U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM

3,855 posts, read 11,776,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Then there's the flip side to the complaints in this thread...

A few weeks ago, I was driving in to jury duty on a Monday morning. I was in the left lane, going 5mph over the posted speed limit. The right lane was full of slower traffic which I was trying to get past (eventually) but in front of me about four car lengths was another vehicle so I could not exit the left lane, nor fully pass the people in the right lane.

A man in a large pickup truck suddenly zoomed up behind me and flashed his brights. He was extremely close, but I had nowhere to go as I was now completely boxed in. I guess he decided I was being an arse and he sped up enough to tap me on my bumper, and then immediately swung over onto the lefthand shoulder and grass median, and passed me on my left (and I'm occupying the far left lane).

Then he swerved sharply in front of me, clipping the driver's corner of my front bumper with his rear bumper, and then deliberately locked up his brakes. From tap to brakes it had to be no more than ten seconds.

Yep, I hit him full in the rear. As soon as that happened, he hit the gas and jetted off around the cars in front of me, again on the lefthand shoulder. I've got about $1500 damage to the front of my truck, and another $400 from the tap to the rear. He didn't have a license on the back of his vehicle, and none that I could see anywhere else so all I had to give to the highway patrol was a color and type of vehicle. Nobody who witnessed the road rage attack stopped to offer to be a witness.

Not everyone who is in the left lane is there to block your way.
That's terrible! OMG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,049,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
That's terrible! OMG!
Imagine MY surprise. After the rear tap I thought for a micro instant about stopping but instantly discounted that idea because I had no idea what the crazy man was up to. *shrug* In retrospect if I'd known that he was going to slam to a stop in front of me, I would have hit the skids as soon as he pulled out next to me. But oh well. We live and we learn. At least it was my 13 year old paid-off pickup and not a nicer new car. I gotta look at it that way or I'll just be mad about it.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,325,352 times
There is a good chance that driver is on that same patch of highway each day at that time of day.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,049,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
There is a good chance that driver is on that same patch of highway each day at that time of day.
Oh, I've been watching when I've been on that road. But I was going to jury duty, so it wasn't the "normal" time of day for me to be there.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM

3,855 posts, read 11,776,723 times
Quote:
Imagine MY surprise. After the rear tap I thought for a micro instant about stopping but instantly discounted that idea because I had no idea what the crazy man was up to. *shrug* In retrospect if I'd known that he was going to slam to a stop in front of me, I would have hit the skids as soon as he pulled out next to me. But oh well. We live and we learn. At least it was my 13 year old paid-off pickup and not a nicer new car. I gotta look at it that way or I'll just be mad about it.
If I'm ever in a position where I'm trapped by a poky driver and some joker come flying up on my bumper I drift to the right a touch so they can plainly see that I'm trapped and can do nothing about it. A logical human being will see this and say, "oh ok...I'll just have to wait for it to clear". But that guy must have been on meth or something. Who in their right minds would put the bumper to you on purpose??? You want to do that on a dirt track? Fine. But on the highway? Stupid.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,323,686 times
Richard Petty did that once - it was in the news.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,323,686 times
Quote:
Then there's the flip side to the complaints in this thread...

A few weeks ago, I was driving in to jury duty on a Monday morning. I was in the left lane, going 5mph over the posted speed limit. The right lane was full of slower traffic which I was trying to get past (eventually) but in front of me about four car lengths was another vehicle so I could not exit the left lane, nor fully pass the people in the right lane.

A man in a large pickup truck suddenly zoomed up behind me and flashed his brights. He was extremely close, but I had nowhere to go as I was now completely boxed in. I guess he decided I was being an arse and he sped up enough to tap me on my bumper, and then immediately swung over onto the lefthand shoulder and grass median, and passed me on my left (and I'm occupying the far left lane).

Then he swerved sharply in front of me, clipping the driver's corner of my front bumper with his rear bumper, and then deliberately locked up his brakes. From tap to brakes it had to be no more than ten seconds.

Yep, I hit him full in the rear. As soon as that happened, he hit the gas and jetted off around the cars in front of me, again on the lefthand shoulder. I've got about $1500 damage to the front of my truck, and another $400 from the tap to the rear. He didn't have a license on the back of his vehicle, and none that I could see anywhere else so all I had to give to the highway patrol was a color and type of vehicle. Nobody who witnessed the road rage attack stopped to offer to be a witness.

Not everyone who is in the left lane is there to block your way.
I don't know that I'd call this the flip side to the argument, more like a case of road rage. I had a guy in a pickup throw a cup of soda at my car once - the guy was just crazy. The flip side is the people who believe the left lane is safer (99% of the time it is not) or who believe that it is their duty to regulate traffic speeds. I haven't seen anyone post that here yet.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,630,292 times
I don't believe in traffic control by breing in the left lane to control speeds but I do believe in going no more than the limit! In the midwest going the limit and left lane to pass slower traffic~ in Az I definitely stay in the right lane~ traffic in the left lane always WELL above the limit and sometimes faster! Driving through the middle of town out here is insane!~ 65 mph limit and normally traffic is flowing at over 85~ and idiots complain traffic is too slow~ should have limit over 100!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:59 PM

349 posts, read 790,986 times
!!!revo evom

i think in order to be in the left lane you should be going at least 5 over the speed limit.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,772,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Back when I had beliefs and attended a church. One of the members was directing a song, he ended by suggesting the members go out and drive 10 miles under the limit to teach others patience.
.......and he will burn in hell for suggesting that. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive