U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM

535 posts, read 1,467,866 times

Advertisements

The last time I had someone pull that crap I was on I40 heading to Asheville. There were a few semis in the right lane and I was stuck behind a car who wouldn't go faster than 1 mile over the speed limit. As I waited for them to speed up the guy behind me started flashing his headlights. I could see him gesturing. We finally got over and he passed but not before he took the time to drive next to me, roll down his window and yell a few things at me. I smiled and waved. He took off. Part way up the interstate a NC SHP had him pulled. Being the nice guy I am I waved as I went by.

When I was in VB I had some moron tailgate me in the snow. We were driving up Centerville Tpk, which had deep ditches. Moron passes me, got up maybe 5 cars ahead then spun around and went into the ditch. I pulled into the 7-11 and called the cops.

Best one was coming home from work one night and some guy on a motorcycle was riding my bumper. I nailed it a few times, nope, he was going to hug me. Got to my street, he's still there. I did a break check, he went around me. I pulled into the yard and he comes back by me yelling. I open up the house, head back to the car to get something and he zooms by again, this time showing me is IQ or number of married parents (middle finger). I am walking up to the house when he comes flying by and eats it. Off the bike he goes, the bike slides for 2 houses and he rolls for at least 1. I call the cops, explain what happened. "Sir, is he ok?" "No idea, when he decided to use my street for his personal raceway I gave up caring. But I can hear him moaning". She muffled a laugh. Turns out it was the kid behind me on his dad's bike, which he tore up badly. Cops came, got him for drunk driving. I said I'd help push the bike home, cop said no can do. They towed it, kid went to jail, didn't want to wake dad up to get him. Dad was really pissed the next day when he got up to go to work and his bike wasn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 07:17 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,586,667 times
One of these days someone is going to take it one step farther than you. I hope you survive it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,295,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
No need to be sorry... just slam on your brakes next time someone is riding your ass... Cha ching! ...if he gets out of his vehicle to inflict harm... Cha ching! I brake check people all the time... I know if someone is riding my ass then they really have a problem because I always speed!
What's the point of this anyway? Wreck your car just to prove a point? Put yourself in a situation where your car is disabled and you're with a pissed off stranger? On the side of a road with speeding cars no less? Dumb move, once again putting yourself in jeopardy over your ego.

This is why I don't tailgate, I just pass. If someone's faster than me, I just get over, I don't care if their jerks. People just act like morons when they get in traffic and one lesson I've taken from auto racing is its better to be ahead of the pack than in it when some moron goofs up and you become collateral damage.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 AM

7,002 posts, read 17,424,759 times
Well, this very same morning (12/26) on my way to work, a driver on a Ford Explorer just would not give way. He was on the left lane, I was behind him and each time I attempted to pass him (I was 4 to 5 car lenghts behind MIND you) he would switch lane and wouldn't let me pass him. This went on for about 10 miles and what did I do? Nothing. I just slowed down and let him hug all the road.
I have to admit I was pissed off at first but then I remembered all the positive posts on here so I just let it go.
Once again I say it, I wish I had a .50 caliber machine gun on my car. Damn Virginia drivers!!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

113 posts, read 107,360 times
One of the things I've considered in the past is to wire a universal pump to a resevoir filled with some noxious liquid (Hydraulic fluid? Brake fluid? Paint thinner? Not too sure exactly what, yet... ) and have the nozzle concealed somewhere on the back bumper.

Then I would aim it so that the arc of spray would take it onto the tailgating offenders grill, hood, and windshield.

I just haven't sat down to perfect the design. :sigh:

THAT will fix those tailgaters.

I can picture the conversation right now...
"Honey, what happened to the paint on the Mustang?"

"Well... see... as you know, I have a small d*** and I need to compensate by driving a flashy car and by driving it like an a**h***. Well, doggone it if this car I was trying to impress/intimidate didn't blow a brake line two feet in front of me on the highway. At least that's what it seems like... I mean, brake fluid was spraying from under his truck and all over the hood."

"Wow. A blown brake line? Did he end up in an accident?"

"Oh, you know it was more important that I get my cappucino and pack of cigarettes... I'm important. I can't be bothered with such things as safety, or courtesy. Still, I think if he didn't get in an accident, we should sue him for getting in my way, at least."

"What if he got in an accident?"

"We can wait to sue him until he's out of the hospital, I suppose."
Now before you respond by saying "if you did that to me I would have you arrested" or "I'd sue you for damage to my overcompensationmobile"; well, I guess you could try to do such things...

First you'd need to see my license plate through your now smeared up and greasy window. Then, you'd need to convince a cop that it wasn't an honest mechanical breakdown on my part (if they wanted to eventually find me. "Son, I noticed you blew a seal in your engine. Gonna have to take you to jail for inconveniencing an arrogant pr***.").

Good luck with all that.

Or maybe, just maybe, people could stop driving like a**h**** and hang up the phone. Put down the mascara. Stop tailgating. Use turn-signals. STOP AT STOP SIGNS.

Stop putting my life at risk to stoke your own ego. Nobody cares how important you think you are. Moron*.

[Not directed at any one person on this thread but to the "I'm more important than you are, get out of my way or I'll ride your a**; stop for me even though I have the stop sign/red light, safety doesn't matter, just me me ME!" types.]

Last edited by Binky .357; 01-04-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,295,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
One of the things I've considered in the past is to wire a universal pump to a resevoir filled with some noxious liquid (Hydraulic fluid? Brake fluid? Paint thinner? Not too sure exactly what, yet... ) and have the nozzle concealed somewhere on the back bumper.

Then I would aim it so that the arc of spray would take it onto the tailgating offenders grill, hood, and windshield.

I just haven't sat down to perfect the design. :sigh:

THAT will fix those tailgaters.

I can picture the conversation right now...
"Honey, what happened to the paint on the Mustang?"

"Well... see... as you know, I have a small d*** and I need to compensate by driving a flashy car and by driving it like an a**h***. Well, doggone it if this car I was trying to impress/intimidate didn't blow a brake line two feet in front of me on the highway. At least that's what it seems like... I mean, brake fluid was spraying from under his truck and all over the hood."

"Wow. A blown brake line? Did he end up in an accident?"

"Oh, you know it was more important that I get my cappucino and pack of cigarettes... I'm important. I can't be bothered with such things as safety, or courtesy. Still, I think if he didn't get in an accident, we should sue him for getting in my way, at least."

"What if he got in an accident?"

"We can wait to sue him until he's out of the hospital, I suppose."
Now before you respond by saying "if you did that to me I would have you arrested" or "I'd sue you for damage to my overcompensationmobile"; well, I guess you could try to do such things...

First you'd need to see my license plate through your now smeared up and greasy window. Then, you'd need to convince a cop that it wasn't an honest mechanical breakdown on my part (if they wanted to eventually find me. "Son, I noticed you blew a seal in your engine. Gonna have to take you to jail for inconveniencing an arrogant pr***.").

Good luck with all that.

Or maybe, just maybe, people could stop driving like a**h**** and hang up the phone. Put down the mascara. Stop tailgating. Use turn-signals. STOP AT STOP SIGNS.

Stop putting my life at risk to stoke your own ego. Nobody cares how important you think you are. Moron*.

[Not directed at any one person on this thread but to the "I'm more important than you are, get out of my way or I'll ride your a**; stop for me even though I have the stop sign/red light, safety doesn't matter, just me me ME!" types.]
You sure put a lot of energy and thought into how to be a bad driver and damage other people's property.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Who says I'm a bad driver? Many people complain that I'm overly cautious.

As for damaging other peoples property, would it really be damaged if they were showing a little consideration and not risking my safety/life by driving like an a**h**** and following way too close?

I put a lot of thought into it because sometimes it's unavoidable to be stuck in traffic when some idiot who wasn't paying attention to driving wrecked their car and tied up freeway traffic for ten miles behind them. Being stuck on the freeway for an hour gives one time to think of such things.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

9,856 posts, read 12,248,913 times
Whenever someone tailgates me I slow down to about 10 mph under the speed limit until they stop tailgating. As soon as they back off, I speed up again. Some people get the message, some don't. In the past week I have driven over 1200 miles...if I got pissed off at every a** on the road I would have had a stroke or something.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM

11,583 posts, read 17,272,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
Who says I'm a bad driver? Many people complain that I'm overly cautious.

As for damaging other peoples property, would it really be damaged if they were showing a little consideration and not risking my safety/life by driving like an a**h**** and following way too close?

I put a lot of thought into it because sometimes it's unavoidable to be stuck in traffic when some idiot who wasn't paying attention to driving wrecked their car and tied up freeway traffic for ten miles behind them. Being stuck on the freeway for an hour gives one time to think of such things.
It would be much simpler to stay out of the left lane and let them pass.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It would be much simpler to stay out of the left lane and let them pass.
That's all well and good on a four-lane highway, but on a two lane road when they're riding my a**, the "left lane" is the shoulder. The ones that tailgate me are the same ones who think it's okay to ride my a** when I'm not going 70 miles an hour on half an inch of frozen rain and jeprodize my safety but somehow see it as too dangerous to pass when there's plenty of room to do so.

I'm pi**** at the ones who honk at me when I actually stop at a red light and wait for the traffic that has the right of way. I'm pi**** at the ones who insist on cutting around me into the two second buffer I leave between me and the car in front of me on the freeway becuase they're in too d*** big of a hurry (I've had people speed up to pass me because I left a gap between me and the semi in front of me on the freeway only to cut in and slam on their brakes. Tell me how that is safe driving...).

Those who don't like my brake fluid-pump method should be happy I scrapped my mason jar filled with roofing nails idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive