U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,174,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, if I may stand in defense of the left lane drivers......

Personally, I HATE driving in the right lane because of all the merging that goes on there. It is very dangerous to try to judge the speed of merging vehicles to make sure that they can get in either before or after you without having to adjust your speed dramatically. Because of this, in congested areas I often drive in the left lane.

I figure that there is a speed limit for a reason and that if I am going the speed limit there should be no good reason why anyone would want to pass me. Of course there are countless morons in the world (bajillions of them) who think that the speed limit is just a suggestion, and not a very good one. If they are inconvenienced by my driving in the left lane, so be it. They are breaking the law anyway, so what difference does it make if they are happy or not. If people would OBEY THE LAW they wouldn't be upset about my driving in the "passing" lane.

20yrsinBranson
It doesn't matter if you hate drivig in the right hand lane, cruising in the left hand lane is a violation of the law just as much as speeding is. And if you are impeding other cars, that's a violation of the law as well.

Get off your high horse and get over in the right hand lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,678,118 times
It's not illegal where I live. Local police encourage drivers to use 911 to report dangerous drivers. Better to pull them over and save somebody's life than scrape them off the road later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Since you are so big on obeying the law, cruising in the left hand lane is illegal, as is calling 911 or using your horn in the above-described situation.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,311,313 times
I think some people are getting mired in semantics and not seeing the big picture here. The point is to be safe on the road, and that's a value decision each individual has to make. Not everyone is a good driver, has a capable car, etc. By blocking traffic, left lane drivers create a risky situation - fast traffic having to slow, or failing, which can cause accidents and close proximity traffic. By failing to move over, faster traffic starts tailgating and passing on the right, often cutting off legitimate slow traffic in the right lane. Sure, one driver trying to "teach" others to drive slow thinks they are doing some good deed, but they are causing major danger behind them.

If you really want to be safe on the road, stay in the safe lanes - the right most ones - and let "unsafe" speeders be on their way. If you really think they are so dangerous, do you really want them tailgating you? That's like standing between a lion and a piece of fresh meat because you think meat isn't good for the lion's diet. Bad things can happen, and all over what? In the end, the lion eating some meat isn't going to cause you to get fat, preventing that might get you mauled. Same goes for traffic - just because someone else speeds doesn't mean you get a ticket.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,174,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It's not illegal where I live. Local police encourage drivers to use 911 to report dangerous drivers. Better to pull them over and save somebody's life than scrape them off the road later.

I can almost guarantee they do not mean speeding drivers, but people who are actually doing something dangerous, like weaving, tailgating, or overly aggressive driving.

Even if they do mean that, you are still violating two other laws to the speeders one.

Get off your high horse and just get out of the way.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM

349 posts, read 790,524 times
i wish i could go back to kuwait. all you have to do to get them to move over is flash your brights.

the other night we had someone come up behind us fast flashing there brights and i know what that means so i let her pass. then i got back over and followed her up to the next person who wasn't budging. what if she were in labor?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Big rigs getting in the left lane and not being at the speed limit is a hassel. They even do this when going up two lane bridges that have truck right lane on'y signs. Big trucks are a hazards on today road as so many seem to careless about other drivers.They are famou8s for tailgating.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 PM

4,257 posts, read 7,143,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
i wish i could go back to kuwait. all you have to do to get them to move over is flash your brights.

the other night we had someone come up behind us fast flashing there brights and i know what that means so i let her pass. then i got back over and followed her up to the next person who wasn't budging. what if she were in labor?
Americans are sadly unaware, undisciplined, and often discourteous drivers.

I liked German drivers. They are usually all business, fast, capable, aware, and they know the rules of the road.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 AM

2,042 posts, read 3,626,969 times
Quote:
Speed limits have very little to do with public safety and quite a lot to do with collecting revenue.

The one thing that just grates on me is idiots who won't drive at least the speed limit, or just at it. I'm a speeder, and I am fine with it. If it's a 60, I am usually doing 70 or 75. But if the guy in front of me is doing 60 in the left hand lane, or 58, it drives me insane. If they are doing 65 or so, it's cool. I can wait until I get a chance to pass. But I drive on a lot of one-lane roads, and it's astonishing the amount of people who think that the 55 limit really means 45.

Basically, people who don't get the hell out the way should be summarily executed.
And I feel that police sharpshooters should be posted on overpasses and shoot all the lawbreakers who speed! Lawbreakers are lawbreakers and should be minnimally barred from ever driving again~ shooting would be better! All Crime would drop by a minimum of 1/2 after one week of this type of enforcement!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 AM

630 posts, read 1,033,958 times
Quote:
Since you are so big on obeying the law, cruising in the left hand lane is illegal, as is calling 911 or using your horn in the above-described situation.

actually calling 911 is not illegal. The dispatcher will ask you if it is an emergency or not and you have that choice. 911 is great for reporting dangerous drivers. I reported a drunk driver once by no means is that illegal. That is what it is there for.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,311,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
actually calling 911 is not illegal. The dispatcher will ask you if it is an emergency or not and you have that choice. 911 is great for reporting dangerous drivers. I reported a drunk driver once by no means is that illegal. That is what it is there for.
Yes, many uses are all tied to 911 now - you even call for noise complaints anymore because 911 is a lot easier to remember than the local police station and is tied into dispatch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive