U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 PM

11,009 posts, read 14,027,645 times
Default Do you remember the

1969 Chrysler Newport? it was the first year in it's fuselage styling and Consumer Reports rated it to be one of the noisiest cars of that year. The other competitors tested (Pontiac Bonneville, Buick leSabre, Mercury) were rated as "quiet" but the Newport was "Fairly noisy" which was no better than how many compacts were rated. Imagine shelling out a lot of $$ for a medium standard that has a noise level not much lower than than of a Dart!!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM

11,009 posts, read 14,027,645 times
Default I liked the

Dodge Charger coupes and Plymouth Satellite Sebring coupes from 73 and 74, reminded me of Monte Carlos and Gran Torinos but something uniquely Chrysler about them

Remember in the movie Sudden Impact with Clint Eastwood from 1983--he gets chased in his 74 Satellite by thugs in a 74 Impala all of whom he sends flying over into a river and they all die

Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,415,412 times
Yes, 1974 was about the last year I cared for the 4dr GM cars and 1973 for the 2drs- same for the Ford/Mercury, but really never liked the 2dr Fords/Mercurys, but always liked the wagons, even up through 1978. Mopar- while unique, never was much of a fan of them, except the 71-73 Imperial, 1971-72 New Yorker, 1971-73 Gran Fury and Monaco 4drs.

The early 70s AMC cars were strange. The Ambassador was considered the big AMC, but like you said, it never seemed much larger than the Matador. Matador was neat, but had a strange and boring dash. Ambassador was slightly better. Also, the Ambassador was never as large as the other big 3 during its run in the 70s.

1973 Ambassador Brougham - which had a nice luxury look....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/1973_Ambassador_4-d_401.JPG/800px- (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
that after 1974, the big cars like the GM and Fords styling got excessive and ungainly in appearance for 75 and 76 before the downsizing in 77? The LTD's, Impala's etc styling lost the subtlety found in the 73 and 72? Remember the old 76 Mercury Marquis John Candy drove in the 1989 movie Uncle Buck? Grilles got overwrought and back lights started to look real dull.

By 74 the Mopars lost all that was uniquely Chrysler.

BTW, do you have any opinion on the old AMC Matador and Ambassador? Kind of stodgy in appearance? I thought both were the same size but the former was mid size, the latter full sized

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Um, that would be a disappointment.

I never rode in an late 60s/early 70s Mopar, but I had a 1969 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr hardtop sedan not too long ago (the one in the photo) that had a feather soft ride. It had a very cushy ride and was quiet. The interior was also amazing quiet and was squeak and rattle free. This was the top of the line Chevy for 1969 and was the competetor to the Ford LTD Brougham and Plymouth Fury VIP. I was going to restore this car, but it was more than I wanted to deal with. It was a high optioned car as well. It had the 396 engine, turbo automatic, power windows, power door locks, tilt wheel, vinyl top, A/C, power steering, power disc brakes, additional courtesy light option, AM-FM radio, hideaway headlights w/washers (were open in one of the photos) and brocade cloth interior. The hubcaps in photo 1 were the originals, but in photos 2-3 I had the deluxe photos that were optional that year. I regret selling this car. The guy that bought it was going to use it for parts, but after he saw how smooth it was, he said no way and he was going to restore it! I hope so. As you can see, the interior was in need of help - the car was all original. The guy said he was going to change the car to all black, with black interior. I would have kept the interior original and just changed the carpeting, recovered the seats, etc, since the door panels were still nice as as the dash. All of that would have to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
1969 Chrysler Newport? it was the first year in it's fuselage styling and Consumer Reports rated it to be one of the noisiest cars of that year. The other competitors tested (Pontiac Bonneville, Buick leSabre, Mercury) were rated as "quiet" but the Newport was "Fairly noisy" which was no better than how many compacts were rated. Imagine shelling out a lot of $$ for a medium standard that has a noise level not much lower than than of a Dart!!.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM

18,042 posts, read 14,852,240 times
Wow... I like the interior design of that '69 Chevy. The door panels, seats, dash. It's nice not to see a door panel not made of 100% plastic!

And that 396 engine doesn't hurt, either!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wow... I like the interior design of that '69 Chevy. The door panels, seats, dash. It's nice not to see a door panel not made of 100% plastic!

And that 396 engine doesn't hurt, either!
Yeah, I liked it too. They were solid too. Not one rattle from them. I was having problems finding those parts that the door handles attached to. As you can see, they were discolored/chipped. Otherwise the panels were nice - they were padded on top, had the woodgrain trim, brocade cloth and carpeting. Some of the 69' Caprices had more like a solid cloth material (not brocade).

I will also add that the interior build quality on my old 69' Caprice was much better than that of my old 71' Caprice, but it had as much as a luxury interior (brocade cloth, etc), but oddly it did not have the brocade trim on the door panels - that was more of a silk feeling cloth.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I liked it too. They were solid too. Not one rattle from them. I was having problems finding those parts that the door handles attached to. As you can see, they were discolored/chipped. Otherwise the panels were nice - they were padded on top, had the woodgrain trim, brocade cloth and carpeting. Some of the 69' Caprices had more like a solid cloth material (not brocade).
If you can find some door handles and door armrests, that interior would look great. Is the steering column metal like it is on my 2 Cads?

Quote:
I will also add that the interior build quality on my old 69' Caprice was much better than that of my old 71' Caprice, but it had as much as a luxury interior (brocade cloth, etc), but oddly it did not have the brocade trim on the door panels - that was more of a silk feeling cloth
There was a G.M. strike which delayed production of the 1971 models. Some car enthusiasts believe that the strike hurt the build quality on the early 1971 models. Could be.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM

47,991 posts, read 43,478,470 times
comfort and safety have gone up fuel economy down.
i think that americans have a lot of their identity wrapped up in cars.
i think that is going to change very soon.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
comfort and safety have gone up fuel economy down.
i think that americans have a lot of their identity wrapped up in cars.
i think that is going to change very soon.
I don't think so. Car shows out here are just as popular, if not more so, now than 1 or 2 years ago.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Yeah, the steering column was metal on it and I think they are metal on my 72' Caprice and 73' Grand Ville as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If you can find some door handles and door armrests, that interior would look great. Is the steering column metal like it is on my 2 Cads?

There was a G.M. strike which delayed production of the 1971 models. Some car enthusiasts believe that the strike hurt the build quality on the early 1971 models. Could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive