Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 AM

49 posts, read 220,312 times

Advertisements

I was leaving work around midnight I worked right off Gratiot which in Michigan is a pretty famous cruising location. I hit a Michigan turnaround and happen to get next to a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. I being in my Mustang couldn't resist the opportunity. We took off and raced twice in a 2 mile span neither of us could pull a fender on each other from a 20 roll.
Right after a cop pulls right behind me and not him mind you the guy in the 3000 GT is still right next to me. So the first words out of the cop’s mouth were "what kind of car were you racing"? I told him and went on to say "you could have pulled both of us over and not just me". Mind you I was a little wired from racing! The cop looks over my car and said "your back tires are bald"; I said "no there not those are drag radials". Then he "said your windshield is cracked", no argument there it was. So he wrote me up for improper equipment cracked windshield and bald tires. Somehow I forgot to pay those tickets and that turned into a suspended license. Shortly after that I ran a red light, yellow in my book and was taken to jail for driving on a suspended license.

I was pulled over before this twice for drag racing. The first, the cop asked me how long I've been driving because I looked pretty young for my age. That ticket resulted in court cost of 200 and probation for one year because it was my first ticket ever, no points. The second time I was written up for drag racing but I was not! There was a semi in front of me, there was no way I was racing, I tried to explain this to the state cop but he wasn't having it. That was dropped to 5 over. It's been 8 years and counting since my last ticket.

For those curious my Mustang was a mid to low 12 second car on spray which was an absolute blast to drive on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofmotown View Post
I was leaving work around midnight I worked right off Gratiot which in Michigan is a pretty famous cruising location. I hit a Michigan turnaround and happen to get next to a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. I being in my Mustang couldn't resist the opportunity. We took off and raced twice in a 2 mile span neither of us could pull a fender on each other from a 20 roll.
Right after a cop pulls right behind me and not him mind you the guy in the 3000 GT is still right next to me. So the first words out of the cop’s mouth were "what kind of car were you racing"? I told him and went on to say "you could have pulled both of us over and not just me". Mind you I was a little wired from racing! The cop looks over my car and said "your back tires are bald"; I said "no there not those are drag radials". Then he "said your windshield is cracked", no argument there it was. So he wrote me up for improper equipment cracked windshield and bald tires. Somehow I forgot to pay those tickets and that turned into a suspended license. Shortly after that I ran a red light, yellow in my book and was taken to jail for driving on a suspended license.

I was pulled over before this twice for drag racing. The first, the cop asked me how long I've been driving because I looked pretty young for my age. That ticket resulted in court cost of 200 and probation for one year because it was my first ticket ever, no points. The second time I was written up for drag racing but I was not! There was a semi in front of me, there was no way I was racing, I tried to explain this to the state cop but he wasn't having it. That was dropped to 5 over. It's been 8 years and counting since my last ticket.

For those curious my Mustang was a mid to low 12 second car on spray which was an absolute blast to drive on the street.
All I can say about this story is, "Confession is good for the soul."

By the way, I've been driving for 32 years and have yet to get any kind of moving violation, which is incredible, being that I live in the car capital of America (Los Angeles / Southern California).

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,357 times
Default $562

Last I heard, MIAMI is the car capital of the world...

These are all pretty good. Some of them I find hard to believe that some of you got off for going 40+ since that is a reckless driving charge in some states. My friend went 32mph over in West Virginia I believe and got a Reckless Driving charge, had to pay a hefty fine, and earned 8 points on his license. He would've received jail time if he was a resident of W.V.

Anyway my story; nothing interesting though: Let's see. I've been pulled over at lease 8 times: all in the same car in less than 2 years.

My first time was when I got my second car after being involved in an accident. I was t-boned (not my fault). Anyway, this is my childhood town Shawnee, KS and I'm driving back home after having my grad. party. I turned left onto the road and a couple blocks down I went on to put on my selt belt. Now this cop was in an unmarked Mustang GT. He rode on my a** for a couple blocks and then flashed his lights. He said I was going 8 over!!! WTF?! 8MPH you're kidding! And then he went on to tell me that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and that I supposedly put it on when I saw him. That ended up being a $112 fine.

The other times were:
-3 speeding (all less than or around 10mph but no written warnings),
-suspicious activity (driving after 2 o'clock in an area that is know for car thefts obviously they saw I was rolling around with 4 Mexicans: yeah racial profiling),
-twice for not having my 30 day tags properly placed which they were by DMV standards,
-twice for no license plates (once by a city cop and then by a highway patrolwoman who scared the crap out my sibs (they were stolen at a movie theatre: received a warning both times),
-once more for something else

In April, I was pulled over for supposedly not stopping at a "stop sign", not using a turn signal and cutting three lanes. Well it was 1 in the morning and I had just left work to go to a grocery store that was open.

The cop pulled a fast one. She comes up to my window and the first thing she asks me is where I'm coming from. I tell her that it really isn't her business but show her my work uniform. She has her left hand on the gun and flashing the light in my face and then tells me why she pulled me over. Well, I didn't have insurance at the time (I was going to renew the next day b/c my recent one had expired). I then got a mandatory court appearance in exchange for a ticket.

I went home after that and passed the exit I turned on and found out it WAS INDEED A YIELD SIGN. I was livid. At the courthouse I told them that it was a yield sign but they weren't having it. I even showed them a picture but nope! I ended up having to pay the no insurance and the no stopping. GRAND TOTAL: $450

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Got speeding tickets left and right as a kid ... later went on and became a cop, all the training came in handy.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
I got a ticket for going 145 in a 55 mph zone. It was bad because the cop was a jerk and gave me a reckless driving ticket instead of a speeding ticket. Arizona has a law that if you get 2 major violations within 5 years your license gets revoked for 1 year. Since I had a DWI 4 years prior I got revoked for one year and had to pay a $250 fine.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Default No Way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I got a ticket for going 145 in a 55 mph zone. It was bad because the cop was a jerk and gave me a reckless driving ticket instead of a speeding ticket. Arizona has a law that if you get 2 major violations within 5 years your license gets revoked for 1 year. Since I had a DWI 4 years prior I got revoked for one year and had to pay a $250 fine.
90 MPH over?!?! Are you sure this is not a typo. Man I would've just dragged your butt over to jail right at the moment! So stupid... 90 over. That is... ludicrous; just dumb. $250: you got off the hook. So what you got your license revoked for a year; some states would've put ya in jail. So in the end, you got lucky.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,372 times
68 in a 45-I was in my '93 Honda Prelude with a 5-speed Vtec engine and was running late for an appointment. It was VERY hard to watch your speed in that car..you'd be driving along thinking you're going 45 and you look at the speedometer and it'd be hitting 65.
I got quite a few tickets in that cop-magnet..including two from the same municipality (at different times) for an expired inspection sticker (it was like 2 years overdue!) It had a DC exhaust and they wouldn't pass it, and I wasn't about to take it off the car so I took my chances. Still paying on those tickets!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
90 MPH over?!?! Are you sure this is not a typo. Man I would've just dragged your butt over to jail right at the moment! So stupid... 90 over. That is... ludicrous; just dumb. $250: you got off the hook. So what you got your license revoked for a year; some states would've put ya in jail. So in the end, you got lucky.

I drove a 1988 Toyota Supra turbo with a modified turbo. It was not a typo. I WAS arrested on the spot and spent over a day in jail and was then was released on OR. I forgot to mention they towed my car and had to pay $125 to get it released the next day. You claim I got off the hook??? Well lets see what happened...

1. I got the ticket in November 2003.

2. I was a delivery driver who drove my own car for deliveries. Since I was in jail, no call and no show cost me my job right away. Not to mention I had to retrieve the car from the impound lot.

3. The next month I had to go to court. I had no case so I I plead guilty and paid the $250 fine.

4. Two weeks later I receive a letter from the DMV saying my license was was revoked for 1 year.

5. I worked as an independent contractor since 1998 so I did not receive any unemployment benefits. I could not find any work since this incident happened.

6. I had a large amount of savings that lasted me over a year until December 2004. I then went broke and lost everything including both cars and my house at this point. I ended up homeless with no money.

7. January 2005 I got my license back. My mother bought me a 1987 toyota corolla for $500 that I hated. Still, it was a car and better than walking. I managed to start working as a courier again and within another month was renting a room out of someones house. My new job did not pay anywhere near what my old one did though. I did eventually half way recover.

In closing, all this happened with a speeding ticket. I think it was ridiculous.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
I've only been ticketed for speed once...51 mph in a 30 mph zone in freaking Foley, MN. I was on a state highway that first was signed 65 mph, then 50 mph (put the cruise control down to 50), and then for a couple blocks it went down to 30. I was tired, it was dark, and I noticed the sign but was slow to react and thought the normal speed limit would resume so I just turned down my cruise control. All of a sudden, there were those freaking flashing lights behind me and despite being kind to the officer and him knowing I was from out of town, he wrote me up for the FULL 51 in a 30! $227 ticket!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I drove a 1988 Toyota Supra turbo with a modified turbo. It was not a typo. I WAS arrested on the spot and spent over a day in jail and was then was released on OR. I forgot to mention they towed my car and had to pay $125 to get it released the next day. You claim I got off the hook??? Well lets see what happened...

1. I got the ticket in November 2003.

2. I was a delivery driver who drove my own car for deliveries. Since I was in jail, no call and no show cost me my job right away. Not to mention I had to retrieve the car from the impound lot.

3. The next month I had to go to court. I had no case so I I plead guilty and paid the $250 fine.

4. Two weeks later I receive a letter from the DMV saying my license was was revoked for 1 year.

5. I worked as an independent contractor since 1998 so I did not receive any unemployment benefits. I could not find any work since this incident happened.

6. I had a large amount of savings that lasted me over a year until December 2004. I then went broke and lost everything including both cars and my house at this point. I ended up homeless with no money.

7. January 2005 I got my license back. My mother bought me a 1987 toyota corolla for $500 that I hated. Still, it was a car and better than walking. I managed to start working as a courier again and within another month was renting a room out of someones house. My new job did not pay anywhere near what my old one did though. I did eventually half way recover.

In closing, all this happened with a speeding ticket. I think it was ridiculous.
Well I can't say I pity your situation. You did go 90 mph over. I'm not going to lecture ya and you don't need a lecture from a 19 year old. I think the cop saved your life and others. Those speeds have disaster written all over them.

I just hope (and I'm sure) you learned your lesson. One small thing can cost you a good part of your life or your life. Glad to know your life is getting back on tract man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive