U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM
 
3,743 posts, read 10,288,806 times
Reputation: 2715

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I used to play the tag your it games when others messed with me on the road when I was a whippersnapper, young, full of p and vinegar but it gets old and dangerous after a bit plus it hit me one day that I was being just as ignorant as the other and just what was the point, I win yea ok whereís my idiot trophy.

Ya gotta kinda think at times that person might be trying to get somebody to the hospital not thinking that there are now things called ambulances, be drunk or high which nowadays is very likely, or just plain insane, could be dozens o reasons but either way when another gets involved then it introduces more idiots into the game and doubles the chances of serious consequences.

Now as far as Iím going to get out and beat youíre a** lil game, Iím going to bet that 99% of the time itís going to wind up not in your favor which would result in some purty heavy duty embarrassment one had not expected, crowbar, billyjack, knife, what ever sure has a hard time stopping bullets, drunks, dopers, and raging maniacs, one would be surprised just how fast those instruments of protection can be taken away and used on yourself, the guy might just wind up being mr super kung fu or one street fighter you wished youíd never met.

Another thing worth mentioning if a cop comes along and the innocent guy is the one that getís nailed well the idiot getís away and you wind up with a handful of tickets, the cop is not gonna listen to your story itís gonna be youíre the one I got so shut up or get in back of my nice police car, the only exception to the rule being that if the cop witnessed the incident which is very unlikely, think of it this way your playing games with an idiot that started playing games first, now you become unlawful also plus during those road rage miles someone totally unfamiliar with who did what sees you doing silly things and now they get on the cell and call it in as you being the one causing problems, guess who gets in the back of the cop car, worst case scenario one gets pushed or winds up in a traffic lane and poof gets hit by a car or truck then you have very serious problems.


Most hotheads I've seen in life never think beyond throwing that first punch, and are surprised for that first second after they do it before they get hit in the face themselves.

Any cop on a fight scene is just as likely to just throw everyone in jail and let a judge sort it out. All for what, not wanting some jerk to pass you? Totally not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Arkieville
109 posts, read 248,560 times
Reputation: 106
You're an idiot for getting out of the car. Whoever this was could've blown your head clean off your shoulders. But instead, you decided to get into a dick-measuring contest, which could've gotten you and your passenger killed. Aren't you cute.

You're a very lucky man. Try that crap in places like Atlanta or Jackson (MS) and see if you get the same result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Incognito
7,002 posts, read 17,416,135 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockrover View Post
You're an idiot for getting out of the car. Whoever this was could've blown your head clean off your shoulders. But instead, you decided to get into a dick-measuring contest, which could've gotten you and your passenger killed. Aren't you cute.

You're a very lucky man. Try that crap in places like Atlanta or Jackson (MS) and see if you get the same result.

Thank you for your input and the idiot compliment. This is Virginia bud and I know you don't need a license to carry a gun but I do have a CCW and if he would have done the slightest sign of pulling out a weapon it would have been a tragedy then. I know two wrongs don't make a right but like I mentioned: I HAD NO SPACE TO SWITCH LANES TO LET THE JERK PASS ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 AM
 
31,384 posts, read 29,062,319 times
Reputation: 14816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I do have a CCW and if he would have done the slightest sign of pulling out a weapon it would have been a tragedy.
God help us!

I've concealed carried for over 20 years in 5 states and if there is a person who should be allowed near a fire arm it is you.

Post after post you have demonstrated a real inability to manage your anger, the guy cut you off, so what? You aren't the first person to deal with an arse in traffic and I doubt that he will be the last. Anyone who has driven any length of time has dealt with the same jerk, we just get over it and go about our business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Incognito
7,002 posts, read 17,416,135 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
God help us!

I've concealed carried for over 20 years in 5 states and if there is a person who should be allowed near a fire arm it is you.

Post after post you have demonstrated a real inability to manage your anger, the guy cut you off, so what? You aren't the first person to deal with an arse in traffic and I doubt that he will be the last. Anyone who has driven any length of time has dealt with the same jerk, we just get over it and go about our business.

I guess we all learn from experience. I know better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Fort Myers Fl
2,305 posts, read 2,494,219 times
Reputation: 915
Looks like you fell for just what that idiot wanted. Now we have two idiots playing games on the highway.

Here in Southwest Florida you would never get to your destination. You would be busy playing idiot games all day! Be the bigger man and let him go find another idiot to play games with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
 
3,490 posts, read 6,896,537 times
Reputation: 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But in your post you mentioned that moving to the right lane was exactly wha he did to get around you. Either way, from the tone of your posts and subsequent responses, you guys seem to be a match made in road rage heaven.
Totally agree with this - Mr Cat WTH were you thinking??
If someone comes up behind you in the fast lane - YOU need to move. If he had room to go around you then you could have got out of the way too.

To then get out of your car????? I mean even if you don't care about your own safety, what about your poor wife?

My DH is very level headed, but something seems to happen to men when they are in charge of a car and I could see my husband making this kind of fool move too. Absolutely ridiculous and it sounds like this incident was 60% the other drivers fault and 40% your own.

It's NEVER worth it to risk the safety of your family - or potentially making yourself a murderer just so you can 'show him' that you're the better man. NEVER worth it.

If something like this happens again really try to take a deep breath - shake your head at the other driver's stupidity, and don't engage.
Even if you had put your blinker on to show that you would move over as soon as you could, it would almost certainly never have escalated like it did.

The better man IMHO is the one who doesn't start behaving like a jerk just because he other guy does. But as I said I could see my Dh doing the same thing so I know it's not just you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
 
Location: York, PA
2,467 posts, read 4,814,534 times
Reputation: 2214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Totally agree with this - Mr Cat WTH were you thinking??
If someone comes up behind you in the fast lane - YOU need to move. If he had room to go around you then you could have got out of the way too.

To then get out of your car????? I mean even if you don't care about your own safety, what about your poor wife?

My DH is very level headed, but something seems to happen to men when they are in charge of a car and I could see my husband making this kind of fool move too. Absolutely ridiculous and it sounds like this incident was 60% the other drivers fault and 40% your own.

It's NEVER worth it to risk the safety of your family - or potentially making yourself a murderer just so you can 'show him' that you're the better man. NEVER worth it.

If something like this happens again really try to take a deep breath - shake your head at the other driver's stupidity, and don't engage.
Even if you had put your blinker on to show that you would move over as soon as you could, it would almost certainly never have escalated like it did.

The better man IMHO is the one who doesn't start behaving like a jerk just because he other guy does. But as I said I could see my Dh doing the same thing so I know it's not just you.
Well said! Granted..we can't stop jerks from being who they are. However, WE who consider ourselves safe and courteous can control the way we respond to an aggressive driver. When we react to being tailgated or cut off in a hostile way, then in essence, we are escalating an incident that could not only have been prevented, but have potentially deadly consequences. Sadly, the bullies on the road will get theirs one day.

Last edited by Gil3; 12-22-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Incognito
7,002 posts, read 17,416,135 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Totally agree with this - Mr Cat WTH were you thinking??
If someone comes up behind you in the fast lane - YOU need to move. If he had room to go around you then you could have got out of the way too.

To then get out of your car????? I mean even if you don't care about your own safety, what about your poor wife?

My DH is very level headed, but something seems to happen to men when they are in charge of a car and I could see my husband making this kind of fool move too. Absolutely ridiculous and it sounds like this incident was 60% the other drivers fault and 40% your own.

It's NEVER worth it to risk the safety of your family - or potentially making yourself a murderer just so you can 'show him' that you're the better man. NEVER worth it.

If something like this happens again really try to take a deep breath - shake your head at the other driver's stupidity, and don't engage.
Even if you had put your blinker on to show that you would move over as soon as you could, it would almost certainly never have escalated like it did.

The better man IMHO is the one who doesn't start behaving like a jerk just because he other guy does. But as I said I could see my Dh doing the same thing so I know it's not just you.

Thank you for this post. After reading it it made me realize I did something stupid. I felt the other posters just wanted to lynch me, either I was weak kneed or an idiot.
Next time I will just get out of their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
 
3,490 posts, read 6,896,537 times
Reputation: 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Thank you for this post. After reading it it made me realize I did something stupid. I felt the other posters just wanted to lynch me, either I was weak kneed or an idiot.
Next time I will just get out of their way.
Oh good! I try and make my husband promise that he would do the same.... but I don't know. I just hope if it came down to it he would pause long enough to think it through.
Men don't like being pushed around - in fact I don't like being pushed around either, but would be way too afraid to get out of the car!!

But really it's such a bad idea, both from a legal point of view and a personal one and is liable to make everything so much worse.

Here's hoping that you never have to deal with a road rage situation again - Happy Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top