Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times

Advertisements

I remember the days when most automatics, especially on domestic cars, used column shifters. I liked column shifters for automatics because they freed up floor space between the driver and passenger. Not having the shifter be in the way so the driver could enter and exit via the passenger door used to be one of the niceties of an automatic.

Can anyone think of any current automobiles that have column shifters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times
Impala, Crown Vic, police package Charger.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
I'm in GM parts, and the '09 trucks still have column shifters. I'm not sure but most full size trucks should.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Makes road head easier

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
I'm sure the Italin-made Fiat van still has a "five-on-the-tree" My Freightliner is an Auto-shift" automatic with the lever on the right side of the column. It can be "shifted" maually with that lever if desired. But I seldom, if ever, use it in manual, though. (I miss the old GM "3 on the tree" trnsmission levers that were in older Chevy/GMC pickups like I drove in the military!)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
LOL USA

MB uses it. It's called Parktronic and very fun!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
Pretty much all of your pick up trucks that are automatic still have an auto on the column.

How many of us here remember the '3 on the tree" shifters? I always though those were for old men who didn't want to have to reach down for the shifter.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

93 posts, read 165,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
How many of us here remember the '3 on the tree" shifters? I always though those were for old men who didn't want to have to reach down for the shifter.
My first car had three on the tree---1967 Rambler Wagon

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
The days of manual tranny column shifting have long been over but all of my GM automatics have column shifters... everyone who gets in my cars that rarely sees this sort of thing always gives it some sort of compliment or thinks its "cool"... I don't see what is so fascinating about it but I do like not having that divide you get from floor shifters.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
I remember the days when most automatics, especially on domestic cars, used column shifters. I liked column shifters for automatics because they freed up floor space between the driver and passenger. Not having the shifter be in the way so the driver could enter and exit via the passenger door used to be one of the niceties of an automatic.

Column shifters?

Bench seats?

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !

I hate bench seats. I like being in my own section of the car with a fat console in the middle. Before that, cupholders and storage were relegated to those ugly aftermarket cupholder/storage pieces of junk that straddled the transmission hump. Remeber those plastic gems? Oh my god. I have horrible memories of family sedans from yesteryear, as you can tell.

Today, everything is in the console. Cavernous storage, MP3 plug in, power outlets, cup holders, disc changers, seat heater and ride control switches, rear seat HVAC controls and amenities, and of course, it's topped with a big fat arm rest. Even in the cheap cars. Oh yeah, there's a shifter in there somewhere too. Manufacturers have done an OK job of dressing up the ones with "bench" seats to have some of these amenities, but they still chill me to the bone, imagining someone actually sitting there.

In terms of available cars (which I understand some people like), the Ford Crown Victoria comes to mind. The Impala, Lucerne, Lacrosse, Toyota Avalon and Ford Taurus could also be ruined by a bench seat, at least until recently. I'm not sure if they are available like this anymore. The Toyota Prius has a column shifter. Actually more like a dashboard shifter. But the front still only has two seats, so it doesn't count. Maybe there are others. And of course pickup trucks.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-10-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive