U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM

2,217 posts, read 363,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Not half price but automakers like Kia and Hyndai are able to offer cheaper prices. Some of these countries don't give our products these types of considerations.
Right - our products going into their countries are not accepted. But I don't think the Kias & Hyundais are coming in here tariff-free, are they?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,446,662 times
Quote:
Move out of Chicago and to the South and find out.
Can't you provide any facts to back up your statement?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,249,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Can't you provide any facts to back up your statement?
Do a google search on right to work state salaries vs. union shop states.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,446,662 times
Thumbs down Thats what I thought

Quote:
Yeah I'll do that, right after I clean the crisper bin of my refrigerator.

Don't make claims you can't substantiate.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,249,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Yeah I'll do that, right after I clean the crisper bin of my refrigerator.

Don't make claims you can't substantiate.
Here you go since you don't have google:
The Wage Penalty of Right-to-Work Laws

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM

786 posts, read 1,503,946 times
Good luck to them. Losing GM,Ford, or Chrysler would be a big blow to this country economically and symbolically. I don't agree with all they've done,but I think this bailout is worth it.

I'm glad the UAW has been reigned in also. I'm not neccessarily anti-union,but the UAW was out of control IMO.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

140 posts, read 491,693 times
Alot of people are saying let them fail let them file chapter 11 and restructure.
Ok let me ask if that happened would you buy a car from a company that filed chapter 11 bankruptcy? By any one of the three doing this it would most likely make it had to get factory parts for the cars/trucks because the suppliers would want to get paid and may not. That would also effect the warranty on the vehicle.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 AM

9,813 posts, read 8,398,671 times
Quote:
Yet many people are fleeing these states for the south with absolutely no desire to move back? Crazy, isn't it?

I've lived in the south and traveled the south on business. It ain't all Tobacco Road.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:12 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,578,971 times
Many Hyundai and Kia cars are built here in America. For some countries, American imports are heavily tariffed to artificially raise their prices to protect their own country's products. If this bailout deal breaks the UAW then the people that it will hurt the most is organized crime. Do any of you remember the last time an auto company was bailed out? It was Chrysler and they paid back the bailout in full. It isn't just American car companies that are suffering sales losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive