Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Can I ask the reason why? Seriously, I am not trying to be a smart butt.

They are exceptionally poorly constructed (I used to do stereo installs, I've seen how they wire up everything...it looks like a marmot on cocaine went nuts), their resale value is stupendously bad, they drive like a Tonka "My First Car", and after a couple years they more closely resemble the side of a building in Beirut than a car.

If you want an inexpensive, reliable, nice car, there are other manufacturers out there that offer a vastly superior product.

The weird thing is that Hyundai and Kia both come from the same parent company, yet Hyundai is a much better-constructed car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Its decent. Not great, not bad. Meh.

Prices are good and warranty is tops. Itll be a winner for the 20-30 year old crowd.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
They are exceptionally poorly constructed (I used to do stereo installs, I've seen how they wire up everything...it looks like a marmot on cocaine went nuts), their resale value is stupendously bad, they drive like a Tonka "My First Car", and after a couple years they more closely resemble the side of a building in Beirut than a car.

If you want an inexpensive, reliable, nice car, there are other manufacturers out there that offer a vastly superior product.

The weird thing is that Hyundai and Kia both come from the same parent company, yet Hyundai is a much better-constructed car.
Rubbish.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Rubbish.

Yes, yes, we all know your opinion is the only valid one.

Kia's are disposable crap.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM

324 posts, read 883,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
You mean this SOUL! Went to the LA Auto Show. Here it is. It nice, but I like the Scion xB.
Yeah, it was at the LA Auto Show. Autoblog reviewed it too. I think it's got some pretty cool features, like USB input jacks and full iPod control in the steering wheel.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
mechanicals are from the Spectra
Well, that settles it, it's going to be crap.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes, yes, we all know your opinion is the only valid one.

Kia's are disposable crap.
And your opinion that Kia is "disposable crap" is valid?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And your opinion that Kia is "disposable crap" is valid?
Someone who used to do something somewhere doesn't like KIAs.

I bought one in March, never even considered the brand until I started seeing their ads for the Spectra.

Our Spectra is essentially a last-generation Hyundai Elantra. It is solid, the interior is well laid out, the heat and air and trannie and engine all work well, it drives like a dream with great stability and comfort, at 60, 70, 80 or more.

I remember my teen years, when we had our GM-Ford-Chrysler arguments. Some people seem stuck in that mindset.

I test drive extensively, and buy what seems like the best deal and that agrees with my pocketbook and personal tastes. IMO the Spectra is an excellent car.
There probably are no poor cars built (for our market) today, other than the occasional lemon that is a perfect storm of mismatched parts and built on a Monday morning or Friday night.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM

324 posts, read 883,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Someone who used to do something somewhere doesn't like KIAs.

I bought one in March, never even considered the brand until I started seeing their ads for the Spectra.

Our Spectra is essentially a last-generation Hyundai Elantra. It is solid, the interior is well laid out, the heat and air and trannie and engine all work well, it drives like a dream with great stability and comfort, at 60, 70, 80 or more.

I remember my teen years, when we had our GM-Ford-Chrysler arguments. Some people seem stuck in that mindset.

I test drive extensively, and buy what seems like the best deal and that agrees with my pocketbook and personal tastes. IMO the Spectra is an excellent car.
There probably are no poor cars built (for our market) today, other than the occasional lemon that is a perfect storm of mismatched parts and built on a Monday morning or Friday night.
I agree, I think Kia's have made improvements in quality over the years. The SOUL isn't a bad deal either, considering all of its features. Seems pretty practical too w/ 30 mph highway.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:06 PM

It's not hard to improve when you are one of the top 3 worst brands in terms of quality.

Brands ranked higher than Kia for quality -

Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, Scion, Saturn...hell, even Volkswagen and Saab are better-ranked than Kia.

You know who is worse? Suzuki and Land Rover. That's it.

Kia's are disposable crap cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia