Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times

Advertisements

Couldn't agree more, sunsprit. I do hold out that not everything that can be done actually has already been done, though. Any energy conversion process has inefficiencies that leave the door open for improvements through reduction of waste. Is this a legitimate one? Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Apparently this topic already has a thread that didn't take off, though.

Simple device can boost fuel efficiency

It was started based on this article.

Simple device which uses electrical field could boost gas efficiency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
I would think that if some small, rather inexpensive device such as this actually worked - and improved economy by 2-3 mpg - every vehicle manufacturer would install them on their new vehicles before they left the factory. $25.00 per car, to be able to boast better fuel economy, would be well worth it.

I remember back when you were supposed to be able to get 5 mpg better economy by taping a couple cow magnets on either side of your gas line, between the pump and the carb. Somehow I never bought that idea either.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I would think that if some small, rather inexpensive device such as this actually worked - and improved economy by 2-3 mpg - every vehicle manufacturer would install them on their new vehicles before they left the factory. $25.00 per car, to be able to boast better fuel economy, would be well worth it.

<snip>
That's what I keep thinking. However, I know that prior to this year the big three automakers weren't spending much of their own money on efficiency research; especially on retrofitting existing engine technology. There was some grant money spent, and actual high milage prototypes presented during Clinton's tenure. All of it was dropped during Bush's presidency, though. But now, with all the focus on Detroit, such a gadget might gain some traction with manufacturers. It would have to be proven to work, though.

If the claims can be substantiated, this little company could be a rewarding investment as the technology is licensed. Perhaps that is the angle of a new twist on an old scam, because there wasn't anything about getting consumers to pick up on the product. They also had other products, which were designed to reduce polution. The science was a bit lacking in the explanation of those as well.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM

371 posts, read 937,999 times
Save your money and use it for a tune up...That will save a few % points on gas!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:25 PM

I don't have a problem with gas mileage anyway. I drive a Prius. Not much you can do to improve its mileage.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
I don't have a problem with gas mileage anyway. I drive a Prius. Not much you can do to improve its mileage.
Sure there is. Just wedge this thingy under the gas pedal:
Simple device which uses electrical field could boost gas efficiency

Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Sure there is. Just wedge this thingy under the gas pedal:
Then I'd be going all electric with a range of around 3 miles. You see, the internal combustion engine doesn't come on unless you give it some pedal.

Just kidding. I'll just leave that thingy wedged where it is.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Still a waste of money, if you have to buy it first, and then shove it *under* your gas pedal.

Even easier, but a heck of a lot cheaper ....

Raid your fridge and get a raw egg.
Put that egg, between your gas pedal and your foot.
Now drive without braking that egg.

Guaranteed to save gas.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Can't believe I find myself agreeing with usafracer. Think I'll just run a wire from the battery into my fuel tank....won't even have to buy anymore gas!
This reminds me of the screen you put under your carb to "atomize" the fuel. Or the amazing oil that lets you run without a plug in your pan. Saw that demonstrated once, smart aleck mechanic we had waited until the salesman looked away, grabbed the idle control on the demo engine(a Vega to boot!) and full throttled it! Guy packed up his demo and the $20 quarts of "additive" and left.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Can't believe I find myself agreeing with usafracer. Think I'll just run a wire from the battery into my fuel tank....won't even have to buy anymore gas!
This reminds me of the screen you put under your carb to "atomize" the fuel. Or the amazing oil that lets you run without a plug in your pan. Saw that demonstrated once, smart aleck mechanic we had waited until the salesman looked away, grabbed the idle control on the demo engine(a Vega to boot!) and full throttled it! Guy packed up his demo and the $20 quarts of "additive" and left.
The oil pan? Why would you even want to drive without a plug in your oil pan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive