Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times

Advertisements

Check the stater solenoid as mentioned before by a usafracer, then check the starter relay. The ignition switch is also worth looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default GM starters are famous for dead spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce03 View Post
1998 Olds 88 sometimes I go to start the car, nothing happens all lights work, radio comes on, headlights work, wipers work, interior lights do not dim when in start/run position, but the starter will not crank, no noise or clicking from it at all, and the security light come on then goes out in a few seconds. Changed battery and ignition switch, work OK for a day, then back to the same problem.
Suggestions:
What I do is tap the starter with a hammer and it usually does the trick. Dead spots in GM common.

I drop my starter at least every second fall and put in new brushes. They cost nothing. Check the wiring to make sure it's complete and something off the pavement hasn't banged it.

Look for oil or tranny fluid or anything fluid that could affect the ground of your starter.

I've never been down on the road, and have no intention of ever being in a land of possible -45. C. nights.

GM has dead spots; Ford usually has ground issues; just as an example.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Sounds like a battery cable or ground strap. Lights etc working means some contact with the battery but not enough amps to turn the starter. Loose or poor connection of the cables will do the same thing. Many time people change the battery but leave the old green coroded cables still on. Steve

Yep. Man hit nail on the head. Starter ground, battery cables, or engine ground strap.
Also, if it's passlock issue, security light will be flashing continuously.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
Default Any luck finding out what was wrong?

My 1997 GMC Jimmy has had the same issue...I've tried everything..the mechanic is stumped and my Jimmy either starts right off the bat or wont even turn over...just curious if you had any other suggestions? Ive replaced the starter as well and nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce03 View Post
Thanks for the recall infor. Let the car sit overnight in a parking lot, went to check it out somemore, did not do anything to it, started right up today, got it home tried it a dozen more times cranked each time? This makes 6 times in the last 2 months it has done this.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
There was a time many decades ago when GM starters had FOUR brushes and then they cut back to TWO brushes and the problems started (no pun intended).

Like the old saying "takes Two to Tango" while with the starter it would take FOUR brushes to make a good contact.

Going back in time I learned from my mechanic dad when to reverse the round collar after cleaning it up with a file...add NEW brushes and it would go many more miles before a redo was needed (mid 1950's).

Another thing that some do not think about is if the starter has any oil inside when HOT from engine HEAT transfer the car would not start until allowed to get COLD.....then she would fire right up.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
1998 olds ls wont start new starter good battery no crank

Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Check cables and connections for corrosion and tightness.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
I just replaced trans mount on my 2000 Pontiac Bonneville and it started and I parked it. I went back to drive is and it wouldn't crank. I was able to jump it with the main ignition switch wire but the lights or the wipers wouldn't work. What could this be I've tried everything that was suggested in this post.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Just for the fun of it ,
Just before you attempt to start the car, arm and disarm the alarm system .
My ford truck is finicky like that, if it has set more than a minuet or so, unlocked before trying to start it.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,842 times
I have fixed many of the cars with the bad GM pass key in the past. I have not encountered one in some time. From what I remember they will crank but not start and the "security" light blinks. I believe in these vehicles the computer cuts the spark to the engine when this happens. I would take a multi-meter to the wires going to the starter and see if power is getting to the starter and if the ground is good. If this is the case, the starter would be the culprit. If it is not, follow the wiring from the starter up and keep checking for power all of the way at different points. If the ground is no good, that is an obvious easy fix. If not getting power also check the wiring from the battery for corrosion inside the cables. On older vehicles especially it is common for corrosion to follow the wiring even inside the cables housing. Normally you would have to wiggle these cables around to get it to start which does not seem to be the case with what you have explained but it is still worth checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive