U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 PM

630 posts, read 1,036,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Having dialed 911, I concur - in fact, calling the local police will just get you instructed to dial 911.
Like i said if you call 911 you have a choice to make it an emergency call or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,192,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
have you ever dialed 911 before? I have no idea where you live but if you call, dispatch gives you a choice to make it an emergency or not.

Yeah, for real emergencies. They have no choice for an emergency or non-emergency call, and they always answer with "What's your emergency?"

It goes direct to an emergency operator and you better have a by-God emergency.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
2621 reported at 55 MPH.

I stand less chance of being in a crash at 70 or 75 than at 55.
so im curious on your views, you feel you could avoid a deer or animal better at 75 than 55. Do you also feel you could avoid flipping your vehicle at 75 versus 55 in the event of a tire blowout. Just curious on your reasoning?

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with going that fast but to say you could be better off in the event of an accident at higher speeds than lower speeds is very ignorant thinking.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
so im curious on your views, you feel you could avoid a deer or animal better at 75 than 55. Do you also feel you could avoid flipping your vehicle at 75 versus 55 in the event of a tire blowout. Just curious on your reasoning?

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with going that fast but to say you could be better off in the event of an accident at higher speeds than lower speeds is very ignorant thinking.

I was making a comment based on the data about deaths relative to vehicular speed. When you have 500 fatalities at 75 and 2600 at 55, it would appear there is less chance of dying at 75.

At either 55 or 75 or 100, if something suddenly appears, you are screwed no matter what.

We can play the what-if game all night. What if aliens suddenly land in the middle of the freeway? At what speed are you best suited to avoiding abduction?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,329,119 times
Quote:
For a vehicle with a trailor, the speed limit is usually 55mph.

Even more reason to be in the right lane!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,036,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
On the contrary, if you knowingly allow the commission of a crime you are an accomplice. It would be nice if we could contact the authorities about speeders (which by the way are responsible for more traffic fatalities than are drunk drivers), but they do not have the manpower to enforce the speed limit everywhere, all the time. I am not a vigilante. I am simply exercising my RIGHT to obey the law. I'm terribly sorry that people feel they have the privilege of getting ticked off because I am doing what is RIGHT, but I figure, people like that eventually have their Karma catch up with them in the form of speeding tickets, traffic accidents and increased insurance premiums. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Question is how do feel about having cars constantly pass you. Are you ok with say 15 cars per minute manuvering around you and negociating with other cars to the right, coming up behind you, checking their mirrors, cutting over, then checking mirrors again and cutting back. There are good 3 times eyes are taken off the road while they are right behind, next to, or infront of you.

A safe driver would know to move out of the way and limit the encounters he creates with each vehicle. A driver with a chip or ego will stay and block the way of others.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post

We can play the what-if game all night. What if aliens suddenly land in the middle of the freeway? At what speed are you best suited to avoiding abduction?
lol ya because a deer jutting out in front of you and a tire blowout is sooo uncommon...

You think:

*calling 911 to report a wreckless driver is illegal
*a blowout is about as common as an alien obduction
*driving 10 mph under the speed limit is illegal
*but 10 mph over the speed limit is ok

I see your a car-salesman so making people believe you is your job, but don't expect others to believe everything you say.

but im not here to stop you, do what you want man, its your life.

Last edited by okie333; 12-11-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
lol ya because a deer jutting out in front of you and a tire blowout is sooo uncommon...

You think:

*calling 911 to report a wreckless driver is illegal
*a blowout is about as common as an alien obduction
*driving 10 mph under the speed limit is illegal
*but 10 mph over the speed limit is ok

I see your a car-salesman so making people believe you is your job, but don't expect others to believe this crap.

but im not here to stop you, do what you want man, its your life.
I specifically said that calling 911 to report a RECKLESS driver is an emergency. But reckless doesn't mean speeding, it means weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, passing on the shoulder, etc.

In over a decade and over 250,000 miles of driving, I've never had a blowout. I'm sure it will happen at some point, but when you use the proper tires, it's not at the top of my list, no.

I never said driving 10 MPH under the speed limit is illegal, just obnoxious and stupid. I said cruising in the left hand lane is illegal.

And yes, I am perfectly fine with going 10 over. I never said it was legal, either.

For someone questioning my reading comprehension a few posts ago, you certainly seem to have your own issues.

And my job? Seriously? That's your best shot? I sell cars, so it's part of my job to make people drive faster?

Like I said, you have your own issues.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM

15,849 posts, read 30,401,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Question is how do feel about having cars constantly pass you. Are you ok with say 15 cars per minute manuvering around you and negociating with other cars to the right, coming up behind you, checking their mirrors, cutting over, then checking mirrors again and cutting back. There are good 3 times eyes are taken off the road while they are right behind, next to, or infront of you.

A safe driver would know to move out of the way and limit the encounters he creates with each vehicle. A driver with a chip or ego will stay and block the way of others.
Good point you make. I there is A LOT of traffic that is going insanely faster than am I, just to avoid the hassels, I will scoot over and let the entourage pass me. (usually between merging streets).

It is generally a moot point anyway because I never, ever (well almost never) drive on interstates and rarely on four-lane highways. In fact, in recent memory ALL of the freeways I have driven on have been SIX LANE do I just hung out comfortably in the center lane, thus making everyone happy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM

140 posts, read 779,622 times
In the state of Pennsylvania it is illegal to "cruze" in the left lane of a limited access hwy. The left lane is for passing the slower traffic in the right lane.
I usually travel 5-10 above the speed limit when weather is good and traffic is light.
I stay in the right lane until I need to pass a slower car. When I'm in the left lane passing a slower car and I'm doing above the speed limit Do Not come up behind me and tailgate me ,I hate that! I get back into the right lane after I pass the slower car.
And what is with these people passing on the right or left shoulder this is very dangerous to to all that are around the one passing on the shoulder and illegal.
The only time I use the shoulder is to get to an accident scene (emergency responder) and I have my stobes activated and am driving well below the posted speed.
If everyone would use the left lane for what it was designed for (passing slower moving traffic) traffic would flow much better and less accidents would occur and insurance rates would be lower.
Everyone have a save and less traffic weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive