Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times

Advertisements

I have an unused engine block heater in my garage. I am wondering if it would be worth installing on a gasoline engine? Or would it be better suited on a diesel engine?

I live in a climate that in the winter can get down to zero degrees, as it is right now 6 degrees Fahrenheit at 1 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Heck I'd install it. Your anti-freeze should be good enough, but just think about the heater working as soon as you start it up.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
I am assuming this is a freeze plug heater? Hope your vehicle is fairly recent, either way your going to have a fun time installing it.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Gasoline or diesel, there are multiple benefits from starting a warmer engine than one that's cold-soaked at close to zero degrees.

You don't need to run the block heater continuously, but just enough to bring the water and block temp up a little bit. Use a timer to power up the block heater a few hours before you need to start the motor for your normal commute.

Don't anticipate having "instant" heat from your heater. Ideally, the block heater only needs to bring the block water temp up to 50-60 degrees to make it's beneficial impact upon starting the engine. If it's brought the water temp up to 100 degrees ... or more ... it's being used excessively. A thermostatically controlled block heater won't bring the temp up that high, and an in-block heating element is way oversized if it's bringing the temp up that high.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
And if it shorts out your car burns up. Been there, done that! Luckily I had it under the carport next to the living room and heard a loud pop. Went to look and the whole passenger side of the engine compartment was in flames. Dude next door came over with the biggest fire extinguisher I've ever seen and put it out. If would have been in the detached garage.....

Fire department came and really soaked it down. Total loss.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:32 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I have an unused engine block heater in my garage. I am wondering if it would be worth installing on a gasoline engine? Or would it be better suited on a diesel engine?

I live in a climate that in the winter can get down to zero degrees, as it is right now 6 degrees Fahrenheit at 1 am.
A block heater for one engine won't necessarily fit in the next engine.

It sounds to me like you don't live in an extreme climate (temps getting to -10, etc.). That said, I'd suggest you might want to do a couple other things.
1. Make sure your battery is good.
2. Run lightweight (5W30) oil. Better yet, run full synthetic oil. It turns over more easily in extreme cold.

If your temps don't get below zero, you should be fine.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Ok for those who asked

No it's not a freeze plug heater, it installs in line with the heater core hose.

I run 5W-30, not synthetic because it leaks oil.

New batt

It's been getting close to 0 F here and it may get even colder.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Ok for those who asked

No it's not a freeze plug heater, it installs in line with the heater core hose.

I run 5W-30, not synthetic because it leaks oil.

New batt

It's been getting close to 0 F here and it may get even colder.
Gotcha.

Synthetic will definitely leak just a little more than dino.

I guess if it was me, I'd probably install it. It's not going to hurt anything, and if you already own it, what they heck. Just be sure to note whether it is supposed to be in the horizontal or vertical position.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And if it shorts out your car burns up. Been there, done that! Luckily I had it under the carport next to the living room and heard a loud pop. Went to look and the whole passenger side of the engine compartment was in flames. Dude next door came over with the biggest fire extinguisher I've ever seen and put it out. If would have been in the detached garage.....

Fire department came and really soaked it down. Total loss.
Ironic, eh.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
I'm in Virginia. It doesn't get as cold here as it gets in the north, although right now it's 15 degrees. I use an engine block heater in our Prius. Got it set up on a timer ... 3 hours on the EBH, and the Prius is ready to get good mileage right out of the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive