U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Consumer Reports a valid and reliable source of automotive reliablilty data?
Yes. 40 71.43%
No. 13 23.21%
Not sure. Please explain. 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,159,462 times

Advertisements

Do you consider Consumer Reports to be a valid and reliable source of vehicle reliability data? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM

3,142 posts, read 7,148,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Do you consider Consumer Reports to be a valid and reliable source of vehicle reliability data? Why or why not?
The only time they are not valid is when it conflicts with someones personal opinion.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 PM

13,359 posts, read 42,643,011 times
They are valid and objective, although the survey form is sort of simplistic (did you have trouble with the following systems, yes or no...electrical, brakes, engine, etc.) Some nimble nut living in San Fran who wears out a set of brake pads in say 15 to 20K miles and ain't happy about it ticks the box for "brake trouble" while in fact it's the operating environment and the operator, not the vehicle, that's responsible.

Their chief test engineer, David Champion, is a Real Car Guy, unlike his predecessor. Although they still are not the first choice for information on sports cars and etc. But if I were looking for a late model car, I'd definitely consult CR.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM

3,142 posts, read 7,148,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
They are valid and objective, although the survey form is sort of simplistic (did you have trouble with the following systems, yes or no...electrical, brakes, engine, etc.) Some nimble nut living in San Fran who wears out a set of brake pads in say 15 to 20K miles and ain't happy about it ticks the box for "brake trouble" while in fact it's the operating environment and the operator, not the vehicle, that's responsible.
I agree... However I think their sample sizes for the statistics are big enough to drown out these unwarranted claims.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM

13,445 posts, read 29,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I have seen some things in CR that didn't seem quite right. For example, they may show engine problems for a '04 Taurus, and then they show no problems for a '05 Taurus, even though both models use the exact same engine.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,159,462 times
I am very appreciative of the responses I have received so far. Keep 'em coming!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,799,501 times
No. As someone in the automotive industry, I find them to be quite biased, and not really a good guide for much of anything.

And before you say it's because they disparage the brand I work for, they don't. I think all of our models have a "recommended" tag by CR.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM

897 posts, read 2,520,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No. As someone in the automotive industry, I find them to be quite biased, and not really a good guide for much of anything.

And before you say it's because they disparage the brand I work for, they don't. I think all of our models have a "recommended" tag by CR.
Have to disagree with you completely. Have used CR when purchasing our autos (many, many years) and have always been pleased with them. I find they are accurate. Many friends, family and co-workers follow their picks as well.

... one of the few times I did not rely on CR was a Dyson vacuum cleaner puchase - big mistake. I had to have one. I sure wished I would have followed their recommendation.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,925,500 times
I think their long term re;iablity is not accurate as they do no long term tests;and a guess is much good. They have prtetty good test but you often will find thast you disagree on something. In the end their test on cars are like any other.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,947,106 times
They are a good source to consider but must be taken with a grain of salt. Different cars are bought by different kinds of people with different expectations, different driving habits, etc, partly along the lines of what Mitch M3 said. These different consumers will judge the cars accordingly. Further, some brands will be more appeasing to the customer; i.e. Mercedes will warranty just about anything to keep their customer happy where, with the same complaint, Ford or Nissan or Toyota might tell their customer sorry, that's not covered. That gives MB a warranty claim and a black mark, while the other three have no warranty record to report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive