Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times

Advertisements

I thought GM specifically had cut back on selling to rental companies.
GM to continue weaning itself off fleet sales - Autoblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Automakers are finally getting it, but it seems consumers aren't. The CEOs of Ford, GM, and Chrysler aren't the same as the ones of the 1970s/1980s, when American cars were unreliable (as to what I understand, I was a 90s baby). Ford's Fusion is very reliable, as are more and more cars coming out of Detroit. You can't blame management of today for the problems that persisted in the past.

Many new Big 3 cars are much better on gas than in the past. The 08 Malibu gets about 21/32 I believe, The '10 Fusion will get at least 33 hwy, the Magnum and Sebring get about 30 hwy. American automakers are trying to improve, but it's up to us to support them. How will they ever get better if no one buys their cars (thus bringing in less money to invest in new innovations)?

Of course, it's not all about mileage and reliability. Some of the Big 3 interiors contain WAY too much plastic, making the car feel cheap. No one wants to spend 20k on a plastic box. Fortunately, they are slowly but surely realizing this and improving their cars' interiors as they are remodled.

We can only hope for the best.
Thankyou so much, I'm glad somebody has some sense. All these people who brag about having bought Toyota for 20 years and things like this really make me mad when they flat out REFUSE to give American automakers a chance. I worked with a woman who had always driven Hondas or Toyotas and when it was time for her to get a new car she would not even consider looking around an American auto dealership.

The thing about refusing to buy American and expecting them to change at the same time is typical American attitude. Just like with taxes, we fuss because we want things to get better, but we just cannot stand to be put out even a little if that's what it takes for change.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
All you have to do is watch their commericals. Trucks and SUVs that can "tow a 757" or "climb a 45 degree hill". How many people do they think want a car or SUV because we are going to tow an airplane or climb an off road hill?? What most of us want is a decent reliable car to go back and forth from work on a PAVED road that gets DECENT gas (d0n't think that $1.25 gas is going to be around forever) and one that doesn't leave us stranded on a dark highway at night in a bad neighbourhood. Oh, and add to that a car that is actually still running when the last loan payment is made!
This is why GM is going broke. It isn't "the unions fault" nor is it "the Japanese's fault". I don't know why a Camry, Corolla, Accord, Civic or even a Kia is such rocket science that GM cannot compete.
For those who have heavy toys or work on jobs that require heavy payloads/towing, then YES, its important that they have a HD truck that can perform. And right now, there are no Japanese/German/Alien/etc, trucks that can compete.

And if you havent noticed, the Big 3 have made HUGE strides in reliability, where companies like Toyota and Honda have been getting a little shady with their quality. In fact Ford quality levels are now on par with Honda and Toyota. And getting back to trucks, no Tundra/Titan can hang with a Super Duty. A Super Duty could tow 2 Tundras to Hell and back, with the Tundras fighting all the way. As a long time Japanese car owner, even people like me have to give credit where credit is due. The Big 3 have come a LONG way in the last 5 years. If they can outlast the hard times, youre in for a BIG surprise. The public/economy have opened their eyes. And once their eyes are fully opened and theyre on the attack, Honda and Toyota will go down. Mark my words.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
All you have to do is watch their commericals. Trucks and SUVs that can "tow a 757" or "climb a 45 degree hill". How many people do they think want a car or SUV because we are going to tow an airplane or climb an off road hill?? What most of us want is a decent reliable car to go back and forth from work on a PAVED road that gets DECENT gas (d0n't think that $1.25 gas is going to be around forever) and one that doesn't leave us stranded on a dark highway at night in a bad neighbourhood. Oh, and add to that a car that is actually still running when the last loan payment is made!
This is why GM is going broke. It isn't "the unions fault" nor is it "the Japanese's fault". I don't know why a Camry, Corolla, Accord, Civic or even a Kia is such rocket science that GM cannot compete.
Such prattle...

Maybe you should go out and inform yourself as a consumer instead of whimpering from your armchair.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
great big fat americans driving big fat cars.
GMC is only giving them what they want.
we need to change.
somehow john wayne became porky pig.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times
Quote:
That is true BUT how many commercials do you see for the Malibu or the Focus?? Almost none and there is a reson for that. The reason is because the few cars that GM makes are not made for me and you but for their fleet business. They are more interested in selling them to fleets (rental cars, corporations) than to us.
I always thought it was because the Big 3 make a bigger profit off of trucks rather than cars (which is why they made billions while heavily relying on trucks). I don't remember the source, but I remember the Big 3 made about $10,000 profit on trucks, compared to about a $2,000 profit for sedans. They're making hefty incentives on trucks now, which lowers the profit they make (if they're even still making a profit). On top of bigger profits, the big 3 definitely produce more trucks/SUVs than cars, which most likely means they have more trucks to sell than cars.

I did see a Focus commercial though. And the new Malibu has been one of GM's bright spots through the auto downturn.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
That is true BUT how many commercials do you see for the Malibu or the Focus?? Almost none and there is a reson for that. The reason is because the few cars that GM makes are not made for me and you but for their fleet business. They are more interested in selling them to fleets (rental cars, corporations) than to us.
In our area, we see LOTS AND LOTS of commercials for the Focus and Malibu - so, I don't know what the problem is -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive