Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Consumer Reports a valid and reliable source of automotive reliablilty data?
Yes. 69 64.49%
No. 29 27.10%
Not sure. Please explain. 9 8.41%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Do you consider Consumer Reports to be a valid and reliable source of vehicle reliability data? Why or why not?
They're about as objective as you get (but I wish they would survey more than just their subscribers). Far more than the industry rags like C&D, MT, etc. that are half ads and and gushy orgasmic reviews. "Well, the engine fell out but it hugged the road like my first hooker".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No. As someone in the automotive industry, I find them to be quite biased, and not really a good guide for much of anything.
Are you capable of articulating a reason?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
CR has been biased against American cars since the 80's. I can't believe that so many cannot see the blatant bias. The language they use when referring to different car companies is a dead giveaway. Say whatever you want, but I will never trust CR.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Are you capable of articulating a reason?

To CR, if it's American, it's a POS. Period. Their mind is made up before they ever drive it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
To CR, if it's American, it's a POS. Period. Their mind is made up before they ever drive it.
I don't see it that way. I've seen them recommend Chevys and Fords and other vehicles I personally wouldn't select. If it seems like they are biased towards Japanese cars, it could very well be that those cars are really better!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
CR has been biased against American cars since the 80's. I can't believe that so many cannot see the blatant bias. The language they use when referring to different car companies is a dead giveaway. Say whatever you want, but I will never trust CR.
They don't like what you like so they're biased? You're confusing the message with the messenger. Can you come up with some reason (real or imagined) they would be biased? You think they're getting money under the table from the Japanese?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
I have to laugh at all these thoughts on CR. They send out a survey to their members asking them a bunch of questions about the cars they own. CR then compiles that data and reports the cars problems. How can CR be biased in reliabilty if all their info comes from their members? All they are doing is reporting problems!! (Remember the original poster asked about CR's take on reliability ratings.)

All I know is that I have had several American, Asian, and European makes. The problems that I have had with all of them seemed to run hand in hand with the info other CR members reported. Our Toyota Sienna has been perfect for 60,000 miles while our Chrysler vans had AC and transmission problems. Our Oldsmobile Shillouette was soooooo bad that I only kept it for 8 months because NOTHING worked right. The Jeep was a real POS. Kept it for less than a year. Both the Mountaineer and Explorer were acceptable up to about 100,000 miles. The Geo Prizm (really a Toyota Corolla) was no problem. Both the BMW's were problems, but I loved them! So far the Infiniti G35 has been trouble free.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Because their data is collected from subscribers through their annual survey form they send out. Who better to ask than the person who owns and drives a particular make and model.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have seen some things in CR that didn't seem quite right. For example, they may show engine problems for a '04 Taurus, and then they show no problems for a '05 Taurus, even though both models use the exact same engine.
Their sample is haphazard, not scientific.

I still remember one year they said yes buy Taurus no don't buy Sable or vice versa. Exactly the same vehicles under the skin.
Yet they blew right past this obvious non sequiter with nary a question or comment. Any responsible journalist or reliability assessor would address such discrepancies. But that would open a can of worm that I don't think CR wishes to open.

One should also take note that not everyone is completely honest when filling out surveys. Nor is everyone's definition of "problems" the same.

Unscientific, with a magazine-led pro-Japanese bias, so their data are interesting, sometimes amusing, but hardly definitive.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
They don't like what you like so they're biased?
Nope, that's not the reason. They are biased. When they talk about an American car, it's always something like, "we couldn't find anything wrong, this car is really nice, owner surveys say good things about this car, BUT they used to have problems so we can't recommend this car...blah, blah, blah..." I don't have anything against Foreign cars. My beef is with CR. No, I don't know why they are biased. I am not interested in that. I can tell by the way they write. That's enough evidence for me. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive