Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times

Advertisements

I don't see why GM would have to elimate an entire make from its lineup. The could keep Pontiac, just only make 2 or 3 models, such as the Grand Prix and one other model, they could be made at the Chevrolet, or Buick plants. If the new Camaro really takes off, then they could bring back a retro Firebird as well. Just like when Oldsmobile was eliminated, they could have kept one or two models...then again why not just have it as an "Oldsmobile"? Does it have to be an Oldsmobile, Cutlass Supreme? Or an Oldsmobile Delta 88?, in the old days these makes didn't have a huge variety under one name plate anyway.

To be honest, I would mind seeing the Saturn and Saab go though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
in China the winner is the Buick name
Buicks look like this in China...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/escambiaguy/800px-New_Buick_Park_Avenue.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
you're saying you think saturn should be above chevy?

Yes. That's where they want it positioned, as a mid-level premium brand. The Malibu and the Aura the same car, but the Aura is nicer with more features.

Besides, Saturn entry-level is much nicer than Chevy entry-level.

I would say Buick, but no one really takes Buick seriously these days. They make really nice cars that almost no one buys because it's a Buick. Fair or not, that's business.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes. That's where they want it positioned, as a mid-level premium brand. The Malibu and the Aura the same car, but the Aura is nicer with more features.

Besides, Saturn entry-level is much nicer than Chevy entry-level.

I would say Buick, but no one really takes Buick seriously these days. They make really nice cars that almost no one buys because it's a Buick. Fair or not, that's business.
Personally I've always hated the Saturn style. They've got no heart. I'd take any Chevy any day over just about any Saturn. But that's just IMO.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Buicks look like this in China...
What is that exactly? The headlights look like the Grand Prix's?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I don't see why GM would have to elimate an entire make from its lineup. The could keep Pontiac, just only make 2 or 3 models, such as the Grand Prix and one other model, they could be made at the Chevrolet, or Buick plants. If the new Camaro really takes off, then they could bring back a retro Firebird as well. Just like when Oldsmobile was eliminated, they could have kept one or two models...then again why not just have it as an "Oldsmobile"? Does it have to be an Oldsmobile, Cutlass Supreme? Or an Oldsmobile Delta 88?, in the old days these makes didn't have a huge variety under one name plate anyway.

To be honest, I would mind seeing the Saturn and Saab go though...
The Grand Prix is already gone from the lineup. I was looking at it just now. They've got a G5, 3 variants of G6, G8, Solstice, and Torrent (SUV).....and that's it.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Few minutes a go saw on Fox channel where GM has a "Job Bank" fund that pays LAID OFF workers $31.00 an hr. What the heck gives?. No wonder detroit has a problem with pacifying the Unions. Again, no big deal...just raise the price of each car off the assembly line...that will solve the money issue. H*** with the consumer. UAW RULES.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
What is that exactly? The headlights look like the Grand Prix's?
It's built on the Australian based Holden platform, just like the Pontiac G8.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Several divisions??? Wow, people are in such denial. GM will be lucky to have ANY divisions in 6 months.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:23 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
GM has long needed to cut many divisions.

I would like to see them cut it to 3.

Chevy - Entry-level cars, and trucks and SUV's.

Saturn - Mid-level cars and some SUV's.

Cadillac - Luxury cars and SUV's.

That allows them to remain competitive and have a nice line-up to offer.
I'd be interested to see the same, although I would still but Buick as the middle, although like you said, it is not a brad that gets taken seriously. Although, I don't really take Saturn's upmarket move seriously either.

Quote:
you're saying you think saturn should be above chevy?
That's how GM wants it, although I agree that I still don't see it that way in my mind, i.e. the marketing didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive