Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one to ever do it, but here is just that setup. This was into a '61 Apache 10 project I did a few years back.
Sadly I had to sell the truck this past June. It lives in Orlando now, AFAIK.
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Default 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

Kindof an old thread, but ran across this old and odd optioned Caddy on ebay. Its a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, which was Cadillacs largest model in 1973. This one even has the optional and very luxurious "D' Elegance" option, which added a extra luxurious velour interior (as if it wasnt already luxurious enough with the standard interior, lol), etc. Strange thing is this car lacks some options that were often seen on even the lower trim line Cadillacs that year... this car is lacking cruise control and the "twilight sentinel" option, which was even seen on most DeVilles in 1973. Also appears to not even have tilt wheel, which was very rare for a 73 Cadillac. Even my 72 Caprice wagon and 73 Pontiac Grand Ville both have the optional tilt wheel. Strange to see a Fleetwood without it, especially the d' Elegance model. Also many Fleetwoods had the opera light option on the c-pillar, this one dont have it, which also seems odd, but I have never liked these lights. Well its a nice old car... would love to have it in my driveway.

Cadillac : Fleetwood: eBay Motors (item 230519547487 end time Sep-08-10 10:05:00 PDT)

note the lack of the cruise control (button not on the signal stalk) and no optional twilight sentinel on the headlight switch... (very unusual)

Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
I would like to have that Cadillac. Great car. That car is not too far away from me either.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Talking lets go a riding in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
-> Has anyone ever seen cars with bizarre equipment before? I mean old cars.
First car I remember riding in was a green Pontiac --

Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
That '73 Fleetwood looks to be in very good condition, Tennesseestorm.
Notice that the climate control is set on "Hi," and at 65 degrees... must have been a hot day!

It also has a very early build date... Aug., 1972.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default great posts

but you know, except for the footrest rail and the distinctive ends that hold the door pullstraps(as well those back of front seat pullstraps), it would seem that cars like the Caprice and LTD Brougham are just as luxurious as this car inside in terms of finish

I would tend to see more of "difference" between the Imperials and a new Yorker Brougham however

Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Question of the day

is the Cad's interior finish of a higher quality than the Caprice/LTD interiors, assuming the owners keeps it up all things being equal?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
but you know, except for the footrest rail and the distinctive ends that hold the door pullstraps(as well those back of front seat pullstraps), it would seem that cars like the Caprice and LTD Brougham are just as luxurious as this car inside in terms of finish
There are more differences than just the rear footrests. The Cadillac has its own 472-cu-in engine... a very smooth and refined engine. The Cadillac has its own individual (longer) wheelbase (133"). The Cadillac is heavier and has a smoother ride and is quieter.

The Cadillac has better interior materials and the production line is slower (more time is allowed to build and test cars).

Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Still find no cruise, tilt or twilight sentinel options very strange on this car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I would like to have that Cadillac. Great car. That car is not too far away from me either.
Me too! You should buy it!
My bank account nor driveway is big enough for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That '73 Fleetwood looks to be in very good condition, Tennesseestorm.
Notice that the climate control is set on "Hi," and at 65 degrees... must have been a hot day!

It also has a very early build date... Aug., 1972.
Yeah, noticed that too... we can guess the A/C probably works. Yeah, I noticed that very early build date as well... interesting because my 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville was also made in August of 1972. (8/72)

Quote:

I would tend to see more of "difference" between the Imperials and a new Yorker Brougham however
This d'Elegance option on the Fleetwood was the "cream of the crop" of the "cream of the crop" from the "cream of the crop" from GM. Clearly GM's finest luxury sedan for 1973, probably the most costly car GM offered in 73 without opting up to the limos. Note this d'Elegance has very thick cut pile shag carpeting and it also appears to have a special headliner material. The inside of the 73 Caprice and 73 LTD Brougham are really nice, especially the LTD Brougham, but to me, this Fleetwood and even the DeVille seem to have a more luxury look than the Caprice or LTD Brougham as it was meant to be. Definitely a close race with the LTD Brougham, which IMO and oddly appears more luxurious than the standard 73 Lincoln Continentals door panels/seats. Ford seemed to make the LTD Brougham surpass the Continental in the early 70s.
Again, here is the 73 LTD Brougham interior...

and here is the standard 73 Fleetwood Brougham interior...

and the 73 Sedan DeVille (which is basically the same as the standard Fleetwood, but the seat material is different)...

but look at the base 73 Lincoln Continental... dont it look more bland than the 73 Ford LTD Brougham?

you about have to step up to the 73 "Town Car" option to get a really luxury look...

exterior is really attractive though...

another view... base 74 Continental interior.... (note the lack of woodgrain trim on the door panels)

and the Town Car for 74...

and a refresher... a 73 Caprice Classic interior...

Quote:
is the Cad's interior finish of a higher quality than the Caprice/LTD interiors, assuming the owners keeps it up all things being equal?
I agree with Fleet and said its better finish. I think that Pontiac ranked last, which is odd, you would think it would be Chevy, but Pontiac has often ranked lower in the fit-n-finish department when compared to other GM cars. You would think it would be Chevy. I know that in the 90s, Pontiacs had the lowest rating of GM cars with fit-n-finish. My 73 Pontiac is the top level model, but it seems the Cadillac may have had better fit-n-finish in most areas. My 72 Caprice seems to have better fit-n-finish than my 73 Grand Ville. 73 was the year that Ford was really started offering high quality cars, solid closing doors, nice fit-n-finish, so it would be a close call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are more differences than just the rear footrests. The Cadillac has its own 472-cu-in engine... a very smooth and refined engine. The Cadillac has its own individual (longer) wheelbase (133"). The Cadillac is heavier and has a smoother ride and is quieter.

The Cadillac has better interior materials and the production line is slower (more time is allowed to build and test cars).
Agreed.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Default wow this is my first

time seeing Lincoln brochures, but i gotta tell you, that red velour on that Caprice is NIYICE!! I think you posted a 72 LTD that had red velour too

OK, maybe not quite up to Cad par, but they sure tried as hard as they could!!

and this is coming from a Mopar fan, despite how i love them, Mopar interiors ****!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive