U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,774,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yes, many uses are all tied to 911 now - you even call for noise complaints anymore because 911 is a lot easier to remember than the local police station and is tied into dispatch.
A while back when my car was broken into I pulled out the phone book to look up the local police department. It wasn't an emergency by any means. It sucked but I wasn't dieing or anything like that. The lady that answered the phone said I needed to hang up and call 911. I said, "Ma'am....are you serious????" She said, "Yeah go ahead...it's ok". So I call 911 and actually had to hold for about 30 seconds. What if I WAS dieing???? It's stupid to use an emergency service line for anything other than an emergency!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 AM

5,010 posts, read 13,183,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
actually calling 911 is not illegal. The dispatcher will ask you if it is an emergency or not and you have that choice. 911 is great for reporting dangerous drivers. I reported a drunk driver once by no means is that illegal. That is what it is there for.

Tying up an emergency line for a non-emergency call is a citeable offense.

A drunk driver is an emergency because he is impaired and represents a danger to himself and everyone around him. Some guy doing 70 in a 65 isn't an emergency.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,321,085 times
Well, according to some people here it is...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,358,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Big rigs getting in the left lane and not being at the speed limit is a hassel. They even do this when going up two lane bridges that have "Truck use right lane only" signs. Big trucks are a hazards on today road as so many seem to careless about other drivers.They are famous for tailgating.
I spend many pleasant hours at the wheel of my big truck wishing that there really is such a thing as reincarnation so that people who believe what you do should come back as truckers driving for a large fleet that puts you in an underpowered truck and pays you by the (discounted) mile. You should have to live with the restrictions that actually make our roads less safe. You should have to deal with the LARGE percentage of car drivers whose only Driver Education came from reading the safety messages on the backs of truck trailers. You should have to see what trying to stop your unloaded rig on a wet road is like because some idiot in a car raced ahead of you then slammed on the brakes to turn right at the next corner. And I hope you are able to see the clown who passes you on the right because you moved to the LEFT lane to give the guy changing his tire on the shoulder an extra margin of safety.

I'm sure hundreds of trucks pass you every day safely. And you only notice the few who act like four wheelers in their trucks...

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
Quote:
Unless you have a badge number, you have zero business enforcing laws like speed limits. You can report a crime, but being a vigilante is frowned upon. Disregarding others' rights to do as they wish, be it legal or not, is not right, even if you don't agree with it. If you want to impede traffic and anger others, don't be surprised when they make obscene gestures and cut you off, or worse, rear end you and push you off the road, as is increasingly happening.
On the contrary, if you knowingly allow the commission of a crime you are an accomplice. It would be nice if we could contact the authorities about speeders (which by the way are responsible for more traffic fatalities than are drunk drivers), but they do not have the manpower to enforce the speed limit everywhere, all the time. I am not a vigilante. I am simply exercising my RIGHT to obey the law. I'm terribly sorry that people feel they have the privilege of getting ticked off because I am doing what is RIGHT, but I figure, people like that eventually have their Karma catch up with them in the form of speeding tickets, traffic accidents and increased insurance premiums. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
On the contrary, if you knowingly allow the commission of a crime you are an accomplice. It would be nice if we could contact the authorities about speeders (which by the way are responsible for more traffic fatalities than are drunk drivers), but they do not have the manpower to enforce the speed limit everywhere, all the time. I am not a vigilante. I am simply exercising my RIGHT to obey the law. I'm terribly sorry that people feel they have the privilege of getting ticked off because I am doing what is RIGHT, but I figure, people like that eventually have their Karma catch up with them in the form of speeding tickets, traffic accidents and increased insurance premiums. LOL

20yrsinBranson

And by your own admission, what you do during the course of your vigilantism is a crime as well. You are prohibited by law from using the left lane for anything other than passing. If you were so concerned with doing what is right, you'd stay right. Yay for selective reasoning.

As I said earlier, get off your high horse and quit pretending you are doing anything noble or helping the cops. You're being an obstruction and hindering traffic. If you want to do something helpful, stay home.

By the way, speeding doesn't cause more fatalities than drunk driving. Speeding while drunk, or street racing, or weaving in and out of traffic, that causes accidents and fatalities.

I've never seen a headline that read "Man driving 75 in a 65 in his own lane without being aggressive on a clear day with minimal traffic dies in fatal accident".

Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM

630 posts, read 1,035,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Tying up an emergency line for a non-emergency call is a citeable offense.

A drunk driver is an emergency because he is impaired and represents a danger to himself and everyone around him. Some guy doing 70 in a 65 isn't an emergency.
You are not tying up an emergency line until they transfer you to the emergency line. You use the non-emergency line to report crimes. please read more carefully next time.

thanks

Last edited by okie333; 12-11-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You are not tying up an emergency line until they transfer you to the emergency line. You use the non-emergency line to report crimes. please read more carefully next time.

thanks

Here is what you said -

Quote:
actually calling 911 is not illegal. The dispatcher will ask you if it is an emergency or not and you have that choice. 911 is great for reporting dangerous drivers. I reported a drunk driver once by no means is that illegal. That is what it is there for.

911 IS the emergency line. While you are wasting that dispatchers time with a speeding report, someone else might be on hold while they bleed to death.

What's the non-emergency 911, 911 then press #?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,321,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
speeders (which by the way are responsible for more traffic fatalities than are drunk drivers)
Ha, okay, please show me that statistic and where you got it, besides just dreaming it up.

Quote:
I am not a vigilante. I am simply exercising my RIGHT to obey the law.
Your right to obey a law is not = to limiting others ability to disobey a law. When you take the law into your own hands, you are being a vigilante. You can continue to think you are doing some noble deed, but in the end you could end up in trouble, even from a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for cruising in the left lane.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
Quote:
Ha, okay, please show me that statistic and where you got it, besides just dreaming it up.

Your right to obey a law is not = to limiting others ability to disobey a law. When you take the law into your own hands, you are being a vigilante. You can continue to think you are doing some noble deed, but in the end you could end up in trouble, even from a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for cruising in the left lane.

Statistics 2007

Speeding related fatalities: 55928

Alcohol related fatalities: 49437

Provided by FARS Encyclopedia

Note these numbers are not mutually exclusive since there might be overlapping factors (i.e. drunk people driving fast or fast drivers who are drunk). LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive