Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM

135 posts, read 224,135 times

Advertisements

I don't know if we have any UAW employees on this forum, but I'm hoping so in order to get inside the collective UAW head...

As I understand it, GM is banking on 2010 to save them because they think the UAW concessions and plant closures will kick in, and volume will go back up. In the meantime, they're burning through $5bn a month and they expect to get $10-$12bn out a $25bn government i.e. taxpayer loan. They think this will get them to 2010. Doing simple math, I see this getting them to Feb or March 2009.

They won't take $1/year salaries and keep flying around in their jets. The management is obviously bad, and isn't getting any better. They are obviously part of the problem. Now having said all this...

I also keep hearing Gettelfinger say that it's an economic problem and the UAW has done all they can. He won't even pull ahead these magic 2010 changes. I see interviews and IReports and such from UAW employees blaming GM and the economy and saying they've already pitched in enough and that the government should bail them out (I saw one person quoted saying this in a story... maybe he's the lone UAW nut, who knows).

The taxpayers would be paying for any $25bn loan, and the UAW won't concede anything, so in effect the taxpayers would be paying to keep GM and all these jobs etc going, as well as keep the UAW employees where they're currently at. Where they're currently at, is they make more and have significantly better benefits than most of the taxpayers that would pay for some GM bailout.

As a UAW worker, why do you think people making less than you with worse benefits (by and large) should pay to help you keep your job and more so your current pay and benefits, when you're doing nothing additional beyond what was in the last contract renegotiation to help keep your own jobs? This is a serious question. I'd like to try to understand how someone (besides Gettelfinger) rationalizes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
As I understand it, GM is banking on 2010 to save them because they think the UAW concessions and plant closures will kick in, and volume will go back up. In the meantime, they're burning through $5bn a month and they expect to get $10-$12bn out a $25bn government i.e. taxpayer loan. They think this will get them to 2010. Doing simple math, I see this getting them to Feb or March 2009.
In theory could GM get the money from the government and then promptly file for bankruptcy?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Auto workers make far more pay than their jobs merit. This is my opinion only and your mileage may vary (pun intended).

Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Let them go under...........its their own fault!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Auto workers make far more pay than their jobs merit. This is my opinion only and your mileage may vary (pun intended).

what do you do? how many autoworkers do u know? what are there specific jobs? have u ever been to the plants they work?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I think you make more pay than your job merits.

Tommy's First Law of Wages--I'm overworked, you're overpaid.

Tommy's Second Law of Wages---My raise helps the economy, your raise causes inflation.

Tommy's Third Law of Wages---My raise is the result of merit, your raise is the result of greed.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Funny how the wall-streeters who got us into this mess TO BEGIN WITH received money hand over fist without MENTION of taking pay cuts. And those folks working there make FAR MORE than any UAW working member could IMAGINE to make.

If I was UAW I'd tell management to take a hike too. F'em. Slightly less pay isn't going to save the Company. Using high quality parts in cars/trucks that are designed well would save the Company.

It's also often pointed out what a burden the retirees pose to GM. What is left out is the fact that GM has been losing market share due to producing an inferior product for DECADES and that has subsequently forced them to cut back on the amount of cars produced. If GM had the market share they had 30 years ago this wouldn't even be an issue.

Is it the workers fault GM uses cheap parts in cars designed horribly? Absolutely not.

Also, if you think the UAW has better pay and benefits than you, why aren't you working there right now?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
If automakers could maintain the salaries and benefits while remaining profitable...no one would care.
Now that my taxes are being given to the automakers without my consent ...I mind.

Say NO to all bail outs.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
It is time for Chrysler to get acquired. First the govt bailed them out and then Daimler. A GM - Chrysler tandem could work. Reduce overhead, rationalize the product lines and come out leaner to compete globally with Ford, Toyota, etc....

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
As a UAW worker, why do you think people making less than you with worse benefits (by and large) should pay to help you keep your job and more so your current pay and benefits, when you're doing nothing additional beyond what was in the last contract renegotiation to help keep your own jobs? This is a serious question. I'd like to try to understand how someone (besides Gettelfinger) rationalizes this.
I'm far from being a UAW worker, but allow me to contribute. First of all, if they keep their, as you call it, higher paying job, they (have and) would be contributing more as tax payers than those who are also tax payers but make less.

And who doesn't want the best benefits? I certainly do, and will do anything to get it. Those top executives do too, and they have an easier way to get things done.

We have got to look at this issue without being divisive and short sighted. We have to consider the realities that go with any decision we make. I consider job losses, and proliferation of lower pay (barely or NOT keeping up with inflation) as one of the more significant reasons for this economic mess. Job losses on this scale don't just affect those individuals who lost their jobs, but you and me too, and there is a cascading effect, more so for us being a consumer based economy.

Another big handicap that American Automakers deal with (besides horrible management at the top, which is utterly clueless and entirely based on "tradition" and "educational qualification" and not innovative thinking), is benefits. Right wing media likes to show how much more UAW workers make, often using misrepresentation of facts.

A good example if healthcare. It costs $1500/car to GM, and they compete against likes of Honda and Toyota who have socialized healthcare in their country, costing them about $150/car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive