U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,704,422 times

Advertisements

I've done a couple searches on this forum as well as looking at a few other auto related forums. I'm in the market for a new car battery. My AC Delco freedom has given me five years. She's getting tired. I'd be inclined to buy another but I've read alot of recent postings about problems with the Delco, so I'm a bit hesitant.

I know that batteries are made by either JC, Delphi, or Exide and so you're basically buying the same battery with a different name slapped on it: DieHard, Duralast, etc. I know that some of the past quality of some of these batteries for whatever reason seems to have gone down: DieHard, Optima, etc.

That being said, do I simply go for the best waranty, best CCA, best reserve capacity, and forget if it's from Wal*Mart, wherever, or do I go for the "name" which I guess should suggest reputation? I'm sort of leary about this Wal*Mart Everstart thing. I don't have fancy stereo blah blah where I need some high capacity battery. Just a Toyota Corolla, I live in the Pacific Northwest (for now anyway) and I plan to keep my car until she just don't drive no more!! So I'm looking for no fuss and longevity, but I don't want to pay $189 (DieHard Platnum)

I've read the Consumer Reports and all that other stuff and quite frankly I'm getting confused.

You guys might confuse me more, but I think I'm up for the entertainment. They guys at work say it doesn't really matter. Just buy the battery with the highest CCA, RC, best warranty for the lowest price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM

42,614 posts, read 46,420,892 times
Persoanlly I just get mine at wal-mart and always install it myself ;so as to clean the battery area very well with baking soda and water, I greae the termianls well to and clean the connectors. The last one I got has a htree year repalaceemnt ands wal-mart ask no question where I live. I have ever seen that its worth paying more. Some batteries individauly just last longer even of the same brand and type. Kind of like light bulbns

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM

7,945 posts, read 16,020,544 times
I've tried 'em all, Cobalt . . . although a little pricey, my favorite is OPTIMA and well worth the few extra bucks.

and, by the way, the local Sams Club has some great prices on OPTIMAS.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,704,422 times
Yea, I cleaned the terminals because my negative side has a little corrosion issue that I can't seem to clear up. And the stupid green light on my battery says it's fine, but I know it isn't.....

Is Optima really all it's cracked up to be?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,711,213 times
Optima batteries are a little better but for normal use buy by CCA.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,996,766 times
We bought the better Optima battery and I find it to be amazing. We abuse it (sub zero weather, leaving lights on all night, etc and have never had anything but a powerful start from it. I am told that they last much longer too but we only bought it about a year and a ahalf ago so I do not know about that. My brother who is really into electric cars and knows a lot about batteries, says that Gel Cells are a lot better in cold climates.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

8,804 posts, read 22,944,898 times
I have had good service out of the mid-grade Wal-Mart battery, out of various Interstate batteries, and Optimas.

I have posted about this before, a new battery needs to be "initialized" before being put in service. Most convenient way to do this is to hook it up to a Battery Tender or similar "smart" charger overnight. This is not, strictly speaking, "necessary", but in my experience it does make for a stronger and longer-lived battery. Battery Tender is my favorite brand, there are others out there, just make sure you get a "smart" charger that turns itself off when the battery is "full"

While I'm restoring the domestic economy on your nickel, pick up one of those "memory saver" gadgets that plug into your cig. lighter and connect to a 9V battery, this will avoid having to reset your radio presets and clock(s). Most chain auto parts stores have these. If your car has "switched" power to the cig. lighter (most Japanese) you will need to put the key in the "acc" position for this to work.

The Optima really comes into it's own on a car that you don't drive regularly or for example will leave at an airport while you are out of town for 2-3 weeks. IMHO the most cost-effective battery is one from Wal-Mart. I have several of them in service and they seem to be fine, IIRC they are from Exide.

BTW if your battery is one you can add water to, you may want to check the levels in the cells (use safety glasses *at all times* when working around or on batteries)

The auto parts stores have specific cleaners and sprays for battery terminals. Either there or at Wally World might as well pick up a set of those felt washers, red and green, to put under the terminals. Ordinary Vaseline works well to prevent battery terminal corrosion as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM

2,750 posts, read 4,706,772 times
Optima's are very nice, but for the average user, they're overkill.

I reccomend the Die Hard Gold. I've had the same one in my truck for 6 years now, and it shows no signs of giving up. I just load tested it the other day and it's still at 85% capacity!

I can tell you this much though, stay the hell away from Autozone Duralast batteries. Those things are utter garbage. Google consumer reports car battery test, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 AM

631 posts, read 294,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yea, I cleaned the terminals because my negative side has a little corrosion issue that I can't seem to clear up. And the stupid green light on my battery says it's fine, but I know it isn't.....

Is Optima really all it's cracked up to be?
not anymore, optima got bought out by another company and everyone I have talked to has had bad luck with them recently. The people with the older optimas will tell you great things about their battery, because they used to be the best. I bought an agm from sears, and its doing great so far, I would also get one at walmart, they are made by a reliable brand. I have always gotten the best batteries from walmart.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM

3,832 posts, read 7,970,657 times
I've always been a big fan of Interstate Batteries....kind of expensive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive