Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 AM

139 posts, read 1,022,576 times

Advertisements

also to add,the air filter and fuel filter,can make a big differance in the way a vehicle runs,if they have not been changed recently. or are in need of changing.another thing that will make them run bad is vacume lines.they are little black tubes of different lengths that run under the hood.to different components. they are made of plastic or rubber,and will comeoff ,crack,or simply break with the under hood heat and age. the check engine light is the systems way of letting you know there is a problem. when a problem is found by the system it sets an error code,triggering the check engine light. then the vehicle is hooked up to a scanner to retrieve the code. for instance the gas cap,might have been a code po440 witch is a small leak in the evap system,most times it is the gas cap that is the problem.you could have it scanned again,for stored trouble codes,just to be sure. most auto parts stores will do this for free,dont let them sell you parts just get the codes ,if any and post back here if any are found. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
just a little input about the airfilter, splurge a little get the K&N filter for your truck.. its a little more expensive but it adds horsepower, on my car it gave me an extra three miles to the gallon on gas mileage and its rated to be changed once every 1,000,000miles, unless you frequent dusty dirty roads you'll never have to change it a again as long as you own the truck, eventually it pays for itself.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,395,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualtiere View Post
just a little input about the airfilter, splurge a little get the K&N filter for your truck.. its a little more expensive but it adds horsepower, on my car it gave me an extra three miles to the gallon on gas mileage and its rated to be changed once every 1,000,000miles, unless you frequent dusty dirty roads you'll never have to change it a again as long as you own the truck, eventually it pays for itself.
Sorry K&N filters are nothing but snake oil, expensive ones at that. I had one and it did nothing. No added mpg, no horsepower addition, no nothing. Go with the oem filters.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Oil and air filter need regular changing. Otherwise I generally do not replace anything until it shows that it needs replacing. Many of these modern platnium spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles or so. you never know about wires. Some last teh life of the car, some last 20,000 miles. Belts are the same way. You probably have a serpentine belt. Have it checked when you change the oil and replace it when it shows signs of wear.

We replace the tires when they burst, or when you can see the steel belts.

If your car has lube points, it is very important to lube every time you change the oil. Many cars now have sealed tie rods etc. Therese are basically disposabl.e.

If you have an older Chrysler, you need to include changing the transmission every 50,000 - 70,000 miles. Not sure if the newer ones are like that.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,140,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sorry K&N filters are nothing but snake oil, expensive ones at that. I had one and it did nothing. No added mpg, no horsepower addition, no nothing. Go with the oem filters.
I bought a K&N filter for my 1991 Dynasty years ago thinking it would improve the gas mileage. It was a panel filter, and when I checked it about a week after I installed it the sides had sucked in so that it was the shape of an hourglass. Which pointed out 2 major flaws:

1. The construction was poor. The rubber edges should have been reinforced somehow to keep this from happening. OEM filters have this.

2. For the air moving through the filter box to warp it like this I have to assume the airflow through the filter was significantly inadequate.

I know some people who swear that they have had noticeable improvements in power and/or economy using the K&N filter, but personally I think I would stuff a dish rag in there before I'd use another K&N filter.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,151,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post

Spark plugs about once a year to 16 months
How many miles do you put on them in that time period??? Even cheap platinum plugs are easily good for 60k and beyond.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

564 posts, read 1,487,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Spark plugs about once a year to 16 months
Why would you change them so frequently?!! Most modern spark plugs are meant to last up to 100k miles. I changed them for the first time in my 97 Mercury only a year or so ago...glad I didn't change them 8 or 10 times in between that!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 PM

928 posts, read 2,705,253 times
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8 V6, currenty has 130K, owned since new.
Oil and Filter every 4K or so, I add BG MOA @ every oil change.
I change all the fluids every 30K.
I change the transmission filter every 60K.
I changed plugs and wires @ 90K, about $200-$250 I think. Rear plugs are hard to get to.
Rotate tires every oil change, balance yearly w/ alignment.
Air filter , OEM type as needed.
I am on the 3rd set of tires. Orginal plus 2 sets.
I always have the dealer so the service. I hunt down coupons and look and ask for discounts. They have always done a good job and all their work is warrantied at all other Chrysler dealers in the USA.
This van has been well serviced but does not live a easy life. Idles through 2 car pools lines daily. Power doors and hatch used every time, never failed. Video system for kids runs all the time. It has towed the kids dirtbikes all over to include NC,TN, AL, at highway speeds with out a problem. Outstanding vehicle. BTW, averages about 20mpg combined driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive