Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mercedes Benz Gl 550 13 34.21%
Range Rover HSE 5 13.16%
Cadillac Escalade 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,689,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
And I thought the price on the Escalade was high!
English automobiles all have a history of being over engineered and un-reliable with slightly above average performance... trust me, I worked at a Rolls-Royce restoration/repair shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

77 posts, read 352,867 times
I'm not a big BMW suv fan...plus no 3rd row (I think)

Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM

56 posts, read 196,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
the 570 and the LC are great SUV's. I have an 07 LX I bought as a leftover a few months ago and it's been amazing so far.
I have to agree, being a former Land Cruiser owner myself, these are the absolute best. I don't have the article on hand but somewhere there was an editorial showing a break down of cost of ownership between a new LX/LC and a Range Rover in terms of running expenses and depreciation. The Range Rover was costing twice that of the LX/LC. And if you're doing any off-roading, it's a very solid rig.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,994,881 times
For many years, next door to my repair shop was a window tint, pinstriper, and "gold plating" operation.

They had the local Range Rover dealership's business, and they dressed up a lot of new vehicles with "dealer installed" options.

There were many of those vehicles that had problems, even as new ... before ever delivered ... vehicles. I had a lot of calls from them to get central locking or windows to operate again after they'd put window tint film on ... and had a number of vehicles that wouldn't even start so they could deliver them back to the dealership.

Having worked on Brit cars and motorcycles since 1964 .... and restorations on just about every marque they built, I've been less than impressed with their build quality and durability. I'd take a MB G-wagen any day over a Range Rover off-road.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 PM

4,263 posts, read 8,136,737 times
^^^ Agree with the G-Wagon comment. I always say, if I won the lottery that would be the first car I would get.

Range Rovers and Land Rovers are horrible. They look cool, but they are nothing but problems. I was talking to a Car Salesman recently when I was looking at new cars, and he was telling me that Rovers have the absolute worst trade in value and resale value because of all the problems. If I was spending that amount of money on a new SUV, I would wanna make sure that it would run!

I also have a friend that returned her Land Rover under Lemon Law. It had so many problems, that the year she had it, it spent about 9 months of that in the shop

Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM

84 posts, read 316,820 times
I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport - 39,500 miles... Other than a minor sensor issue I have not had a single problem with it...

I think 2006 + Land Rovers are much better than in the past... That said I am almost out of warranty and looking at a Lexus LX 570 or Toyota Land Cruiser...

Old 11-01-2008, 03:41 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,568,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport - 39,500 miles... Other than a minor sensor issue I have not had a single problem with it...

I think 2006 + Land Rovers are much better than in the past... That said I am almost out of warranty and looking at a Lexus LX 570 or Toyota Land Cruiser...

Save your money and get the Land Cruiser.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM

77 posts, read 352,867 times
If I end up picking the Escalade I am going to check out the hybrid version. The thing is I do NOT want "hybrid" written along the side. Next thing you know I'll have crap written on the top of my windshield reminding me what I am driving!! haha Anyone know how hard it would be to remove it?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,135,104 times
I would go with the Cadillac Escalade (especially the LWB ESV model) or the Mercedes GL550.

Range Rovers are nice, but have a very low reliability rate, costly to maintain and notorious for engine fires!

Yes, I would also consider the Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 or....
http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/index.html
Prices range from $34K to about $60K.
http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/trims-...room&vehicle=2

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 11-05-2008 at 11:17 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,135,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post
If I end up picking the Escalade I am going to check out the hybrid version. The thing is I do NOT want "hybrid" written along the side. Next thing you know I'll have crap written on the top of my windshield reminding me what I am driving!! haha Anyone know how hard it would be to remove it?
Oh, I would not worry about that. You will be driving a nice SUV and helping the planet at the same time.. who knows, they may praise you.
I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart