Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Also, if anyone has ever owned a Toyota or a Honda, you know all about what reliability is. These cars last forever, if taken car of they easily last 300-400K miles. American cars cannot last that long. Today, cars are very expensive, and so are their repairs and it almost seems like GM, Ford and Chrysler depend on their cars to break down to allow the service departments of dealerships to make a lot of money. Americans no longer tolerate this, and Americans know the Japanese cars are made extremely well. People don't usually buy them for styling...they buy them for their workmanship.

Million Mile Van

Another million-mile vehicle: '97 Ford E-250 set to roll its odo over - Autoblog

Offbeat News: Woman Drives 1970 Camaro Over One Million Miles, Thumbs Nose At Volvo

Wisconsin Man Drives Millionth Mile in '91 Chevy : NPR

Chevy Silverado 200k Mile Club

2007 Ford Crown Victoria Expert Reviews

eBay Motors: Lincoln : Town Car (item 200280632122 end time Dec-02-08 15:44:58 PST)

Search results for Lincoln in Cars & Trucks

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Astro (item 200279792277 end time Dec-03-08 19:10:52 PST)

eBay Motors: Buick : Reatta (item 270310092785 end time Dec-09-08 01:27:37 PST)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thni taht safety requirement s have changed the braking requirements.Tha lie pollution controls are governamnt driven by politics of specail interest groups. In teh end they aply to all makers ;so isn't a facotr in american cars being unpopular. The american manufacturers have very expensive employeee benefits and legacy cost that have driven what they do.They continued to sign these contracts as long as they were making high profits on Large high cost SUV's. It now is like teh 70;s when they started dropping in sells that they are burnig all the money from sales and then some.At this point most really doubt that they and the unions can do anyhthinng that wil bring them back to profitabilty.Its liie trying to stop the new orleans flooding once the levies broke.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
texdav....you need to work on your typing skills.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
I'm still laughing about the gas cap post. When a thief wants your gas any device you place on the gas cap or gas cap door is useless. When a thief finds these security devices he/she merely punches a hole in the gas tank. Instead of losing $40 worth of gas you are now stuck for a gas tank replacement for about $500 plus the gas.
I have been driving Fords for more than twenty five years buying four different vehicles and never had a breakdown. I did the recommended maintenance and that was all. I am now approaching 100k on an 05 Escape with no problems. I average 20mpg with a high of 25mpg and can tow a boat, trailer, or small camper. I can drive this car 500 miles and still feel like I got out of my living room chair. What more could I ask of a vehicle?
Most people who buy new cars seldom keep them for more than 3-5 years just because their needs change or they get tired of what they are driving. I think the average mileage for most drivers is about 12,000 annually and most cars are traded or sold with less than 60k on them. Car companies know this and can easily dangle 10 year warranties, but have you ever tired to collect on one?
I am happy to drive an American car made by union labor.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bought an extended warranty for two of my cars from the dealership (after the original warranty expired) and they have both already paid for themselves + a little more on the truck. No deductible. Each warranty was around a grand and extended the original warranty 3 more years. Totally worth it. Knew the dealership folks and got the fleet price.
Great! It's glad to hear that - at least once in awhile - this happens.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am happy to drive an American car made by union labor.
I agree, American union labor is the only way to go!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Also, if anyone has ever owned a Toyota or a Honda, you know all about what reliability is. These cars last forever, if taken car of they easily last 300-400K miles. American cars cannot last that long.
I have had several American vehicles that have made it past the 300k mark quite easily. Right now am driving an 89 with 280k on it 140 miles round trip every day. Good old American Iron made right in Flint, Michigan. Best was a 77 Mercury Cougar that I sold with 200k+ miles on it and the guy I sold it to ran it for 5 years and another 150k miles before the body wouldn't pass inspection anymore. I personally know of 8 Dodge Caravans that have made the 300k mark without major problems (usually a $1000 transmission job at 70k then good to go the rest of their lives.) One of which ran the original plugs and wires for 160k with nothing more than oil and filter (air and oil) changes.

American cars DO go well over the 300 or 400k mark on a regular basis.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, American union labor is the only way to go!
Go for what? Fwiw, as one example, Camrys and Legacys are the two most reliable sedans made over the past decade, and they are all made with Union free labor here in the USA.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Reliability has more to do w/engineering than the hands building the car. Besides, union plants are always in the top ten of the Harbour Report. If you don't know what it is, look it up, i don't have time right now.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
They should reduce the number of variation of vehicle so they can concentrate on a few models with few variations. Not multiple versions of engines and transmissions per model. Also, and the most important one, is provide transportation if warranty work is needed. That way the consumer has a vehicle if the car is being worked on. The customer shouldn't have to pay to have transportation when they already bought a car. And not an Aveo, but the same or better car at no charge.

The styling isn't necessarily an issue. The new Verve looks nice.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/...rveDetroit.jpg

However, I know someone who got the newest Corvette, and it didn't start at least 2 times. Having only had European cars the previous decade, now he's going to look at Japanese cars after he can get rid of the Corvette. He's got no interest in GM cars after that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive