Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

No, the flip side are the people who think the posted speed limit is a suggestion rather than a law and simply try to drive at speeds "they" feel is appropriate for themselves and their vehicle and to hell with everyone around them. It's not the people obeying the speed limit that are endangering others on the road. It's the ones disobeying the law who are endangering the lives of others on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Speed limits have very little to do with public safety and quite a lot to do with collecting revenue.

The one thing that just grates on me is idiots who won't drive at least the speed limit, or just at it. I'm a speeder, and I am fine with it. If it's a 60, I am usually doing 70 or 75. But if the guy in front of me is doing 60 in the left hand lane, or 58, it drives me insane. If they are doing 65 or so, it's cool. I can wait until I get a chance to pass. But I drive on a lot of one-lane roads, and it's astonishing the amount of people who think that the 55 limit really means 45.

Basically, people who don't get the hell out the way should be summarily executed.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

The one who is obeying the law isn't endangering lives, it's you.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Slow people on the left wins my Top Pet Peeve of the Century award. I experience this daily, both ways of my commute. I won't post any longer than this because I might not be able to control what I write. Enuff said.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM

I'll agree that if a person is doing 60 in the lefthand lane and the posted speed limit is 70 mph then yes that person needs to either speed up or move to the righthand lane. However, that person would still not be at fault if a speed demon like yourself hits the car from behind and causes a crash. You would be the one cited for speeding and reckless driving. If you were driving the proper speed limit and obeying the law you would have had time to brake and adjust your speed until you could pass the slow driver. You can argue it with me here, you can argue it with the cops, and you can argue it with the judge but you'll still be wrong.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'll agree that if a person is doing 60 in the lefthand lane and the posted speed limit is 70 mph then yes that person needs to either speed up or move to the righthand lane. However, that person would still not be at fault if a speed demon like yourself hits the car from behind and causes a crash. You would be the one cited for speeding and reckless driving. If you were driving the proper speed limit and obeying the law you would have had time to brake and adjust your speed until you could pass the slow driver. You can argue it with me here, you can argue it with the cops, and you can argue it with the judge but you'll still be wrong.

If the person is doing 60 and everyone else is doing 70, as is normal, then that person doing 60 is more dangerous.

And how did we go from speeding a bit to fiery crashes? I've never rear ended anyone from going too fast, or had any type of accident due to excessive speed.

I didn't say run them off the road, I said they are idiots and they **** me off. And everyone else on the road.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Here is what you said;
Basically, people who don't get the hell out the way should be summarily executed.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm reposting this as an example of what a speeding road rager can do. What happened below could have resulted in a firey crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Then there's the flip side to the complaints in this thread...

A few weeks ago, I was driving in to jury duty on a Monday morning. I was in the left lane, going 5mph over the posted speed limit. The right lane was full of slower traffic which I was trying to get past (eventually) but in front of me about four car lengths was another vehicle so I could not exit the left lane, nor fully pass the people in the right lane.

A man in a large pickup truck suddenly zoomed up behind me and flashed his brights. He was extremely close, but I had nowhere to go as I was now completely boxed in. I guess he decided I was being an arse and he sped up enough to tap me on my bumper, and then immediately swung over onto the lefthand shoulder and grass median, and passed me on my left (and I'm occupying the far left lane).

Then he swerved sharply in front of me, clipping the driver's corner of my front bumper with his rear bumper, and then deliberately locked up his brakes. From tap to brakes it had to be no more than ten seconds.

Yep, I hit him full in the rear. As soon as that happened, he hit the gas and jetted off around the cars in front of me, again on the lefthand shoulder. I've got about $1500 damage to the front of my truck, and another $400 from the tap to the rear. He didn't have a license on the back of his vehicle, and none that I could see anywhere else so all I had to give to the highway patrol was a color and type of vehicle. Nobody who witnessed the road rage attack stopped to offer to be a witness.

Not everyone who is in the left lane is there to block your way.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
I despise left lane bandits

Would hope more become victims of road rage and violence....it would only improve society's gene pool and save lives of other motorists taking risks and wasting time in trying to change lanes to get around these clueless drivers

Am a brisk driver, but greatly value my safety...almost never stay in left lane unless need to and avoid situations where a car is following me too closely (I drive performance cars that have powerful brakes that likely entail me getting rear-ended in any sudden deceleration)

I prefer faster drivers zoom by me in left lane, both b/c it's basic courtesy to others...and they offer me a "free" radar detector as I pace them from some distant following distance....common sense is that one's risk of speeding tkts (and road rage) is higher if cruising unnecessarily in left lane

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Here is what you said;
I am partial to burning at the stake, but I could be talked into drawing and quartering as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive