U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM

3,141 posts, read 6,829,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Thank you for this post. After reading it it made me realize I did something stupid. I felt the other posters just wanted to lynch me, either I was weak kneed or an idiot.
Next time I will just get out of their way.
No need to be sorry... just slam on your brakes next time someone is riding your ass... Cha ching! ...if he gets out of his vehicle to inflict harm... Cha ching! I brake check people all the time... I know if someone is riding my ass then they really have a problem because I always speed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
No need to be sorry... just slam on your brakes next time someone is riding your ass... Cha ching! ...if he gets out of his vehicle to inflict harm... Cha ching! I brake check people all the time... I know if someone is riding my ass then they really have a problem because I always speed!
To the best of my knowledge, if you slam on your brakes and the person tailgating swerves to avoid hitting you and ends up crashing into another vehicle, embankment, tree, etc, you are liable and responsible. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Personally, for the reasons mentioned above and to prevent a RR incident from escalating, I simply don't tap my brakes.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM

7,002 posts, read 17,424,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Trust me when I tell you I was VERY tempted of doing this.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM

24,043 posts, read 35,241,796 times
Mr. Cat - Here's what I've started doing, instead of what I used to do.

I picture the idiot and where he's going to end up some day. That would be dead from a horrendous accident, hopefully a single vehicle one, or shot by someone who acted like I used to and simply took care of the problem. Then I move aover ASAP. Putting on your signal so idiot boy can see your intent to move is a good idea. That assumes he's far enough back to se it....

As long as I'm not involved I'm happy.

Reminds me of a guy in an SUV that was tailgating us on the Interstate one winter. My wife was driving and the roads were bad, and I mean bad. Solid ice and snow, with on and off blizzard conditions. Just west of Iowa City (westbound) this guy got behind her in the left lane (she was passing a semi), and sat there. She just kept her speed and made him wait until she was safely past the truck and pulled over. This bozo flew past us and flipped her off. Real bright guy, that one.

About five miles down the road that same SUV is upside down off an exit ramp. Dumbass probably never figured why he had an accident. I'm sure that in his mind it was someone else's fault. I'll bet his insurance company disagreed with that sentiment.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM

7,002 posts, read 17,424,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mr. Cat - Here's what I've started doing, instead of what I used to do.

I picture the idiot and where he's going to end up some day. That would be dead from a horrendous accident, hopefully a single vehicle one, or shot by someone who acted like I used to and simply took care of the problem. Then I move aover ASAP. Putting on your signal so idiot boy can see your intent to move is a good idea. That assumes he's far enough back to se it....

As long as I'm not involved I'm happy.

Reminds me of a guy in an SUV that was tailgating us on the Interstate one winter. My wife was driving and the roads were bad, and I mean bad. Solid ice and snow, with on and off blizzard conditions. Just west of Iowa City (westbound) this guy got behind her in the left lane (she was passing a semi), and sat there. She just kept her speed and made him wait until she was safely past the truck and pulled over. This bozo flew past us and flipped her off. Real bright guy, that one.

About five miles down the road that same SUV is upside down off an exit ramp. Dumbass probably never figured why he had an accident. I'm sure that in his mind it was someone else's fault. I'll bet his insurance company disagreed with that sentiment.

I guess he was in a "rush" to get into that accident, huh?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 PM

24,043 posts, read 35,241,796 times
Yeah, and pay those higher insurance premiums!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM

7,281 posts, read 21,592,764 times
Hmm... just yesterday I was driving on a two-lane residential area road. I was in my Mercedes (which I did not want to get crashed up). I was going 35 mph in a 25mph, but some idiot in a late 1990s Pontiac Grand AM decided he wanted to practically push me out of the way. It was not but .5 of a mile I veered off onto another road and let him take the bridge blvd. I thought to myself, "the road is all yours Jack". It ironically turns into a 4-lane as it approaches MLK Jr. BLVD, so he had two lanes to speed on.

Sometimes if someone tailgates me, I will normally rapidly speed up. I have also been known to get over off of the shoulder and slow down and let them pass.

I used to know someone that did this as well, but then once the tailgater got around, they would get on their tail.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,085,466 times
Never escalate it and make it worse. I just call in a detailed report to the state patrol and let them take care of it. I might be highly trained and skilled with weapons, but I'd rather not have bullets flying around on a road where innocent bystanders could take a bullet. That would be the absolute last resort for me. All the tough guy talk about stopping to confront someone and punch em, stab em, beat em or shoot em are usually the ones that end up in the hospital or worse not to mention other people getting hurt and all the legal issues involved. So what some azzhat cuts you off? Big deal. Call the cops and let them sort it out. It's not worth ruining my life over. Highway Patrol is always looking to write reckless driving tickets.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 PM

765 posts, read 1,621,040 times

http://www.treehugger.com/road-rage-hypermiling-002.jpg (broken link)

Is this what you want your kids to see?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 14,118,364 times
I've mellowed with age and just do the best I can to get out of their way. I turn on my turn signal to let them know I'm trying to move over. Here in Houston you'd get shot in a hurry.

But when I was younger I'd stare them down....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive