Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it trashy to keep cars parked outside and not in the garage?
Yes 100 26.39%
No 279 73.61%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

" If it were my house..."

You already said it was the other guy's house.
And that you have a house where you can park your cars inside to your heart's content. Enjoy!

It ain't like they're cookin' meth.
Live and let live...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
" If it were my house..."

You already said it was the other guy's house.
And that you have a house where you can park your cars inside to your heart's content. Enjoy!

It ain't like they're cookin' meth.Live and let live...
Wait....

You might be on to something here....maybe thats WHY all those cars are parked in the driveway...

Hmmmm

Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

98 posts, read 637,285 times
so long as they have wheels they should be ok - its only thrashy when they are on blocks and the engine is lying on the lawn

Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wait....

You might be on to something here....maybe thats WHY all those cars are parked in the driveway...

Hmmmm
BD,

Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
One thing that bugged me when we lived in NC previously is the amount of people that leave cars on their driveway on a permanent basis. (Because their garage is filled with other junk.) Now we're moving back to NC and seeing it again.

To me, this is very trashy and I don't like it. I prefer to have a "clean" neighborhood.

Funny thing is I see this in all kinds of neighborhoods. We looked at a place with $300-$500K houses and I was concerned about a house we liked because the other 4 houses on the cul-de-sac had 1-3 cars parked in the driveway at 10pm at night. (All of them...so about 8 cars outside in total.)

Am I just being overly anal-retentive on this one? I recognize most houses in NC don't have basements but buy a shed or put your crap in the attic - not the garage. My wife thinks I should not rule out buying this house we like because the neighbors seem to like keeping cars outside.

Thoughts?
If they were on the lawn, or up on blocks, I would be upset, but not if they are in the driveway.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
To me, this is very trashy and I don't like it. I prefer to have a "clean" neighborhood.

Am I just being overly anal-retentive on this one? I recognize most houses in NC don't have basements but buy a shed or put your crap in the attic - not the garage. My wife thinks I should not rule out buying this house we like because the neighbors seem to like keeping cars outside.

Thoughts?
Yup, you are being very anal-retentive. Not only do you want control over what happens at your house but expect your rules to apply to everybody else. If they don't do as you like, then you apply a negative label to them.

Has a way of making very bad neighborhoods to live in. Picky - picky and it all to a standard of somebody else rules that are not universally accepted.

Most people want the freedom to do whatever is legal where they live.

Next you will want to inspect the neighbors sheds for dust. I bet you don't want to obey anybody else's rules on anything. Usually how it works.

Now if they are cooking Meth in the shed out back that IS a different issue. Got to lighten up.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
[quote=cncsmomndad;415867][quote=bluedevilz;415840]I have lived alot of places and I have yet to see a Stepford neighborhood ANYWHERE where everyone parks in the garage.
Quote:

There was a community outside Sacramento called Gold River that had an HOA so strict the community police would cite you for parking in your driveway or even leaving your garage door open too long. No kidding. And if you think all the houses in some neighborhoods look alike out here, one section of this neighborhood had identical houses in the identical shade of medium **** brown lined up street after street.
We have a community near my house, that you can only have your car in the driveway for 1 hour or less, then it must be in the garage with the door shut, car can never stay overnight in the driveway, they give large HOA fines. My friend tried to fight it, because he left his garage door open over night, by accident, and they fined him. He got a lawyer, and he lost, he had to pay his lawyer and his fine.
Lets try and solve other problems, don't sweat the small stuff, and that is very small.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,624 times
Unhappy Omg!!!

I do believe that if I, repeat, I paid for that driveway that is next to the house I bought, then it is MY business if I want to park MY car in MY driveway and not MY garage!! I think YOU would just love Santa Barbara since they have all kinds of rules about what you can't park in or around your property.

All I can say is anyone who doesn't want to see my little green Honda parked in my driveway - "Don't you be my neighbor!" (Refraised from Mr Rogers)

This is one reason I am moving from CA to NC cause you all have nicer people back there. So anyone who doesn't mind my car in my driveway, thank you! And back at ya! I will enjoy looking at your car in your driveway, and by the way if you have a party, I don't mind sharing my driveway (and no you don't have to invite either.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 PM

21 posts, read 47,356 times
Wink what's the difference

I can see if like the other posters said on this thread if your car is falling apart
or you have it up on blocks then you can get upset but if I park my 2001
jeep in my own driveway what's it anyone elses business you should care
more how I treat you when I see you then what my car is doing .
I bet half the people who really care about stuff like this are the same people
who don't even wash their hands after they go to the bathroom !

Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Default amen

couldn't agree more with you....I have a 2006 nice sedan...clean and kept really nice...I don't think anyone has the right to tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property...I respect my space and others...but don't tell me that I can't park my own car in my own driveway...that's messed up...to think what's going on in the world, worrying about a car in a driveway is just plain non-sense. I think parking on the street is really inconsiderate...but I am not going to say anything to anyone...it's so not worth it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive