Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 73,273 times

Advertisements

A friend was in a fender bender and both her airbags ejected. The car is actually still in drivable condition. Does anyone know where she would go to get the airbags reset or replaced?[mod cut] I'm sure going to a dealership will be very very expensive I imagine. Can the be replace with parts from a junk yard? Is it a law that you have to have airbags in a car? I'm sure she will get them replaced but for now if she can't she has to drive the car so she want to know if it's against the law if she doesn't have them. She appreciates any helpful advice she can get.
Thank you

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-28-2008 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: deleted at members request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,183 times
It is not illegal to drive with them deployed in most states. Just make sure that they are at least tucked back in place and taped shut so they dont get in the way of driving. There is no way to reset them. You have to get new bag and yes they can be from a junk yard but with all used parts you never know if they are any good. Also when you trip the air bags you need to replace the sensors and the computer that controls them. With out knowing what kind of car you have it is had to go any further in depth.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Yes, once the airbags deploy, the whole system needs to be replaced - sensors and charges and bags. Since they can explode and kill you, it is a professional only job.

She can probably drive the car without issue (if she doesn't mind not having airbags) but it must be disclosed upon sale or she will be liable for any injuries that may occur with the next owners. If the car is old enough, there's a good chance your friend's car is totaled due to the repair costs.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
I drove my Dodge Ram for years with a deployed airbag. And I'm a certified master technician. Didn't bother me at all.

but yes, everyone is correct, the airbags, crash sensors, and arbag contol module(s) must be replaced as a system. They are all only good for one use.

If you ask me though, airbags are a bunch of Horse crap. They kill just as many people as they save.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:00 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybyday4u View Post
A friend was in a fender bender and both her airbags ejected. The car is actually still in drivable condition. Does anyone know where she would go to get the airbags reset or replaced?[mod cut] I'm sure going to a dealership will be very very expensive I imagine. Can the be replace with parts from a junk yard? Is it a law that you have to have airbags in a car? I'm sure she will get them replaced but for now if she can't she has to drive the car so she want to know if it's against the law if she doesn't have them. She appreciates any helpful advice she can get.
Thank you
woh, ok first of all yea its ok to have non working airbags for a while until you get them replaced. Second of all, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THEM YOURSELF. I know of a man who was a 30 year GM certified tech that had gotten killed this way because he did not allow the sensors to the electrical system to fully charged down and the airbag still had power to it so when he started to unplug it, it deployed and threw him back by his head onto the hydraulic lift. Horrible story and stupid mystake, let the pros handle it and i would definatly have them put a factory air bag back in it at the dealer. just my opinion. I would just hate to here about some killing themself trying to save $$ by not letting a professional do it. I didn't get the impression you would but i thought i'd throw it out there anyway. I would not replace an airbag with a used part because you do not know if something is wrong or faulty when your mechanic replaces it and it could be fatal if it decides to go off on you as you are bent down near the wheel.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
The one in my truck went off because the cruise control switch shorted out and heated up the clockspring wires in the column just enough to set it off. Thank god I was hanging out the door looking behind me while trying to back up a trailer.

If I were facing forward, it would have sucked. I almost had to change my pants after that happened.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 63,433 times
Is everyone saying it is legal to drive in Texas w/o airbags after they have gone off. That happened to my son, car is drivable, but airbags blew out window etc. He has a 95 volvo

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
When are people going to realize that airbags kill? Oh the irony

Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
When are people going to realize that airbags kill? Oh the irony
The depowered ones in newer cars are much better. The first versions of airbags deployed with far too much force.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
The depowered ones in newer cars are much better. The first versions of airbags deployed with far too much force.
Thanks--I didn't know the newer ones were depowered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive