U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM

6,932 posts, read 6,748,404 times
I archived Subaru of America's bulletins for any leaks regarding production plans - of course they don't have any. I could call support, but they'd wonder why we're asking about the next model when we're not selling any parts for the '09s yet,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,368,697 times
Yes I can tell you the 2010 STI will be different.

The five door(hatch) is there for a reason. The weight distribution is better and the aerodynamics when the car is sideways is better(homologation for rally). However, people don't like the five door as much so a four door is in the works(no guarantee). There will be some other changes as well.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:07 AM

809 posts, read 1,788,505 times
in my opinion they should KEEP the 5 door for those who like it........ and bring back the four door........ have some options........ cuz then you'll appeal to a wider audience

Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
in my opinion they should KEEP the 5 door for those who like it........ and bring back the four door........ have some options........ cuz then you'll appeal to a wider audience
Yeah they are going to keep the 5 door as some like it and it is better dynamically anyways. Plus there is the Group N and WRC homologation that is important. The previous generation 4 door was uncompetitive with Citroen and Ford due to the long overhangs and poor weight distribution.

Expect a special edition STI coming with a horsepower jump.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 AM

35,659 posts, read 53,323,154 times
I would imagine the STI should be getting a significant horsepower jump. With the standard WRX finally getting decent power and suspension tuning, the market separation between the two shrunk considerably and it just got a lot harder to justify plunking down 10 grand extra for the STI. In fact in recent testing, either Motor Trend, Car & Driver, or both, got better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the 2009 WRX than from the 2008 STI. With the WRX's new suspension upgrades, I'd like to see how they compare in handling/skidpad comparison. I think I saw the standard WRX is up to .88 g's on a skidpad? That's pretty impressive, and not too far off the STI's heels.

I realize the STI has better hardware all around, but is it 10 grand worth of extra hardware? For those who don't plan on aftermarket upgrades and therefore don't need the STI's beefier block and transmission, I daresay the answer is no. Subaru definitely needs to create more market separation between the WRX and the STI.

I do have to admit I would like to see that 6-speed finally migrate to the standard WRX. But that's one of the few pieces keeping some market separation between the WRX and the STI so it probably won't happen any time soon. I wonder what it would cost to toss a used 6-speed unit onto a standard WRX.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In fact in recent testing, either Motor Trend, Car & Driver, or both, got better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the 2009 WRX than from the 2008 STI. With the WRX's new suspension upgrades, I'd like to see how they compare in handling/skidpad comparison. I think I saw the standard WRX is up to .88 g's on a skidpad? That's pretty impressive, and not too far off the STI's heels.
I can validate that as I we ran 08 STI's vs. 09 WRX's for hundreds of laps back to back on a timed course and the 09 WRX was quicker. Partly that was a small course so on a longer track I think the STI would have beat it with horsepower and brakes.

Right now what I am hearing is 360 hp for the STI.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,913 times
I don't think the current STI looks bad, it doesn't scream for attention like the old models. But that's where some of the fun was. I like this current one a lot. But it's nothing specail to me. The body doesn't stand out from the normal WRX. I think with so many cars having 300 HP or more, they need to give it more guts. Give the car it's identity back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive