 Westbound from I-71 South is a left-hand on-ramp. I came down the ramp, saw what looked like enough space to go all the way to the right lane. I even saw what I thought was a vehicle flash his lights to let me in. So I came all the way over. (Not sure if it was a car or pickup that flashed me over) After I was comfortably in the right lane of I-264, the driver of a Ford Ranger pulled alongside me and gave me a one-fingered salute that lasted more than several seconds.

The lessons here are:

Visibility from a large truck is difficult, especially down the right side

Don't clear another vehicle to pull back in front of you unless you are sure someone else won't misinterpret your signal or not realize that you've cleared a truck over.

In merges where there is limited visibility, try to occupy the lane that will make merges safer for everyone.

Thank you!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-08-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Crew Chief, you probably already know this but . . .

LOTS of Idiots and A-Holes out there disguised as normal, intelligent individuals.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

LOTS of Idiots and A-Holes out there disguised as normal, intelligent individuals.
How right you are! I've often wondered how Lexus, Bimmer and Mercedes drivers master the corporate world but can't seem to understand basic driving concepts...

Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
Talking inDUHviduals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

That is why they call us --- inDUHviduals

indDUHvidual

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Well I would say that trucks just seem to start over room or no room and then clogg the fast lane forever before going around traffic. They even ignore truaks stay to the right lane warning signs on bridges and cloog the left lane at very reduced speed. Then they love to tailgate. Truckers have lost all respect on the highways IMO.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well I would say that trucks just seem to start over, room or no room and then clog the fast lane forever before going around traffic. They even ignore "trucks stay to the right lane" warning signs on bridges and clog the left lane at very reduced speed. Then they love to tailgate. Truckers have lost all respect on the highways IMO.
Understand your frustrations, Texdav. And I know there's always the rare idiot in the truck (see other thread in Automotive forum...) But sometimes it's nice to be met halfway. Stopping (and restrating) a big truck at the end of a merge ramp is a difficult (and dangerous...) thing to do. I agree with moving out to pass and "camping out" in the left lane. What many of us who take our driving seruiously do is back off a lttle so that the truck in the left lane can get back over and not hold up traffic behind. There are times when a hill throws a monkey wrench into your passing manuever. And I've even had other vehicles speed up as soon as I try to pas them...

FWIW; Truck lane retrictions are unfair and unsafe. Enforcing "slower traffic keep right" rules would make more sense...

Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
I am an ex-truckdriver and I know how to flash to pull over properly but on the car I drive now the signal light/high-low beam lever, tends to flash the headlights when you use the signal lever to turn.

This has happened to me several times and it makes it look like I flashed vehicle ahead of me to come back over but all I was doing was signaling for myself to come back to next lane.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
How right you are! I've often wondered how Lexus, Bimmer and Mercedes drivers master the corporate world but can't seem to understand basic driving concepts...
LOL, Crew Chief . . . it's called FIRST PERSONAL SINGULAR.

More often than not, most drivers are either eating, drinking or talking on their cell phones in lieu of paying attention.

Besides, those Premium Vehicles are usually "nothing down" leased.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,183 times
Well he could not have been that smart he was dirving a Ford after all. I used to pull a 40' foot reefer all over northern MN and I will say that the drivers up there are very considerate most of the time. The further south you head the worse it gets.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM

248 posts, read 798,299 times
sorry you got the bird. that sucks. especially since you thought you were being told "all clear".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive