Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,870 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide between these two - the higher end options like the:

TomTom 720
TomTom 920T
TomTom 920

& the:

Garmin Nuvi 770
Garmin Nuvi 660

Etc... Etc...

I am so confused my head is spinning... Information overload. I like the extras but want to know which one is a better navigational unit for the USA. Which has easier interaction, set up, usage... Which has better maps, updates, etc... I love the voice operable feature of some - hate the idea of fumbling with typing things in on the screen. One of the Garmins actually locates your car for you - fun & convenient - but don't know if that's a reason to buy it. Then there's the price for one vs another - is the higher price worth it or do you get just the same for less money in another?

I could go on & on with the questions... but I'll start with that... Details please, "I like this one" isn't really all that helpful at this point because I've found equal numbers of people who prefer one over the other.

Thanks... thinky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Garmin Nuvi.

I just don't like the TomTom's very much. Some people do I guess, but everybody I know that has tried both really like the Nuvi line from Garmin.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
I've read quite a few discussions on City-Data about navigator systems. The three links below are the ones that first came to my mind.

The first two are from the Automotive Board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ghlight=garmin

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ghlight=garmin

The one below is from the Science and Technology Board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...ghlight=garmin

Also, I've noticed that on some of the individual state boards, folks will have discussions about GPS systems and, specifically, which ones work in a particular area. Good luck with your search. Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,566 times
I have a garmin nuvi 650

Love it.

Only a few bells and whistles differences between the 650 and 660. Just check what features you want as that will lead you pretty well to what unit will best serve your needs. I beleive the 660 has bluetooth which the 650 does not. I did not need to have that on my GPS. There are also a few other options I did not need so I feel 650 was ok for me. I also have a few functions on mine that I will never use but overall, the complete North America maps and the wide screen are great for me. For one trip, I drove from Long Island up to Ontario and it worked fine. No problems at all. Mine recalculates VERY quick. Only a few times has it taken me on a route that I would not have taken myself but there are tons of settings you can set for certain roads, such as avoiding toll roads, no interstates, etc. Overall its very accurate and efficient. I think the Tom Tom uses a different map provider....I believe they own Tele Atlas, which they purchased a while back. The other big map provider is NavTeq which Nokia recently purchased. Garmin has a 10 year agreement for maps from them. I highly recommend Garmin. One last perk: NORTH AMERICA CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Any other questions, feel free to let me know. I just wrote a quick post here.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,161 times
My vote is for Garmin, I have the Nuvi 350 and it works great. I did alot of research before I purchased and Garmin came out on top for me.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
I'd go with Garmin!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Garmin all the way, the maps and directions are much better than provided by either Magellan or Tom Tom. I know the Today Show did a test of GPS systems in the most confusing city in the US to drive...Boston, MA and the Garmin won all the tests I believe. I have a built-in navigation system on my Denali but if I didn't, I know Garmin would be my first choice. Right now I'd say 90% of my friends who own GPS systems have a Garmin and I'd say 40% of them switched from either a TomTom or Magellan to a Garmin so that's saying something! Garmin all the way!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
I've never used a TomTom I have a Garmin. I can tell you I my company had the wrong address for a store in a small town in central ILL. When I got there I was in the middle of corn fields. I called and got the correct address, programed it into my Garmin. It actually had me turn onto a two track dirt road for .4 mi. It was sunny and dry so I figured why not? The next turn was onto a state highway less than .5 mi from my destination. That dirt road didn't show on any map I had. I have no Idea how that lady in the Garmin unit knew it was there.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Which GPS unit lets you do free updates?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
I really don't know much about them, but if I am not mistaken, Tom Tom is made by Qualcomm. That is a company that I respect deeply. They keep debt low and have made it a point to bring technology to third word countries (like Arkansas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive