Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:08 AM

858 posts, read 3,035,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you want we can finish this in the morning. Do you have yahoo IM?
Yes ill DM you with it.. Thanks for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:10 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Yes ill DM you with it.. Thanks for all your help!!
No problem , talk to you tomorrow

Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 13,641 times
help we have a craftman garden tractor and cant keep it running replace spark plugs fuel line and filter what next

Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhl123 View Post
help we have a craftman garden tractor and cant keep it running replace spark plugs fuel line and filter what next
Check for water in the gas tank and carburetor. especially if it's been sitting outside and in the rain.

Water is heavier than gas so it will settle at the bottom. Disconnect the fuel line from the caburetor and let some of it run onto a hard surface. If there's water in the gas it will bead up.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 13,126 times
[FONT=Calibri]I have a twin cly B&S Vanguard engine on a skid loader doing the same thing ..
My fuel tank is located below the engine (approx 1 foot plus) with a small vacuum pump mounted horz of the carb.

Seems I have been having a lot of issues with my engine keeping it running under any loads..

I was wondering if I were to replace the vacuum pump with a small 1 to 4 psi electric pump if that would work out better .. This way it will pull fuel from the tank without starving the engine (if that's the problem)..

I gave this engine a tune up during the summer and seems it didn't help at all ..

Any thoughts?
[/FONT]

Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,092,426 times
You cant add an electric pump because the carb and the fuel pump are made to run together. Engine vacuum makes the pump work and the pick up tube going down into the tank has a small screen on the end that can get clogged or restricted. Also on many newer engines the gasoline must be fresh and clean. Even a few drops of water in the tank can cause the carb to stop working right.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAcoon View Post
I have a twin cly B&S Vanguard engine on a skid loader doing the same thing ..
My fuel tank is located below the engine (approx 1 foot plus) with a small vacuum pump mounted horz of the carb.

Seems I have been having a lot of issues with my engine keeping it running under any loads..

I was wondering if I were to replace the vacuum pump with a small 1 to 4 psi electric pump if that would work out better .. This way it will pull fuel from the tank without starving the engine (if that's the problem)..

I gave this engine a tune up during the summer and seems it didn't help at all ..

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure if electric pumps are availible for these. I don't see why they wouldn't be. If so, try that.

You said you only have this proble while under load?
That sounds more like a loss off compression.
Check to see if any of the valves are out of adjustment.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 12,284 times
what was the verdict on the 536.886540? I have the same blower and the same issues

holy thread revive... Sorry!!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'm not sure if electric pumps are availible for these. I don't see why they wouldn't be. If so, try that.

You said you only have this proble while under load?
That sounds more like a loss off compression.
Check to see if any of the valves are out of adjustment.
The vacuum pumps are a common item that breaks down. The repair is cheap and pretty easy if memory serves correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreakpb View Post
what was the verdict on the 536.886540? I have the same blower and the same issues

holy thread revive... Sorry!!
I am thinking it would work.

Work case is install a new carb kit with new needles and jets. Then when storing it for anything more than a week, shut the gas off and let it drain out.

The other trick I use (I have about a dozen small engines on various machines) is a bit of sea foam. It does well cleaning up carbs. I haven't had an engine failure using it.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,058 times
My yard machine riding lawn mower with a 17.0 hp engine has sat for about 2yrs. I tried to start it and it would not start. I took the carburator off and cleaned it out and put it back on the mower and it started. As soon as I stop using the choke, it dies. Any suggestions please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive